What did you do to your JK today?

I replaced the ball joints on my 2010 jk us, I was totally amazed at the difference it made. Before the ball joint swap, it would drift and wander. While doing the swap, I found that the top on one side and the bottom on the passenger side were destroyed.

So yesterday I drove 35 miles in torrential rain to pick up my granddaughter we get back in vaffanculo and the automatic transmission shifter cable came unattached from the tranny keep in mind her house is on a hill and the driver's side of the jeep was against the curb and water was coming down the street like a waterfall about 3 inches of constant ice cold water I climbed under the jeep on the passenger side in that rushing water locating the cable after about 15 minutes in this extremely tight area to work in the bushing was completely gone from the cable my flashlight battery was getting dim now it's about 45 minutes I been under the jeep water rushing through my body I felt like a person who has falling into a swelling creek holding on to a branch for dear life I am beyond drenched..I got back out shaking and shivering like I had cebreyl palsy uncontrollable. Got some zip ties climbed under it again in the rushing water put the cable back into place..I felt like I was one step away from hell. I thanked God for letting me do this and not letting me have a stroke or heart attack seriously from hypothermia im 64 years but in good shape made matters worse becausei am recovering from a spinal fusion a few months ago and pain is chronc. We made it home and still shaking from freezing my granddaughter gave me a smile when she said ,pop pop can fix anything...just a quick tip always carry zip ties
Just a quick update today I replaced the tidieous job of replacing the transmission cable bushing at the tranny in this very tight area...so the first thing to do is boil some water and let the bushing sit in the boiling water while you disconnect the two 1/2 inch bolts on the bracket that holds the cable this will allow the cable to be pulled down ( thanks to a jk owner on youtube for that video )and give you plenty of room to squeeze the hot bushing into the end of the cable with a pair of pliers then attach the cable to the connection on the transmission reattach the two bolts that held cable holder bracket and your good to go...if you try too do this job in that tidieous tight small area like I did you will have black and blue hands and your forearms will look like strawberry colored bruises...good luck

17114884324117765264523383446405.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Speartip
Put her in the shop this morning. Probably won't see her for a couple weeks. Started getting the top end tap, probably a lifter, so off we went. Found a highly reputable shop about 35 miles away. They are certified to install Fraser crate engines and offer a 24k warranty on engine work.
Hopefully have a diagnosis by the end of the week.

Diagnosis:
1. Inner axle seals leaking
2. Front drive shaft CV joint blown
3. Oil cooler leaking
4. Lifter/rocker arm left bank. May also need cams.
Estimated repair costs, assuming all cams and lifters on left bank need to be done: $7300

That’s quite the list.

Welcome to the “I’ve spent nearly as much to repair and maintain my JKU as I did to buy it” group…

Sadly, this group is not as exclusive as one might think.

I consider myself somewhat fortunate in that I've had her for going on 8 years, put 100k miles on her and have not had the first issue aside from a t-stat gone bad a few years back. This is her first time on a lift getting a full-tilt inspection from stem to stern and addressing all of the maintenance aspects of a 130k mile JKU.
It comes back with a 24k warranty and I'll get another few years out of her, I think it's worth it considering I've not really spent any money on her and age does take its toll.

I consider myself somewhat fortunate in that I've had her for going on 8 years, put 100k miles on her and have not had the first issue aside from a t-stat gone bad a few years back. This is her first time on a lift getting a full-tilt inspection from stem to stern and addressing all of the maintenance aspects of a 130k mile JKU.
It comes back with a 24k warranty and I'll get another few years out of her, I think it's worth it considering I've not really spent any money on her and age does take its toll.
I’m in the same “high-mileage” group w/ 157k on our 2015.
It’s still cheaper than replacing it, and being confident that it’s in working order definitely has value that cannot be measured by dollars alone.