What did you do to your JK today?

Installed LED headlights. Was hoping the gold would match a little better to the paint color, but I don’t think they look too bad. Also installed the rear view camera / mirror. @Dirty Dog tried everything to fit the wires through that hole. Tried from engine bay, the interior, even cut my wiring for my GMRS radio I had through that hole in hopes of gaining some space, still didn’t help. Had the the fuses selected and all. It does seem they changed the fuses as the one I have I can piggy back a fuse. I removed the fuse plugged in their device and then placed the fuse in it so there were two fuses next to each other. I’m not sure if theirs would come out as I didn’t try but looked like it would.

CFF38D69-0EAB-4CEA-9811-FCFB87D53A89.jpeg

C30A1180-0E5A-4FBF-9F66-E15A3E3A085F.jpeg

Last edited:
Mine have been in for 12yrs. I got the easy one out (and that was a Bitch), it was okay, gap to spec. I only have 72K Kilometers on the the JK, so forget the other 5. They will out live me.

Seventy Two K and still going strong ! That’s a positive sign . Changed plugs & wires in all sorts of vehicles without and sort of issues .
Don’t really know why the JK
is so finicky when it comes to plugs ? Either seized in the head or boots permanently attached to the plug . It’s all over the forums .
Wondering if it has to do with engine running on the warm side ? Who knows , it’s Just a drag when what should be a simple job turns into a
situation from the Galaxy of WTF .

Installed LED headlights. Was hoping the gold would match a little better to the paint color, but I don’t think they look too bad. Also installed the rear view camera / mirror. @Dirty Dog tried everything to fit the wires through that hole. Tried from engine bay, the interior, even cut my wiring for my GMRS radio I had through that hole in hopes of gaining some space, still didn’t help. Had the the fuses selected and all. It does seem they changed the fuses as the one I have I can piggy back a fuse. I removed the fuse plugged in their device and then placed the fuse in it so there were two fuses next to each other. I’m not sure if theirs would come out as I didn’t try but looked like it would.

View attachment 123787
View attachment 123786

Looks good !

Did my 07 Rubi plugs and wires at 90k. Maybe I just got lucky. Every wire popped right off and every plug came right out easy peazy. 🍺🍺

I could very well be over thinking things at this point .
But my boots were def not coming off of plugs. Not a clue as to how long they have been on . Once power steering pump is dealt with and couple other things going to order new wires & ignition coil .
I think doing the whole works in one shot is the way to go .
Already have the replacement champion plugs .

I could very well be over thinking things at this point .
But my boots were def not coming off of plugs. Not a clue as to how long they have been on . Once power steering pump is dealt with and couple other things going to order new wires & ignition coil .
I think doing the whole works in one shot is the way to go .
Already have the replacement champion plugs .
You have to destroy the boot to get it off at that age, I found. I am going to replace the rest of my ignition wires when it is spring/summer.

Installed LED headlights. Was hoping the gold would match a little better to the paint color, but I don’t think they look too bad. Also installed the rear view camera / mirror. @Dirty Dog tried everything to fit the wires through that hole. Tried from engine bay, the interior, even cut my wiring for my GMRS radio I had through that hole in hopes of gaining some space, still didn’t help.
Number of wires already through the hole is definitely a limiting factor. It's not that big, and it is filled with foam. I pass wires through using a sharp stick. Get about a foot of 3/8" dowel. Sand a taper on one end. On the other end, cut a slot. Put the wires in this to minimize the increase in diameter.
Had the the fuses selected and all. It does seem they changed the fuses as the one I have I can piggy back a fuse. I removed the fuse plugged in their device and then placed the fuse in it so there were two fuses next to each other. I’m not sure if theirs would come out as I didn’t try but looked like it would.
That's excellent! I emailed them about the fuses, and also mentioned it in their Amazon review. Maybe they actually listened. :)

You have to destroy the boot to get it off at that age, I found. I am going to replace the rest of my ignition wires when it is spring/summer.

Yeah that’s what I’m thinking .
When attempted last didn’t want to reef to hard on the wires as didn’t have replacements .
But after what yourself and couple others mentioned probably will need to cut off boots etc .
Thankfully new NGK wires and coil aren’t crazy expensive . When I did a 71 Mustang late 80’s . Mallory electronic distributor , MSD box , Mallory wires . Remember it being pretty steeply priced for that stuff . At the time it was pretty cutting edge for ignition setup.

Reactions: TROY66/68
Yeah that’s what I’m thinking .
When attempted last didn’t want to reef to hard on the wires as didn’t have replacements .
But after what yourself and couple others mentioned probably will need to cut off boots etc .
Thankfully new NGK wires and coil aren’t crazy expensive . When I did a 71 Mustang late 80’s . Mallory electronic distributor , MSD box , Mallory wires . Remember it being pretty steeply priced for that stuff . At the time it was pretty cutting edge for ignition setup.
Got my NGKs wires from Amazon.ca. When I met my wife in the 80s, she had and loved Stangs. Was no 5L.

@Danarch "Was hoping the gold would match a little better to the paint color, but I don’t think they look too bad." They look awesome in my opinion. That color Jeep is really nice too. One of my favs.
Thank you, my son said they look like a sore thumb.

I am waiting on a new right side exhaust cam. Had the dreaded tick. I only noticed it a few weeks ago but it chewed up a cam lobe. One bad rocker arm at 175k miles. Wish I had heard it sooner possibly could have saved the cam. $260 for the mopar cam from rockauto. Hopefully the filter caught the metal bits. I will be putting all new rocker arms on this side. I may have to check the other side too. No noise yet, but debating if I should just change the rocker arms on that side too. Of course if i do that, while I have everything off, I should probably just replace the plastic filter housing with the new aluminum one. I have a couple of days before the cam gets here to decide.

I'm not original owner bought it with 160k. Looks like it was well maintained not sure if any failed before nothing was in the carfax. Yeah I know this would of cost thousands. A shop probably would of wanted to replace the engine. YouTube is definitely your friend when it comes to this work. Straight forward just time consuming. Worst part is getting the PCV valve off. They use small torx bolts that are impossible to get to. Took me an hour and a half after finally making my own tool out of hex bit and a 1/4" wrench welded together. This time I am changing the torx to hex bolts.
Shame is I did the valve cover gaskets last year and checked everything then and it was fine. I change the oil every 3 to 4 thousand miles because of all the V V T crap which tends to fail from sludge build up if you go to long. Rocker arm was seized so it just ate the lobe. I know a lot of people with well over 200k without a major issue on these motors. I think another issue is you don't know where the parts are made. All of the new stuff I bought is made in USA. The Chinese camshafts are enticing because they are less than half the cost but I have learned my lesson on that crap.

We're going to use it today to take one of our kitties to the vet to have him put to sleep. He's nearly 19 years old. He's had constant infections in his face for months. Two surgeries, half his teeth removed. The infection eroded into his sinuses, which makes breathing problematic. It was patched in the first surgery, but it's recurred. 4 courses of different antibiotics. I can't see putting him through more surgery at his age. My wife belongs to him.
IMG_3158.JPG IMG_4319.JPG

A few months ago, we lost Lilly, who I called the Cat with No Boundaries. I very much belonged to her.
IMG_3074.JPG

That leaves us with Lucy, the cross eyed Siamese, Peyton (the little Cairn Terrier), and Rowdy (the Border Collie) who is my co-pilot and garage buddy.
IMG_3155.JPG IMG_4624.JPG

We're going to use it today to take one of our kitties to the vet to have him put to sleep. He's nearly 19 years old. He's had constant infections in his face for months. Two surgeries, half his teeth removed. The infection eroded into his sinuses, which makes breathing problematic. It was patched in the first surgery, but it's recurred. 4 courses of different antibiotics. I can't see putting him through more surgery at his age. My wife belongs to him.
View attachment 123798 View attachment 123799

A few months ago, we lost Lilly, who I called the Cat with No Boundaries. I very much belonged to her.
View attachment 123797

That leaves us with Lucy, the cross eyed Siamese, Peyton (the little Cairn Terrier), and Rowdy (the Border Collie) who is my co-pilot and garage buddy.
View attachment 123800 View attachment 123801
Sorry to hear. We have a couple of cats that some of the family is very much attached to.

View attachment 123798 View attachment 123799

View attachment 123797

View attachment 123800 View attachment 123801

Sorry to hear about your cat.
It’s tough cause our beloved 4 legged friends become part of the family.
19 years ! Take comfort in knowing lived a very long and happy life .