What did you do to your JK today?

Got back from Rendezvous in the Ozarks yesterday. Had battery issues while there and had to keep jumping it.

On the way home, I noticed some high voltage codes in JScan. The alternator was overcharging. Because of the app, I didn’t have to take it to a show and it turned out to just be a bad ground.

Slapped a new battery in and we are good to go!

28BAEA39-512D-4B41-B0B5-3E7203CB989F.jpeg

RADIO replacement

I had an Insane audio head unit that I used to replace a non-factory Kenwood partially blown. I should say I still have the unit and will put it up for sale. It's a good competitor to the Stinger radios, but not for the extra stuff I added to this JEEP.

NOTE: This thing arrived with a bluetooth connection name of JK2001. It updated over my wireless and now lists itself as JL3001. This is unusual, but the newer version of software does make this unit perform better.

Anyway, I had a professional installer add a DS18 replacement sound bar with 10 speakers and a 4 channel 600W amp. I also had them add the dual tail gate subwoofer with mono block amp. NOTE: you must bypass the stock amp is some cases when adding components. The installer could not make good adjustments to the speakers partly because the unit and partly because I went a little overboard on speakers and amps. We could never get the front speakers to a good level with the other parts of the system.

Replacement radio is now the Pioneer DMH-WT8600NEX. I bought the 10 inch screen why? Well, it helps my wife who cannot see as well these days. It is a $200 bump up from the 9 inch screen which is probably more than you may need. This unit now has some features that allowed us to tune the entire system. The new result is amazing. It's a concert in and outside the Jeep. The wife can also selectively turn on the LEDs and light up the Jeep while she's rolling down the road. And did I mention carplay is wireless on this unit!

A much more affordable idea is just replace the stock speakers and sub(or add a sub). High end sets are only a couple of hundred dollars. Get a good amp and one of the newer radios like the Pioneer or Stinger or even the Insane audio( I have a new one for sale).

A midrange idea may be the smaller replacement bar and a nice sub( check out the underseat hidden units). The radio you get will make a difference a this point.

65602242737__80E3E7DB-CBC9-4993-96B6-C08A4B4F3637.jpeg

Reactions: mrjp
@BLACKJKU your post caught my attention, I’ve just about always used an air impact to install lugnuts. I skip every other lug, then go around one more time. Never had an issue or gave it a second thought about them backing off.

@BLACKJKU your post caught my attention, I’ve just about always used an air impact to install lugnuts. I skip every other lug, then go around one more time. Never had an issue or gave it a second thought about them backing off.

I got into the habit of torquing lugnuts from my many years of working on Offroad Equipment. It's not a pretty sight watching one of your wheels go past you while driving down the road.

On the way home, I noticed some high voltage codes in JScan. The alternator was overcharging. Because of the app, I didn’t have to take it to a show and it turned out to just be a bad ground.

How did you locate the bad ground? I always find electrical difficult to resolve.

How did you locate the bad ground? I always find electrical difficult to resolve.
The alternator is regulated within the computer on our jeeps so I knew there was a chance the issue was with the PCM and I did the easiest solution first and planned to go on from there. There are two main grounds from the PCM right next to it. I just cleaned them and it worked.

Reactions: mrjp and Lxxtsy
The alternator is regulated within the computer on our jeeps so I knew there was a chance the issue was with the PCM and I did the easiest solution first and planned to go on from there. There are two main grounds from the PCM right next to it. I just cleaned them and it worked.

Yea Chrysler has been regulating them that way every since the early 90's. The old 1 wire alternators were the best don't know why they couldn't have stayed with them.

Reactions: Danarch and mrjp
Fun fact. The box for replacement blinds for my sliding door leading to the deck is the exact length of the cabin of my 2door Sahara . So…. Lesson is don’t use the Jeep to pick up long items. Lol. Made it work though.

Cleaned out a nice size mouse nest under the hood. I will be storing it soon for the winter. What do others recommend for keeping the mice out?