What did you do to your JK today?

Drove out to the middle of nowhere on Sat . Nitnat . Nice drive all on gravel .
Today Lake Cowichan . Found a couple summit trails that was a lot of fun.
IMG_8567.jpeg
IMG_8566.jpeg
IMG_8565.jpeg
IMG_8563.jpeg
IMG_8562.jpeg
IMG_8561.jpeg
IMG_8556.jpeg
IMG_8560.jpeg
IMG_8558.jpeg
IMG_8559.jpeg
IMG_8557.jpeg
IMG_8555.jpeg

IMG_8552.jpeg

Is the Twill material more durable and water resistance than the standard tops ?

I can’t really speak to the durability as this is my first experience with one. They are supposed to be quieter and warmer due to the thicker construction. Comparing aesthetics of the two, it looks much nicer than my sailcloth top as it is a black fabric rather than vinyl.

Reactions: Speartip
We finished up the boys new catalytic convertor install today. Overall it went smooth. Kids though.

1. Had to drop the transmission cross member mount to get the new one installed. He is life “I don’t want to drop it, too much work”. I am like “it’s four bolts, two each side. You are going to waste more time trying to jam it through the dropping it.
2. We drop it and see the transmission mount is bad. He is “we will just put it all back together and let Scotty’s do it later”. I am like “ do you know how much that will cost? They have to drop the skid plates, the cross member etc. It’s two nuts to remove and a $100 part”. He finally agreed. He just wanted to get it done.

The new exhaust bends a little low so had to make some spacer to drop the engine skid so it doesn’t hit the exhaust. I may come up with another idea to see if we can raise the exhaust pipe some. I am just glad it is done, taken him 18 months to save up the money and order the parts.

Not trying to be that guy, but a winch isn't something you want to go with unknown brands for. I firmly believe that with all safety equipment you should get the best you can reasonably afford. That doesn't mean go out and buy a Warn Zeon on credit, but do a reasonable amount of research and if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Full disclosure: I have a Warn Evo, which is the "China" version but it's QCed in the US and both times I've had to use it, it's performed to expectation.

Not trying to be that guy, but a winch isn't something you want to go with unknown brands for. I firmly believe that with all safety equipment you should get the best you can reasonably afford. That doesn't mean go out and buy a Warn Zeon on credit, but do a reasonable amount of research and if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Full disclosure: I have a Warn Evo, which is the "China" version but it's QCed in the US and both times I've had to use it, it's performed to expectation.

The Warn Evo is on my list .
There are a few non Warn brands out there that people have had good luck with .
Matt’s Offroad Recovery uses Harbour Freight Badlands winch on all his recovery vehicles .
Think JK Gear & Gadgets uses as well . Never seen either one have winch issues .
Possible sponsors of the channels as well but never really mentioned as sponsor so hard to say for sure .
But I do hear what your saying . Tried & True is often best choice .
The Harbour Freight, Smitty Bilt and Evo have solid reviews on the forums
The Scar is very new . I read been out for about six months
Warn has been making winches since 1948 so, well , yeah . .

Last edited:
The Warn Evo is on my list .
There are a few non Warn brands out there that people have had good luck with .
Matt’s Offroad Recovery uses Harbour Freight Badlands winch on all his recovery vehicles .
Think JK Gear & Gadgets uses as well . Never seen either one have winch issues .
Possible sponsors of the channels as well but never really mentioned as sponsor so hard to say for sure .
But I do hear what your saying . Tried & True is often best choice .
The Harbour Freight, Smitty Bilt and Evo have solid reviews on the forums
The Scar is very new . I read been out for about six months
Warn has been making winches since 1948 so, well , yeah . .

There were some in our group that used badlands from harbor freight, and had failures, 2 out of 3 to be exact. Both about 1 year old and only mild use, I would not recommend them. I have used Smittybuilt in the past with good luck however, I only had it for about 2 years. I now have CTI9500 from warn and so far, it does what it is supposed to.

The Quadratech Stealth is also a good option, I think pricewise comparable to the Warn Evo series.

EDIT:
Anything Harbor Freight gives me the heebie jeebies, I won't use their brand. It comes from when I was a mechanic in the '10s and having had to use their products in a pinch. I had never seen anything fail within one work day of use before but their tools did. I know other people have had better experiences but I won't trust anything valuable to them. Just my own personal position on HF.

When I was semi-trailer mechanic (late 90’s) I was very selective of their products and what I would buy there. Never bought power tools, air tools etc. was always stuff like sockets etc. that I may need. Fast forward I think they have better stuff now. I am still selective but have had a good experience with what I’ve bought so far. Still mostly non-power tools. I have a bench grinder, a bench top grinder, and their 20 ton press. All of those have worked well for me, but they don’t see heavy use. I’ve been tempted to buy some of theI Hercules power tools, mainly the 3/8” drive, but haven’t yet.

My wife and son each have the badlands winch and so far no issues there. That said they do not see a lot of use and there is always more than one of us. My JKUR has a Smittybilt, and my LJR has and old warn on it.

Washed, waxed, vacuumed the entire interior and de-stickered the windshield of expired passes. It’s all glossy black again! All that’s left is cleaning up the tires and wheels. So, at least another hour! lol

Sucks to live on a muddy dirt road if you like a reasonably clean vehicle.

The Quadratech Stealth is also a good option, I think pricewise comparable to the Warn Evo series.

EDIT:
Anything Harbor Freight gives me the heebie jeebies, I won't use their brand. It comes from when I was a mechanic in the '10s and having had to use their products in a pinch. I had never seen anything fail within one work day of use before but their tools did. I know other people have had better experiences but I won't trust anything valuable to them. Just my own personal position on HF.

HF tools are one time use and into the recycle bin. If I know I’ll need it more than that, visit the tool truck visitor of the week.

Reactions: JerryD and Speartip