What did you do to your JK today?

Well..it was delivered quicker than I thought. Officially left the Jeep club today and went Toyota. I will always respect the Jeeps for capability, but nobody can deny Toyota reliability!

Big plans for this thing already. Already have things in the shopping carts.

View attachment 120997

View attachment 120998
Well looking sharp but sad to see you go. Have fun and enjoy it and many adventures ahead.

Had a great day “yesterday“ in the El Dorado National Forest with friends.

73792162-66B2-4EDE-901D-B5793D85E817.jpeg
1D6A7A0D-555E-416F-BF72-57ED01801DDB.jpeg
234D0908-C35C-410F-8993-ECDE47E7A5A0.jpeg

I do like those front light trims
Being a Tj owner, we have this thread for fun, let's get it started.

I could not find a similar tread but if there's one @Chris can delete this one.

I recently bought a '17 JKU with cold package, automatic trans unfortunately, it's a work in progress since my TJ is a 5 spd. Few upgrades, Jl bumper with winch.

More to come shortly.

View attachment 118656

View attachment 118659
I do like those front light inserts/surrounds

Sooo, I decided to stop by 4 Wheel Parts near me and boy it was a mistake, lol....I cracked my tire carrier last year and been in the market for one. I ended up with the Smittybilt tire carrier. It was between the Rugged Ridge or Smittybilt carrier. The Terafelx version is out of the price range and this fit the bill. Hopefully get this installed over the weekend.

20220426_104600.jpg

20220426_131154.jpg

Sooo, I decided to stop by 4 Wheel Parts near me and boy it was a mistake, lol....I cracked my tire carrier last year and been in the market for one. I ended up with the Smittybilt tire carrier. It was between the Rugged Ridge or Smittybilt carrier. The Terafelx version is out of the price range and this fit the bill. Hopefully get this installed over the weekend.

View attachment 121059
View attachment 121060
That is the one I have, it has been great the last couple years! Adjust it the first time was a pain but I have been happy with it.

Reactions: JeepJeezy
Yes. I had a winch and spare tire on the tj and no issued at all.
Ordered three of them one for mine, wife’s and son’s. They arrived yesterday. I put mine on for fun to see how it would fit over the winch and rack above the spare tire. It actually covered the entire Jeep even with the rack. Nice to have the rubber bound holes in the middle, used a small bungie wrapped around the sliders. Only concern is if it will tear trying to put it on as it seems thin. Guess time will tell. Thanks for the recommendation.

Reactions: Lxxtsy and mrjp

View attachment 121059
View attachment 121060
You'll appreciate this one more than the Teraflex. I wrote a series of posts a year or so ago regarding the Teraflex and the issues I have with the hinges. The SmittyBilt you purchased has removable hinge pins, which are great to work with when you need to lubricate them.

Aren't you carrying 37s on that carrier?

Reactions: Jermbob28
You'll appreciate this one more than the Teraflex. I wrote a series of posts a year or so ago regarding the Teraflex and the issues I have with the hinges. The SmittyBilt you purchased has removable hinge pins, which are great to work with when you need to lubricate them.

Aren't you carrying 37s on that carrier?
I'm liking it so far and glad I went with Smittybilt. 35s is the max I'll run and shopping for tires us

Reactions: mrjp and Danarch
Last edited:
3rd brake light is federal law- how you getting around that, especially if you need an inspection every year?
I've never had issues regarding the 3rd light. Never had it on my TJ either. The only other 3rd light that you will get pulled over is the license plate light not working, lol.

This is the Required lighting equipment of vehicles for NC that I found online hope this helps.

So, the NHTSA required a 3rd brake light for all cars manufactured after 1986 and all trucks from 1994. There is a lot of individual state legislation that is confusing, but at the end of the day, it appears the only time a 3rd brake light becomes an issue is if there is one on the vehicle and it doesn't work. In other words, it needs to be there when the vehicle is manufactured, bought or sold. What happens outside of those 3 circumstances is up to the owner.

Reactions: JerryD and Lxxtsy
So, the NHTSA required a 3rd brake light for all cars manufactured after 1986 and all trucks from 1994. There is a lot of individual state legislation that is confusing, but at the end of the day, it appears the only time a 3rd brake light becomes an issue is if there is one on the vehicle and it doesn't work. In other words, it needs to be there when the vehicle is manufactured, bought or sold. What happens outside of those 3 circumstances is up to the owner.
Here in IL I haven't had any issues.

Ran the rearview camera wiring into the cabin today.
I had asked previously if others just pushed the wire through the vent flap behind the spare, or if they poked it through the brake light grommet, but when I took a closer look, I found this:
1651696118148.png

I drilled and cut a hole into the plug and created a new path for the camera wiring:
1651696188135.png

Trimmed the loom back enough to allow the wire to be routed through the fabric sleeve w/ the factory wires:
1651696280775.png

I cut the original wire ties and was able to push a new zip-tie through the hole, which allowed me to secure the wiring back to the original locations:
1651696386788.png

Added a layer of marine heat shrink to secure the connection and tucked the wiring behind the carpet for the next phase.
1651696534919.png

All that's left is to route the wire to the dash, connect power & ground connections at the taillight harness, & plug it into the radio. I already flashed the radio to activate the camera.

JSCAN license - $20 (in app)
iCar Pro OBDII scanner $32 (Amazon)
Rear camera w/ bracket - $54 (eBay)
3rd brake light (inside spare) - $22 (eBay)

All-in for under $130 doesn't seem bad when you look at the price many of the cameras & brake lights are being sold for.