What did you do to your JK today?

After about two weeks of grinding and squealing from the brakes, I took my JK to the repair guy. He found one rear caliper locked up. So I got new pads,rotors and calipers. What difference. Now it stops like when it was new. He claims this is a common problem with Jeeps. ?. I suppose at 40,000 miles something like this should happen.

Today was maintenance day.
I put hers in the garage and did oil, oil filter, air filter, wipers, and topped off fluids. Installed one of THESE while I was under there, to make future oil changes easier. I used them on projects in the past, and was reminded of their existence by a conversation here. Nifty things, really.
I did the same things to mine, two days before I wrecked it.

I've always used full synthetics in everything I build. I changed her Jeep over to THIS last year and that's what's in both now. I'm thrilled to only need to do oil changes once a year.
ExactLy what I use in my Jeep. But I do change every 5K
cause it is high mileage Jeep so just trying to get her to
hold together .

Reactions: mrjp and BigAL07
Today I finally attached the shackle-mounted license plate bracket, complete with wiring routed through the hole plug via a “waterproof” loom (not split loom).
Power is not connected yet.

View attachment 123006

View attachment 123007

View attachment 123008
Looking good . Thank You for your service . I think people often over look the fact if it wasn’t for the US military and that of its allies inc Canada
Our way of life could be much different . And not in a good way . So I highly respect every man & women in a uniform so we in North America and abroad can live relatively free lives .

Before
C43FF4F3-565A-4930-808A-9DC9F8F87EE3.jpeg
C3AA9084-45DB-448A-897C-F174222F69D7.jpeg

After
05CFA104-9906-4107-83C0-6F95230B141A.jpeg
A17D59BD-1A21-40FF-AC31-CAD9292BD322.jpeg

Yup, took off light bar . Really
like the look without . Makes the brick seem a bit more sleeker . Just waiting on the 4”
pods and Evo pod light brackets .

Today was maintenance day.
I put hers in the garage and did oil, oil filter, air filter, wipers, and topped off fluids. Installed one of THESE while I was under there, to make future oil changes easier...
I've looked at this style and at the Fumoto valves, but haven't decided on which one I want. I noticed the one you linked doesn't have the copper crush washer like the Stahlbus one has... I'm guessing no issues? I wish they would make a slight design change to the dust cap. Make it like the caps on cannon plugs w/a chain instead what looks like rubber, but that is an improvement over the Stahlbus cap.

EDIT: Like this
64T2897-40.png

Last edited:
ExactLy what I use in my Jeep. But I do change every 5K
cause it is high mileage Jeep so just trying to get her to
hold together .
Using an oil intended for high mileage vehicles makes sense. But why use an extended life oil if you're going to change it every 5K? I'm just curious what your thinking is.

I've looked at this style and at the Fumoto valves, but haven't decided on which one I want. I noticed the one you linked doesn't have the copper crush washer like the Stahlbus one has... I'm guessing no issues? I wish they would make a slight design change to the dust cap. Make it like the caps on cannon plugs w/a chain instead what looks like rubber, but that is an improvement over the Stahlbus cap.

EDIT: Like this
View attachment 123037
I've only had them in the Jeeps for a short time, but I had the same thing (same design, I have no idea if it was the same brand) in a Supercharged '95 TA I used to own for over 100,000 miles and it always worked perfectly. Pictures on Amazon are not always perfect, and I did not look to see if there is a crush washer on the current product. But it's not leaking, which is all that I really care about.

The Wind Tunnel Tests prove it. :D

If nothing else, your hearing at highway speeds won't have to deal with the whistling noise.
That's actually very fixable.

I did some research, and it seems the problem is that because the bars are generally right at the top of the windscreen, air squeezes between the two and causes the fins to vibrate. There are some fairly pricey solutions available for this.

I got some of the THIS. For less than $20, I did the windscreen light bars on both Wranglers. Just press that onto the cooling fins.

The other issue is aim. Adjust the aimpoint of the light bar. When first installed, going through the Cyclone wash tilted mine up a bit, and the noise increased exponentially. Turned down so it pointed straight, it decreased. But I don't need the light to shine 4 miles down the road. Aimed down a bit more, so it lights up roughly the same area as the high beams (but much more brightly, obviously) and in conjunction with the door trim, the wind noise is virtually eliminated.

Using an oil intended for high mileage vehicles makes sense. But why use an extended life oil if you're going to change it every 5K? I'm just curious what your thinking is.
Not a ton of thought TBH. Canadian Tire usually only carries
one of the Mobile 1 products . B4 the 25K extended it
was the 15K KM extended. Identical everything except the
distant was changed so me thinks it's more marketing than
anything else.
At the 5k mark I usually would have to add 1 litre .
Figure just change it . I've always changed at 5K regardless
what the container reads.
On the flip side. I use top line Fram oil filters .
That said don't know how well an oil filter
would function after 25K KM's.
It's just a routine and comfortable with it.

That's actually very fixable.

I did some research, and it seems the problem is that because the bars are generally right at the top of the windscreen, air squeezes between the two and causes the fins to vibrate. There are some fairly pricey solutions available for this.

I got some of the THIS. For less than $20, I did the windscreen light bars on both Wranglers. Just press that onto the cooling fins.

The other issue is aim. Adjust the aimpoint of the light bar. When first installed, going through the Cyclone wash tilted mine up a bit, and the noise increased exponentially. Turned down so it pointed straight, it decreased. But I don't need the light to shine 4 miles down the road. Aimed down a bit more, so it lights up roughly the same area as the high beams (but much more brightly, obviously) and in conjunction with the door trim, the wind noise is virtually eliminated.
Actually the light bar I had wasn't all that loud .
Maybe cause it was mounted a bit higher it allowed
air to,pass between light bar and the roof? IDK.
Usually listen to music when I drive anyways
so any wind noise would be drowned out by
the tunes.
When I went wheeling on Sun was on the
HWY for about an hour. Specifically listened
to what noise or lack there of with light bar off.
It was pretty quiet . Well for a Jeep . Lol
So the light bar did add a bit of noise but not
a lot .

Not a ton of thought TBH. Canadian Tire usually only carries
one of the Mobile 1 products . B4 the 25K extended it
was the 15K KM extended. Identical everything except the
distant was changed so me thinks it's more marketing than
anything else.
At the 5k mark I usually would have to add 1 litre .
Figure just change it . I've always changed at 5K regardless
what the container reads.
On the flip side. I use top line Fram oil filters .
That said don't know how well an oil filter
would function after 25K KM's.
It's just a routine and comfortable with it.
I think it's more than marketing. I did some reading.

They put this oil in 3 different turbocharged cars and ran them 120,000 on dynos that were used to simulate city and highway travel. They sampled the oil every 5,000 miles and tested it's qualities. They changed the oil and filter every 20,000 miles and tested the oil after it was drained. After 120,000 miles they tore down the engines and measured all the parts for carbon deposits, sludge, varnish, and wear. Everything was still within OEM tolerances for a brand new engine.

They then put it in a Silverado and did the same thing. But for 500,000 miles. The rule was, if ANY part that oil touches fails, they're done. After 500,000 miles, every single part was still within SAE tolerances.

I don't think oil filters wear out from oil flowing through them. It's the accumulation of bits filtered out of that oil. And if there is no discernable wear after 500,000 miles, there's really nothing happening to wear out the filter.

Actually the light bar I had wasn't all that loud .
Maybe cause it was mounted a bit higher it allowed
air to,pass between light bar and the roof? IDK.
Usually listen to music when I drive anyways
so any wind noise would be drowned out by
the tunes.
When I went wheeling on Sun was on the
HWY for about an hour. Specifically listened
to what noise or lack there of with light bar off.
It was pretty quiet . Well for a Jeep . Lol
So the light bar did add a bit of noise but not
a lot .
I wondered if your higher mount would cause less noise. I think it would be worse aerodynamically, but it's not like these things are slippery to begin with.

Just had a delivery of cosmetic parts in my feeble attempt to compete with my Forum members. iArmor AL step rails ( will help my Ma and wife get in and out again), body armor corner guards, gas cap cover thingy (seen them here on your JKs), and some Canadian flag decals. Now if it would only warm up one day this month for installation. LOL

I think it's more than marketing. I did some reading.

They put this oil in 3 different turbocharged cars and ran them 120,000 on dynos that were used to simulate city and highway travel. They sampled the oil every 5,000 miles and tested it's qualities. They changed the oil and filter every 20,000 miles and tested the oil after it was drained. After 120,000 miles they tore down the engines and measured all the parts for carbon deposits, sludge, varnish, and wear. Everything was still within OEM tolerances for a brand new engine.

They then put it in a Silverado and did the same thing. But for 500,000 miles. The rule was, if ANY part that oil touches fails, they're done. After 500,000 miles, every single part was still within SAE tolerances.

I don't think oil filters wear out from oil flowing through them. It's the accumulation of bits filtered out of that oil. And if there is no discernable wear after 500,000 miles, there's really nothing happening to wear out the filter.
Like I said not a ton of thought .