What did you do to your JK today?

What axles does it have? Gears?

The 392 has D44 front and rear. They're 1.5" wider than the standard Rubicon axles. My understanding is that they're also stronger, but I have not yet found details of exactly how. I suspect it comes down to axle shaft material and spline count.

I think Jeep had to figure out a way to keep the D44 alive, or else switch to the considerably more expensive D60. On a package that already adds a good $25,000 to the sticker, I can see why they wanted to stick with the D44. The solution they implemented makes sense. It uses the MP3022 transfer case. Now, this does mean that we give up the standard Rubicons 4:1 low range for the "regular" 2.73:1, but the 392 has enough grunt not to need the extra gear advantage. But it also means that Jeep was able to make the Wrangler 392 a full time 4WD system. Your options are 4WD Auto (with the TC deciding how to split power), 4H, and 4L. Splitting the power between the axles keeps them from exploding. The TC does have RWD capability, but by default it's not available to the 392-powered Wranglers. If you really want RWD, there is a $300 tuner that will let you do it. I've got it, and have reprogrammed a few things, but I'm not interested in the 2WD mode.

The standard is 3.73 gears and 33" tire. If it's ordered with the Extreme Recon package it gets 35" tires and 4.56 gears.

Mine has 37" tires and the 3.73 gears. I wasn't sure initially if I'd need to regear, but after putting a few miles on it, I'm going to leave it alone.

The standard 392 is 470HP/470tq. Mine has been tuned and according to my dyno app it's 500HP, give or take a few. I've not had it on a real dyno, but I've compared the app and dyno sheet on the Vette, and it's pretty accurate.

I'm not planning any major changes immediately. Some cosmetic stuff, like graphics, and some fine tuning of the engine and suspension, but that's it for now.

Replaced the passenger side recirculation actuator on the daughters '12 JK.

#@$&@%!

What a HUGE pita. Doable, but criminy. I could've used a flex joint in my forearm and an extra eye in one of my fingers. Maybe a ratcheting 7mm fingertip, too.

• Haha
Reactions: tJKrider

#@$&@%!

What a HUGE pita. Doable, but criminy. I could've used a flex joint in my forearm and an extra eye in one of my fingers. Maybe a ratcheting 7mm fingertip, too.

Good job.
I think the assembly line workers start with those actuators as "Part A", and then they attach the rest of the Jeep to & around them.

Reactions: tJKrider and JerryD

#@$&@%!

Why? I am asking as my wife swears her vents do not blow right. The fan is on, and works but I have to agree the air coming out doesn’t seem very strong. I’d say mine is more powerful. I am wondering if door is stuck, if something is blocking the air flow etc.

Why? I am asking as my wife swears her vents do not blow right. The fan is on, and works but I have to agree the air coming out doesn’t seem very strong. I’d say mine is more powerful. I am wondering if door is stuck, if something is blocking the air flow etc.

Her recirculating door (accordion like baffle) was clicking loudly. Searching YouTube will get some hits on what it sounds like.

Reactions: Danarch
The 392 has D44 front and rear. They're 1.5" wider than the standard Rubicon axles. My understanding is that they're also stronger, but I have not yet found details of exactly how. I suspect it comes down to axle shaft material and spline count.

I think Jeep had to figure out a way to keep the D44 alive, or else switch to the considerably more expensive D60. On a package that already adds a good $25,000 to the sticker, I can see why they wanted to stick with the D44. The solution they implemented makes sense. It uses the MP3022 transfer case. Now, this does mean that we give up the standard Rubicons 4:1 low range for the "regular" 2.73:1, but the 392 has enough grunt not to need the extra gear advantage. But it also means that Jeep was able to make the Wrangler 392 a full time 4WD system. Your options are 4WD Auto (with the TC deciding how to split power), 4H, and 4L. Splitting the power between the axles keeps them from exploding. The TC does have RWD capability, but by default it's not available to the 392-powered Wranglers. If you really want RWD, there is a $300 tuner that will let you do it. I've got it, and have reprogrammed a few things, but I'm not interested in the 2WD mode.

The standard is 3.73 gears and 33" tire. If it's ordered with the Extreme Recon package it gets 35" tires and 4.56 gears.

Mine has 37" tires and the 3.73 gears. I wasn't sure initially if I'd need to regear, but after putting a few miles on it, I'm going to leave it alone.

The standard 392 is 470HP/470tq. Mine has been tuned and according to my dyno app it's 500HP, give or take a few. I've not had it on a real dyno, but I've compared the app and dyno sheet on the Vette, and it's pretty accurate.

I'm not planning any major changes immediately. Some cosmetic stuff, like graphics, and some fine tuning of the engine and suspension, but that's it for now.

I am not going to lie, I am jealous!! I wish I would have went the 392 with one one the bad ass packages. I swear the JKU with an LS Swap is cool but it is like having a damn race car. I knew I was going to have to swap the axles eventually but not this soon. Figured since I was have to replace both front a rear axles, (I am going with a g2 D44, I found one brand new and for a steal since they went belly up, for the front and East Coast gear D60 in the rear both geared to 4.88) I am replacing all the Rough country garbage I have on it with MetalCloak. After this I will have replaced damn near everything and I mean that. Only thing original is the frame, body, doors (and I rarely have them on) and a same section of the front dash.
Everyone I implore you, Do not follow in my footsteps, Do what Dirty Dog did!!! You will get a warranty and will come out much cheaper!!