Best scanner tool

No doubt. 100% agree. And if your going to work on your Ram and jeep and challenger then I might have given the same above about jscan. Ford guys use Forscan lol. For instance there are several options you have to pay for on a new f150 that are actually on all truck but disabled. You can use forscan and change the values and turn them on. Both j scan and for scan can change vehicle specific things that the big ones can't too, but the big ones can do a lot the others can't. But when take into context what the Original post asked and the info given. Then saying that pride motivated any of the responses seems a bit off

That's what the whole purpose of a Forum is for everyone to give there opinion of what they think works best for them then it's up to the OP to decide what they want to do.

Reactions: Vman and mrjp
Problem with purchasing a fine piece of equipment like that, then everyone is looking for some free scanning.
I scan for free. I'll even tell them what id do to fix it. But I warn them i charge double if they do work on it and fail and then I have to fix the problem plus deal with their rounded off bolts and all the things they screw up.

You would be surprised by the vehicles that come back on a trailer afterward. Lol. Especially so with atv and sxs

I scan for free. I'll even tell them what id do to fix it. But I warn them i charge double if they do work on it and fail and then I have to fix the problem plus deal with their rounded off bolts and all the things they screw up.

You would be surprised by the vehicles that come back on a trailer afterward. Lol. Especially so with atv and sxs
lol, a good buddy of mine runs a small shop in a small farm town. The crap people pull is astounding, and he just does tires and brakes.

lol, a good buddy of mine runs a small shop in a small farm town. The crap people pull is astounding, and he just does tires and brakes.
Man. Kudos to your buddy. I bought a tire machine and a digital balancer really just because I got tired of people scratching my nice rims and paying 80 bucks to get my snow tires every year and atv tires mounted. Plus covid had hit and the country was shut down so I time to shop. Lol. I got one with the hydraulic assist arm for low profile too. Huge mistake. Word gets out and soon you have a new Ford gt pull in wanting tires put on. I'm comfortable with a jeep or a massey ferguson or any truck coated in cow poo.... once the car goes over 100k I get butterflies. I built my shop in the middle of one of our horse pastures, trucks are more at home in it. And I have gotten tires and knew they weren't balanced right within 10 miles. I got a set on a new highlander once that was terrible at 65. Not terrible before or after 65. Lol . I absolutely despise mounting and balancing. Ive gotten better but dang if it's not backbreaking and aggravating. I can carry the transmission from any car and set it up on my transmission jack by myself. I'm not weak or small. But flopping around big 40 inch tire wheel combos and heavy duallie wheels with 27 ply tires is pretty awful. Lol. The angles you have to get into to mount and balance them and the way you have to hold them is pretty impressive. Lol. If you don't have hemorrhoids to begin with you just might after a few dually.

Then after you get it mounted on the balancing spindle the annoying part starts. Many shops ony static balance because it's easier. Dynamic can piss you off especially using stick ons and the arm that places the weight on for you. My machine can split the weight up and hide it behind spokes after you tell it where one spoke is and how many there are. Hotrod and fancy car folks like that...I hate it (after you clean it because according to my machines literature, a playing card mounted between the wheel and surface will throw off the balance by several ounce, then there is the stick on weights you have to chisel off.. I have a plastic chisel set for it. Then you have to buff or alcohol that spot to get a new one to stick..). I had watched tires mounted many hundred times. I never knew what a job it was until I done it myself. Then if you get the weight in or out or up or down too far it still isn't right. Being a perfectionist isn't a good thing on balancing . Then you have chrome cladding flaking off and bent wheels and wires sticking out....

I hate balancing.

I joined the forum to find out what temp the fan was supposed to come on on an 08 rubicon. But figured I'd try to offer advice rather than just getting my one answer and never giving any help back to the community.

Reactions: Fargo and Vman
He has definitely put his back out after doing various farm machinery tires. I think he has put an upper limit on size, but some of the tires he has done are around 400 lbs apparently. I've never heard him complain about balancing though, but I'm not sure how much low profile tire stuff he does. That being said, compared to my vehicles, most tires are low profile these days.

And welcome. I remember that temp question. You ever get things figured out?

He has definitely put his back out after doing various farm machinery tires. I think he has put an upper limit on size, but some of the tires he has done are around 400 lbs apparently. I've never heard him complain about balancing though, but I'm not sure how much low profile tire stuff he does. That being said, compared to my vehicles, most tires are low profile these days.

And welcome. I remember that temp question. You ever get things figured out?

The really big stuff like tractors isn't terrible . You aren't dumb enough to to it without help. You know it's too much. But the light duty stuff im bad to just do it and then be on a heating pad later. Lol. Not sure if its all from the work though. Weight lifting has wrecked some joints and muscles too. I do some big machine work too for my bigger customers. I just finished a clutch and internal brakes on a 255 massey ferguson. Ive done trackhoe and dozer final drives and such. I prefer that stuff to small engines like weed eaters and chainsaws. I do Mostly 4x4 trucks and suv here though . Several subaru too. 4wd is a must here if you only have one vehicle.

Even though the op is a shade tree mechanic, this is a Jeep JK forum, thus the JScan app and a bluetooth OBDII reader is the best bang for buck.

Reactions: JeepJeezy
Bought the j scan and Bluetooth reader. Diagnosed bad left rear speed sensor. Paid for itself on first usage. Thanks to all.

This is how it starts.

Before you know it you'll be sitting in the garage with driveshafts and transfer cases laying on the ground 🤣

Go ahead and get this hint to your wife just in time for the holidays:

hot-2021-05-12-at-3-15-18-pm-1620846952.png?crop=0.png

Reactions: mrjp
Go ahead and get this hint to your wife just in time for the holidays:

View attachment 120193
No doubt. I can't imagine going without my lifts. I do greatly prefer my 4 post though. About the only things we use the 2 post for is taking out transverse mounted engines which a 4 post doesn't excell at (lifting the body off the engine cradle.) And setting beds off of trucks for fuel pumps and such. So id hint for the 4 post under my shade tree. Lol. A two post is especially annoying on a short wheel base like a 2 dr wrangler