What did you do to your JK today?

Reactions: mrjp and Lxxtsy
This may be a dumb question - but mine has some surface rust underneath (Minnesota) - I assume you'd have to wire brush all the surface rust on before applying the fluid film or something like that, correct?
Be careful with wire brushing. Wire brushes are made of metal and sometimes the bristles are pulled off the brush and left on the surface and will themselves begin to rust. I prefer a fine grit sand paper followed with:
1620399047005.png

Once you've cleaned off a good part of the rust, paint this on with a throw-away brush (it goes on pink so you can see where it is), rinse off, dry and repaint or coat the surface. I use it on my outdoor furniture, wrought iron planters and the rack on my JK where a couple of rocks have knocked the powder coating off.

I usually paint back with Rustoleum- the Valspar rust inhibiting paint sucks balls.

Reactions: mrjp and Largehit71
Looning good. Can you provide links for both?

I added approximately 1500 bugs to my windshield driving back from our 5-day stay at Outer Banks this morning. We did take it on the beach yesterday at Currituck, but didn't see any of the wild horses. Of course, it was the middle of the afternoon, so the horses were probably enjoying a cold one somewhere.
Heading down to the Outer Banks tomorrow. We'll be looking for wild horses as well. I'll be towing my JK down behind my motor home. I bought off Craig's list a tow bar, braking unit and tow lights. I have been sweating it to mount a Base plate and all the wiring to support it all. I had to fabricate a platform that sits and straps to my spare tire so the magnetic tow lights had something to attach to. I then had to add a second Stoplight switch so the braking unit could sense when the brakes were being applied. Got it all finished late Saturday night. Sunday I took the whole rig for a test drive through the back road around me. This is the first time flat towing behind my RV. All worked as expected and you really don't notice it much except climbing hills. Drove some tricky back roads and did quite a bit of stopping. Only thing I didn't get to try was hwy but I'll be doing a lot of that on the way down

Heading down to the Outer Banks tomorrow. We'll be looking for wild horses as well.
So, if you have not been, Hwy 12 asphalt ends and dumps you onto the beach at Corolla Beach. It's already a fairly narrow 2-lane, so pull into a parking lot and air down your tires a few miles ahead, there are a couple marked stopping areas along the way just for this, but there is only 1 air station I saw, if you don't have a compressor to air up. The sand at the entrance/exit is pretty soft (actually saw a minivan buried to the axles- no idea why he thought he could do this).

You can also get a ORV Permit online if you want to drive the beaches and dunes down at the Hatteras National Seashore. I had more fun there than just driving the beach at Corolla. The only way the NPS is issuing these permits is online, so here's the link. No in-person permitting during COVID. You can get an annual or a 10-day:

https://www.recreation.gov/vehiclepermits/249978

Reactions: mrjp and Lxxtsy
Today I replaced my OEM steering stabilizer with a Fox Steering Stabilizer. Death wobble is mostly gone, but need to go get some tires and an allignment to finish the job. I'll post again when I do.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the steering stabilizer is only masking the issue. There is a problem that you don't want to cover up if you have death wobble.

How did it go?
It went well overall. Had to use the bracket from RockHard 4x4 in lieu of the one that came with the plate. For some reason it was hitting the power steering line at in front of the radiator. JCR worked with me some, but said they have never heard of it being an issue.

Reactions: Lxxtsy and mrjp
Reactions: Lxxtsy and mrjp