Which code reader to buy?

longlivenintendo

JK Enthusiast
Was thinking of buying a code reader and I see the range in prices. I know some code readers don't support all OEM stuff of different car brands but was wondering which ones is worth paying a little more for to tell more detailed stuff about jeeps functioning and is worth the money. Hope everyone has a great day!

Is this enough info for you? You probably spend more then that for Nintendo.

Reactions: BigAL07
Yes, it's a Code reader and lets you make changes to some of the things on your Jeep.
Awesome. Thanks so much. Ordered the iCarly pro dongle Should be here today! What changes can you make with it? Not that I'm really wanted to chip my old 2008 haha. I'm mainly looking to be able to bigger diagnose problems myself and to see if I can fix them as they arise

Awesome. Thanks so much. Ordered the iCarly pro dongle Should be here today! What changes can you make with it? Not that I'm really wanted to chip my old 2008 haha. I'm mainly looking to be able to bigger diagnose problems myself and to see if I can fix them as they arise

I don't have J-Scan yet but if you was to take time to read through the links I gave you you will find out quite a few things it can do.

Reactions: Danarch and BigAL07
Holy cannoli they're line 250-300 bucks haha. What would I be able to do with it to make it worth that?
No they're not. The JScan app with a single VIN license is about $25. I use the Vgate ICar Pro, which is about $30 on Amazon. Where are you getting that $250-$300 price from?

Last edited:
I have this paired with my JScan app:

1674239117440.png

I've programmed my DRLs, diagnosed and repaired a t-stat issue, both of which would have required a trip to the shop. I appreciate the fact I can look at live engine performance data while going down the road and I can quickly and easily remedy any CEL or code that comes up.

Oh, and I disabled TPMS because I run my tires around 29-30psi, which would trigger that system, which in turn triggers me....

Last edited:
No they're not. The JScan app with a single VIN license is about $25. I use the Vgate ICar Pro, which is about $30 on Amazon. Where are you getting that $250-$300 price from?
Yeah that was a misunderstanding on my part, I didn't get at first it was an app with a dongle set up. Going to try it out this morning! Going to read the threads that was posted yesterday. What are some of all your favorites you've all done with the app? I feel like I'm going to be researching what the live data means and what is "normal" and what is not in terms of functioning.

You're going to love JSCAN!
Yeah on first hook up its clear that there is ALOT on there to take in. I did replace the factory exhuast with the Pypes high cat back exhaust recently. Is there something I need to adjust in there to account for that? And I was looking for a fuel economy measure, couldnt find it. Is that there too?

Yeah on first hook up its clear that there is ALOT on there to take in. I did replace the factory exhuast with the Pypes high cat back exhaust recently. Is there something I need to adjust in there to account for that? And I was looking for a fuel economy measure, couldnt find it. Is that there too?

If it has high flow cats you'll get the downstream O2's CEL's.

Reactions: BigAL07
I have that exact same exhaust on mine too. I love the sound. No need for a setting on Jscan for that mod. No real fuel economy settings on Jscan either. You can watch the live data and see if there's anything not up to par. Then replace that part. I did that last week. Realized it was time to replace sparkplugs.

Reactions: longlivenintendo
I have that exact same exhaust on mine too. I love the sound. No need for a setting on Jscan for that mod. No real fuel economy settings on Jscan either. You can watch the live data and see if there's anything not up to par. Then replace that part. I did that last week. Realized it was time to replace sparkplugs.
where do you go to see the spark plugs on the app and how should they be functioning?