UPDATE: Engine turns over on second attempt - every time

TopOnly

2012 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon

I have recently noticed that when I turn my ignition to the ON position, the battery light stays on and that’s when the vehicle will not start unless I take it out, crank it ON again, and then the battery light disappears and is able to turn the engine on. I’ve tried two different keys as well. Maybe it could be the ignition switch inside? I have had the battery tested - they said it’s still good, voltage is good, etc. I’ve attempted exchanging the PCM relays and others with new ones just to see if that would make a difference. Nothing. Has anyone had this issue?

Reactions: Dirty Dog
Take and put a meter on the battery post at the starter and have someone try to start it and see what kind of volts your getting. Also what he said^^^^.

Also do this test put the meter on the small terminal and check it's voltage while trying to start.

I'd wonder about a bad ground somewhere, first. Then I'd go ignition switch.
Does it ALWAYS do this on the first attempt and then ALWAYS start on the second?
I'd wonder about a bad ground somewhere, first. Then I'd go ignition switch.
Does it ALWAYS do this on the first attempt and then ALWAYS start on the second?
Thank you for responding. Always on the first attempt and rarely it does work on first attempt. It’s not consistent at all. And not always on second attempt sometimes it will work on the 3rd.

Things I noticed that might help:

After the 5 initial beeps in the on position, there’s a pause and it beeps once more with the battery icon displayed, that’s when I know it won’t work BUT last night I left the key in there instead of taking it out on my first attempt.. the battery icon disappears after one minute and it lets me start it like normal.

Take and put a meter on the battery post at the starter and have someone try to start it and see what kind of volts your getting. Also what he said^^^^.

Also do this test put the meter on the small terminal and check it's voltage while trying to start.
Thank you for responding. Always on the first attempt and rarely it does work on first attempt. It’s not consistent at all. And not always on second attempt sometimes it will work on the 3rd.

Things I noticed that might help:

After the 5 initial beeps in the on position, there’s a pause and it beeps once more with the battery icon displayed, that’s when I know it won’t work BUT last night I left the key in there instead of taking it out on my first attempt.. the battery icon disappears after one minute and it lets me start it like normal.

I realize you’ve had the battery tested, but did have the post, clamps, been inspected so they are clean and tight? The clamps can become loose. I would also look at the ground from the battery and make sure the other end is clean and tight.

I realize you’ve had the battery tested, but did have the post, clamps, been inspected so they are clean and tight? The clamps can become loose. I would also look at the ground from the battery and make sure the other end is clean and tight.
Yes sir we cleaned and inspected the clamps too and made sure it was tight. Tried it again a while ago and this time the radiator fan turned on along with the battery icon for about a minute until turning off by itself (key still in on position) along with the battery icon disappearing. This is when I know I am able to successfully turn on the vehicle. Also noticed that the radio is cutting in and out volume wise just today. That also fixes itself on it’s own whenever it wants to.

Reactions: BigAL07 and mrjp
By any chance is the little red dot light on the upper right of the dash on when this happens?

If it does that's the Security System and sometimes it's because the key FOB's battery is weak, maybe change the battery just in case.

Reactions: Danarch
If it does that's the Security System and sometimes it's because the key FOB's battery is weak, maybe change the battery just in case.
I can try to do that but I’m not seeing that the red light stays on at all. I see it first glance when switching to on position but disappears right away

I can try to do that but I’m not seeing that the red light stays on at all. I see it first glance when switching to on position but disappears right away

I just thought it would be a cheap thing to try, you don't have to just a suggestion.

I just thought it would be a cheap thing to try, you don't have to just a suggestion.
If that’s not the case, what would you think I could look at next ? I’m thinking the grounding issue mentioned but where would that even be located ? Since there is so many

If that’s not the case, what would you think I could look at next ? I’m thinking the grounding issue mentioned but where would that even be located ? Since there is so many

I added a ground from the neg post to the alternator case. There are grounds all over what is the year of your JK?

Reactions: BigAL07
Here are some manuals maybe they will help.

https://wranglerjkforum.net/threads/jk-and-jl-factory-service-manuals.29798/

Also have you tried wiggling the shifter back and forth while string to start it, if it's a automatic the shifter bushing can go bad and cause that.

Have you tried starting it in neutral?

How about putting the T-case in low range then trying to start it.

Here are some manuals maybe they will help.

https://wranglerjkforum.net/threads/jk-and-jl-factory-service-manuals.29798/

Also have you tried wiggling the shifter back and forth while string to start it, if it's a automatic the shifter bushing can go bad and cause that.

Have you tried starting it in neutral?

How about putting the T-case in low range then trying to start it.
Thank you for the manual. And no my vehicle is a manual transmission, I’ve tried it in neutral and in gear.

Did you check the wires at the starter like I said in a earlier Post?

You can also try the 2 low with a Manual trans.

Did you check the wires at the starter like I said in a earlier Post?

You can also try the 2 low with a Manual trans.
Ima take a look at the wire to the starter tomorrow to see if I can see any damage. Anything else I should be looking for ? I’ll also try that 2L method here in a few