UPDATE: Engine turns over on second attempt - every time

Ima take a look at the wire to the starter tomorrow to see if I can see any damage. Anything else I should be looking for ? I’ll also try that 2L method here in a few

You need to check the voltage at the 2 wires and use the starter body for your ground on the meter.

Reactions: BigAL07
You need to check the voltage at the 2 wires and use the starter body for your ground on the meter.
At least a battery was a cheap try at fixing it.
Voltage seems to be good, a thing I noticed a while ago was when the radio volume was not working, I turned on the AC and the radio came on and worked perfectly. Maybe it could be a grounding issue overall ? Right now, it’s letting me turn on the jeep on first try numerous times. I think if I leave it alone for a few hours or even minutes, that’s when the first attempt is a failure but it’s so inconsistent. One morning it perfectly turned on without any issues on the first try. There isn’t a pattern.

Voltage seems to be good, a thing I noticed a while ago was when the radio volume was not working, I turned on the AC and the radio came on and worked perfectly. Maybe it could be a grounding issue overall ? Right now, it’s letting me turn on the jeep on first try numerous times. I think if I leave it alone for a few hours or even minutes, that’s when the first attempt is a failure but it’s so inconsistent. One morning it perfectly turned on without any issues on the first try. There isn’t a pattern.

It might be the ign switch also, have you tried jumping the starter over at the starter the first thing before trying the key? Just make sure it's in neutral and have someone push the clutch pedal in.

Reactions: BigAL07 and TopOnly
Tracking down intermittent electrical gremlins is the worst thing ever.
I'm betting on a bad ground. Good luck. There are like 12,473 of them...

Reactions: Danarch and TopOnly
Tracking down intermittent electrical gremlins is the worst thing ever.
I'm betting on a bad ground. Good luck. There are like 12,473 of them...
You know I noticed this started happening when I took off the doors for the first time. I did replace headlights and a side marker as well. But I do remember these issues happened as soon as I took these doors off , not sure if that has to do with it. I put the doors back on of course and connected them.

You know I noticed this started happening when I took off the doors for the first time. I did replace headlights and a side marker as well. But I do remember these issues happened as soon as I took these doors off , not sure if that has to do with it. I put the doors back on of course and connected them.
I don't know how taking the doors off would affect starting. But after reading this, I owe you a debt of gratitude. I've had an intermittent electrical gremlin of my own. Just started a couple days ago. This reminded me that I had the doors off a couple weeks ago to replace all the hinges. Sure enough, the wire bundle for that door was plugged back in, but the locking tab wasn't engaged. So it wriggled. And got loose enough to make sporadic contact.
Easiest fix ever, once I made the connection (see what I did there?) with the doors being off.

Reactions: TopOnly
I don't know how taking the doors off would affect starting. But after reading this, I owe you a debt of gratitude. I've had an intermittent electrical gremlin of my own. Just started a couple days ago. This reminded me that I had the doors off a couple weeks ago to replace all the hinges. Sure enough, the wire bundle for that door was plugged back in, but the locking tab wasn't engaged. So it wriggled. And got loose enough to make sporadic contact.
Easiest fix ever, once I made the connection (see what I did there?) with the doors being off.
Lol glad I could somewhat help ! I’ll keep trying on my end. I can’t give up !!

2012 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon

I have recently noticed that when I turn my ignition to the ON position, the battery light stays on and that’s when the vehicle will not start unless I take it out, crank it ON again, and then the battery light disappears and is able to turn the engine on. I’ve tried two different keys as well. Maybe it could be the ignition switch inside? I have had the battery tested - they said it’s still good, voltage is good, etc. I’ve attempted exchanging the PCM relays and others with new ones just to see if that would make a difference. Nothing. Has anyone had this issue?
Maybe check your shifting cable.. that have me problems starting and always having to drop it in neutral until the cable actually went

Reactions: BigAL07 and TopOnly
A couple weeks ago, my Jeep would turn over on random attempts when turning the ignition, it was always a hit or miss. Now, I’ve noticed that every time I go to turn ignition, it will never work the first try, it will turn over and start on the second attempt - always. My battery is tested and still good, alternator is good, voltage is good on starter as well. I’ve also cleaned my battery terminals. No luck on a first attempt successful turn over.

P.S. not too sure if this is related to what’s going on but my radio is also a hit or miss. Aux, satellite, and fm/am will work when it wants to but usually starts off cutting off every 3 seconds for a couple of minutes and just randomly functions normal. The radio has been very inconsistent. It just could be a faulty radio from videos I’ve seen but still no luck. My main concern is the engine not turning over on first attempt.