What did you do to your JK today?

I was just starting to feel good about where I'm at with this thing, then I made the rookie mistake of looking at the diagnostic report that the dealer provided.
I know they are alarmists and always looking to "upsell" goods and services at elevated prices and extended lead times, but they do have a pretty damned good parts manual.
From that list, I know I need the following:
Brakes, Differentials, and trans need to be serviced.
I also know there is at least 1 rear axle seal that has a minor leak.
So... Does the following plan of attack make sense?

1- Research brake options. I'll probably just get new everything, all the way around and be DONE (for a while, anyway).
1A- Order and set aside.

2- Review rear axle and seal options. These are high mileage and still original, they'll probably get replaced.
2A- Order and set aside.

3- Sell a kidney to recover funds.*
3A- *Doesn't have to be mine.

4- Service all of it at the same time to save a bundle on labor.*
4A- *Maybe even enough to buy back that kidney.

Reactions: Speartip
I was just starting to feel good about where I'm at with this thing, then I made the rookie mistake of looking at the diagnostic report that the dealer provided.
I know they are alarmists and always looking to "upsell" goods and services at elevated prices and extended lead times, but they do have a pretty damned good parts manual.

1- Research brake options. I'll probably just get new everything, all the way around and be DONE (for a while, anyway).
1A- Order and set aside.

2- Review rear axle and seal options. These are high mileage and still original, they'll probably get replaced.
2A- Order and set aside.

From your previous posts, it seems you can do your own maintenance, so…this is all DYI and not terribly expensive. The leak would be my first concern, and where I would start. Are you having brake or transmission problems? If not I would start with the front brakes and finish up the list in whatever order you feel like. Nothing here seems like a huge problem, good luck!

1A- Order and set aside.

2A- Order and set aside.

If I recall correctly the bearing needs to be removed to remove the seal. Then the bearing needs to be pressed on. It’s easy just need a press.

If I recall correctly the bearing needs to be removed to remove the seal. Then the bearing needs to be pressed on. It’s easy just need a press.

You can get a loaner bearing slide puller from an auto store. I have put the bearings back in without a press in my younger days since they are somewhat self-aligning. Nowadays I would probably purchase a harbor freight arbor press and chalk up the cost to saved labor.

You can get a loaner bearing slide puller from an auto store. I have put the bearings back in without a press in my younger days since they are somewhat self-aligning. Nowadays I would probably purchase a harbor freight arbor press and chalk up the cost to saved labor.

If it was mine and all the work involved i'd replace the bearings also.

That is exactly what I did. Got it on sale for $199 I think. Works great. The axle is slightly too long to fit. Added a wheels and that gave it enough height. Bought a couple of pieces of steel to hold the base in place. I drilled the holes prior to removing the angles so it would be square when I attached them.

IMG_5530.jpeg

Last edited:
Put new tires on today. First time using BFG K02s, can already feel the difference vs the hybrid AT/MTs. Smoother and significant reduction in road noise.
Good choice.
The BFG K02's are my "go-to" tire for both of our Jeeps.
28PSI seems to provide the best ride, wear, and tracking on both of ours even though the tire sizes & vehicle weight, wheelbase, etc. are different.

Good choice.
The BFG K02's are my "go-to" tire for both of our Jeeps.
28PSI seems to provide the best ride, wear, and tracking on both of ours even though the tire sizes & vehicle weight, wheelbase, etc. are different.
I ran 26 PSI in the tires I replaced and that worked well. The 40 PSI the shop put in the KO2s was no bueno, I pulled off and aired down first chance I had.

Got some new shoes for summer.

Mammoth D Window black steelies in 17x9 with a set of 35 x 12.50 Ironman MT's. Tried to go with something a little more budget friendly but still more capable than my winter Duratracs.

I also recently put on a rough country roof rack with matching tent. Cant wait for things to thaw out around here for some camping and riding.

434565591_7885005901511540_4747222730314523631_n.jpg

434643376_7885006141511516_6314426175733092527_n.jpg