What did you do to your JK today?

Well, if you happen to exit your ride. And do see a charging bear ( they have been very aggressive here, this year) no need to post about droppings. All Good

• Haha
Reactions: Speartip
Picked up the wife’s JKU today, service contract is being billed $4,950. Here are few pictures of the camshafts, and one of the rockers. In the one you can see the grove on the side, on the other you can see the wear marks. On the rocker the roller isn’t visible, I think this is worse one, there were a few others that were loose. The new oil cooler is a Dorman 😁View attachment 127703
View attachment 127701View attachment 127702

Thanks for the pics .
Often don’t get to see damage done . 5K USD would be $6900 CDN today . Ouch
Thankfully the service warranty worked out .
Power & Torque aside that would be a down side of the 3.6 double over head cam compared to the simpler designed 3.8. Long term price of servicing if major issues arise
I remember when @WestCoastDan had his heads replaced last year .
It was about 5K and don’t think he had a service plan .
Def not a poor man’s sport when you add in initial cost of the Jeep, gas, maintainance & repairs .

We have so many wild strawberries and blueberries this year. I think,--- now I am no Biologist ( but I do Know about fermentation, ex Home Brew). The Bears are getting libated ,Hence the courage. All good. I have a French Irish wife. Good Times

Reactions: Speartip
Put the top back on for now... The Mrs.' vehicle is going into the shop and we need two all-weather vehicles.

Tried the tool-less retaining fasteners for the top. Without the dogpoint they were more difficult to get threaded to the nut. Maybe after a few times I'll find a better process.

A few more pics of the top lift, too:

PXL_20240808_160612011.jpg

It has to come in at a slight angle due to the hitch:
PXL_20240808_160914423.jpg

Once the height of the pads are set there is no need to adjust. The lift has enough travel to clear the top for removal:
PXL_20240808_160939017.jpg
PXL_20240808_214724483.jpg

Changed the oil & filter this evening . Noticed dent in filter when I removed .
Not sure if oil filter wrench caused it? Mechanic put on to tight when I had head gaskets changed etc .
Or if a dented filter was put on at shop ? Hope not .
Either way got a really good Fram Ultra Synthetic filter and Mobile 1 synthetic oil .

Reactions: Danarch
The paint on my fender flares ( Sahara) has seen better days . Thinking of just putting the black plastic on. Can get a set for about $290 on Extreme Terrain. But…. Kinda defeats the purpose of having a Sahara right? Still I think it will look just fine.

The paint on my fender flares ( Sahara) has seen better days . Thinking of just putting the black plastic on. Can get a set for about $290 on Extreme Terrain. But…. Kinda defeats the purpose of having a Sahara right? Still I think it will look just fine.

You can't even see the fenders flairs from the comfort of that leather drivers' seat... ;)

That looks like one hell of a place to walk home from!

Depending where I go , yes it would be classified as a major hike . Yesterday about 10 km off the logging rd, Another 15KM on logging rd to ashpalt.
So about 25KM deep in the back country .
25 KM = 15.5 Miles .
So I always keep hiking boots , extra clothes , jacket, food and water in the Jeep .
So if things went sideways would be good . Looking at getting at Satallite phone as well.
Next weekend going to an area called Nitnat . It’s out in the middle of no where . 75-100 KM off the main road .
Supposed to be a really nice lake up there .

Gearing up for an overlanding trip and decided I was done with the 1lb propane bottles. Installed the AT Overland Jk mount with the Flameking 5lb propane bottle and mount. Still deciding if I want to powder coat the AT mount black or not.

View attachment 127754

I notice your using Rotopax.
How do you like ? Any leaks ?
I’m thinking of having drivers side rear glass removed and getting a compartment in its place with a rotopax can mounted on the outside
Seen a couple setups like that and really like .

Reactions: JeepJeezy
I notice your using Rotopax.
How do you like ? Any leaks ?
I’m thinking of having drivers side rear glass removed and getting a compartment in its place with a rotopax can mounted on the outside
Seen a couple setups like that and really like .

I love them. I have 2 gas and 2 water. The gas ones do need "burped" every so often when there's fuel in them. My water ones, I took and installed a breather and a stainless steel spout w/ leaver. Trying to fill water bottles and other smaller things was a nightmare with the original spout. None of them leak.

Rebel Off Road's Blackout window mount kit is sick looking and I was going to go that route, but was tight on cash at the time. So, spare tire mount it was.

20240217_100644.jpg

I love them. I have 2 gas and 2 water. The gas ones do need "burped" every so often when there's fuel in them. My water ones, I took and installed a breather and a stainless steel spout w/ leaver. Trying to fill water bottles and other smaller things was a nightmare with the original spout. None of them leak.

Rebel Off Road's Blackout window mount kit is sick looking and I was going to go that route, but was tight on cash at the time. So, spare tire mount it was.

View attachment 127755

Additional spout with valve is a great idea for a water station .
Briefly checked out the Rebel Offroad window delete .
It doesn’t look like it fits the 07-11 .
Does anyone know if Jeep changed the removable top or window sizing from 07-11
to the 12-18 years ?

There are 6 body mounts on each side. 3 under doors, one up front right behind grill and two in the rear, so 12 total. You'll need to press or hammer out factory studs in the mounts to install the replacement bolts for the rough country kit. I used my arbor press for these. Other kits offer pucks that only use the center bolt, but I decided I didn't want that style. Being we wheel alot, I wanted the strength.
The gap is minimal and I like the fact that there is still body tin behind the bumper. I'm not a fan of the open gap. Yeah, I found nobody was showing a direct picture of the gapping on the rear also.
Thanks for compliment on the look.

View attachment 127693

View attachment 127694

View attachment 127695

That's why I haven't done the body lift yet because of the rear metal gap and Front fender gap. Maybe I can dream up some mudflap type material to fill that rear gap.

I finally dropped off my used 1/2 doors at the body shop. To recap, I bought a set of 1/2 doors with uppers for a song in Dec/Jan? and have been dragging my feet on getting them repainted. Well, I installed a hoist in the garage and built a hardtop cart that also holds the doors/freedom panels and figured I might as well get on it. I shopped around and pricing was ALL over the map. 1) $1300, 2) $2100, 3) $750-800. All had good reviews. #1 & #3 used spectrometers and swatches to match as close as they can. #2 was a little condescending about other shops in the area and had a sloppy shop. Surprised they had so much business. #3 was a bit further away from the population center and was a family run business. Immaculate shop, office area and waiting area (with some cool auto memorabilia. It may be flashbacks to military service and working in the airline industry, but if I see a messy work area, I'm out. It didn't hurt that they were the absolute lowest. Only down side is it will be a few weeks before they can work my job in. I'll be adding electric locks and probably electric mirrors to the doors, because I can. :) I'll post pics when I have them back.