What did you do to your JK today?

Yeah , water & electronics generally don’t mix well . Maybe give it some time to dry and maybe ok
We just bought it. Knew going in the radio has been dead for a long time. Checked the fuse...it's good... going to find the pin out for the radio connector and verify power.

Looking at ordering a cheap Boss double DIN head unit that supports the steering wheel controls...after we fix the leaking freedom panels.

-Mac

Reactions: mrjp
We just bought it. Knew going in the radio has been dead for a long time. Checked the fuse...it's good... going to find the pin out for the radio connector and verify power.

Looking at ordering a cheap Boss double DIN head unit that supports the steering wheel controls...after we fix the leaking freedom panels.

-Mac
I like the BOSS head units . Going that direction as well . Seems like a good value and many positive reviews

I like the BOSS head units . Going that direction as well . Seems like a good value and many positive reviews
This threw me for a loop. I was going to warm them off. I got a Boss for a work vehicle and absolutely hated it. The screen layout was nice, but the sound was really bad and while it connected to my phone, the mic was imbedded in the deck itself making for some very annoying conversations. It also reset the volume level every time I turned off the vehicle. I must have just chosen poorly, or it got installed poorly.

Reactions: BigAL07
This threw me for a loop. I was going to warm them off. I got a Boss for a work vehicle and absolutely hated it. The screen layout was nice, but the sound was really bad and while it connected to my phone, the mic was imbedded in the deck itself making for some very annoying conversations. It also reset the volume level every time I turned off the vehicle. I must have just chosen poorly, or it got installed poorly.
Well that doesn’t sound good at all . What was the model #
of the unit you had installed ?

Yeah same here. I had a BOSS back in the day and it lasted maybe 3 days before I tore it out of my dash and threw it out the window doing 70 down the interstate.

Reactions: mrjp and BigAL07
Took it to the shop to replace those pesky front axle seals

CE7EA5DE-1CA0-436F-9FCD-7EFE8F0731DD.jpeg

E69E7F08-AB30-4BEB-8773-9D3F36AAA6B0.jpeg

Yeah same here. I had a BOSS back in the day and it lasted maybe 3 days before I tore it out of my dash and threw it out the window doing 70 down the interstate.
Two for Two on this forum with Boss head unit issues .
Back to the drawing board to see what else is out there with the features I would like .

Two for Two on this forum with Boss head unit issues .
Back to the drawing board to see what else is out there with the features I would like .
I want to say that you get what you pay for with regard to car stereos... that being said, You can pay a ton of money for trash.

Innovation has really fallen off a cliff for these. Most new vehicles can't use them, I'm guessing the new JLs can't either given how integrated everything is into the screen these days. Meaning the car stereos are going to die, not 100% but the same way flip phones did. There will be some still out there with the same tech that was available in 2010.

I've shied away from the android screens given how old of versions android is on them, but I know some folks are very happy with them.

To get the best buying experience go to Crutchfield. They are trusted and will tell you all the items that are required for an easy and seamless install.

I want to say that you get what you pay for with regard to car stereos... that being said, You can pay a ton of money for trash.

Innovation has really fallen off a cliff for these. Most new vehicles can't use them, I'm guessing the new JLs can't either given how integrated everything is into the screen these days. Meaning the car stereos are going to die, not 100% but the same way flip phones did. There will be some still out there with the same tech that was available in 2010.

I've shied away from the android screens given how old of versions android is on them, but I know some folks are very happy with them.

To get the best buying experience go to Crutchfield. They are trusted and will tell you all the items that are required for an easy and seamless install.
I'm a huge Crutchfield fan; that's the place to go for anything car audio related, but the options that they have for the JKU are limited, unless you want those filler pieces on each side of the radio.
I had to go that route when I upgraded the head unit in my '08 Charger; never did get it to fit perfectly or look factory due to the unique shape/size of the original unit (which seems to be the same case for our '15 JKU).
While I agree about the concern of the Android operating system being "old" on most of the units I've seen, they should still be sufficient to pair to a phone, display some navigation and song data, etc. It's a car stereo after all, not a gaming PC.

Being a Tj owner, we have this thread for fun, let's get it started.

I could not find a similar tread but if there's one @Chris can delete this one.

I recently bought a '17 JKU with cold package, automatic trans unfortunately, it's a work in progress since my TJ is a 5 spd. Few upgrades, Jl bumper with winch.

More to come shortly.

View attachment 118656

View attachment 118659

I had a 2000 TJ that I sold before it got me in trouble or dead. ran in the mid 11s and it felt too unstable over 110 MPH to suit me. Got to admit it was a fun toy. I'm getting too old for this stuff, was born in1938 and so far it's been a good run.
What this is. .Is a 383 chevy stroker, cammed for super charger, Dart racing heads, roller cam and rocker arms, running a Built 400 turbomatic trans. Had a four speed when I sold it.
supercharger.jpg

I'm a huge Crutchfield fan; that's the place to go for anything car audio related, but the options that they have for the JKU are limited, unless you want those filler pieces on each side of the radio.
I had to go that route when I upgraded the head unit in my '08 Charger; never did get it to fit perfectly or look factory due to the unique shape/size of the original unit (which seems to be the same case for our '15 JKU).
While I agree about the concern of the Android operating system being "old" on most of the units I've seen, they should still be sufficient to pair to a phone, display some navigation and song data, etc. It's a car stereo after all, not a gaming PC.
Until recently, those stereos that required the plastic tabs on the side were literally all you could get. It's a standardization thing. With the advent of the floating screen thing you can get other sizes, but you will pay for it. I'd love the alpine 11" one, but it is $1400.

And I agree that it's not a gaming PC, but I've heard too many stories about how poorly they integrate with things, and just general poor performance. If you can find an android from a credited company then you would probably be fine. However, for the most part, at least to my understanding, any Android unit is going to be from a company that will disappear in a year to be replaced by a different company with the same people in the same factory, making them impossible to track down for issues.

Taking a look at Amazon, they certainly are cheap enough for a try, but if sound quality is important to you... There are reasons why Crutchfield doesn't sell them.

That being said, any of you that have one installed and can give testimonial either way. Perhaps they have come around and are worth it now. I do like the idea of them.

Reactions: JeepJeezy
Until recently, those stereos that required the plastic tabs on the side were literally all you could get. It's a standardization thing. With the advent of the floating screen thing you can get other sizes, but you will pay for it. I'd love the alpine 11" one, but it is $1400.

And I agree that it's not a gaming PC, but I've heard too many stories about how poorly they integrate with things, and just general poor performance. If you can find an android from a credited company then you would probably be fine. However, for the most part, at least to my understanding, any Android unit is going to be from a company that will disappear in a year to be replaced by a different company with the same people in the same factory, making them impossible to track down for issues.

Taking a look at Amazon, they certainly are cheap enough for a try, but if sound quality is important to you... There are reasons why Crutchfield doesn't sell them.

That being said, any of you that have one installed and can give testimonial either way. Perhaps they have come around and are worth it now. I do like the idea of them.
I'm leaning toward the 10.1" version with the integrated dash bezel, so that it doesn't look like I glued an iPad to the dash.
The model I'm considering has 6GB + 64GB, running Android 10.
That doesn't seem too old or obsolete to me, but you may be right with the resources available from the maker after a short period of time.
That will give me a bit to chew on between now and when I finally pull the trigger on an upgrade.

You are correct that spending more doesn’t always give you better .
I come from an audiophile background so know full well not even going to attempt to get the quality of sound I have in the house . It’s worth more than a new Rubicon. It can be a very expensive hobby when you get in deep .
That said the systems that have come in new vehicles the past 10-15 years are pretty good TBH.
Everything new like the JL like you said is integrated with many other systems in the vehicle so upgrading isn’t really even an option on many many new vehicles .
My JK is a 2008. So not intergrated with all other vehicle functions .
Happy with the sound . Infinity I think it is . Glitches Off for no reason once & awhile , hence looking at something else with Apple car play for google maps, messaging and another couple apps on the screen would be cool .
Crutchfield sells BOSS . That’s what came up as an option when entered in vehicle info on their site . When the time comes there is a high end Car Audio business here going to talk with and reach out to Crutchfield to see other options .
Really want knob for volume,
Apple car play , front USB & AUX in , front /rear cameras.
As long as current sound quality doesn’t take a hit I would be happy with whatever .