What did you do to your JK today?

No !! But our dog always goes with us. My wife always volunteers us to go help search for lost dogs. I don't mind it gives me a good reason to go for a nice off road drive and hopefully help find a lost dog.
So are you saying you go around opening back yard gates so you can go jeeping? 😂
On serious note have you found many?

• Haha
Reactions: Locky and mrjp
So are you saying you go around opening back yard gates so you can go jeeping? 😂
On serious note have you found many?
Yea we have. Actually it is a rush being out in the middle of the desert going up a wash and around the corner you see the dog. You have to freeze because if you move to fast you scare the dog that is already scared. Then snap a quick picture and see what kind of mood the dog is in some will bolt and some will just walk up to you. Most dogs will remain in the same area for a bit before trying to find home. We were looking for a 6 month old German Shepard that had been lost for about 3 or 4 days when we saw her she bolted and we headed cross country in my old fj40 trying to follow her and she just disappeared. The owners left their jeep and some clothes out and when they came back out in the morning the dog was on the hood of there jeep. Dogs are funny when scared and in survival mode. it's really rewarding when you are able to help someone that truly loves there dog find it and be able to take it back home. If you take your dog out camping or day tripping consider a GPS Tracking Collar

Removed the factory bumper, put on a steel bumper and the Badlands Apex winch. I haven’t hooked up the power yet, for one I need to figure out where to put the disconnect switch and how to mount it. There doesn’t appear to be mounting holes / brackets for it so will need to come up with somthing.
View attachment 119697View attachment 119698
Meant to respond to your message.

I didnt use the disconnect switch. I didnt feel like it was a super smart move in case of emergency. If someone is in danger then I want a few steps as possible to get them to safety. I recall watching a Jk Gear and Gadgets video where he was heading to an expo with a group. When on the trail one in their group slipped off the side of a road and was close to rolling. He was able to act quickly and save the vehicle. Just my thoughts.

Removed the factory bumper, put on a steel bumper and the Badlands Apex winch. I haven’t hooked up the power yet, for one I need to figure out where to put the disconnect switch and how to mount it. There doesn’t appear to be mounting holes / brackets for it so will need to come up with somthing.

Instead of a disconnect switch I like to use battery quick connects, then you can make up a set of jumper cables that will use them also.

Reactions: mrjp
Meant to respond to your message.

I didnt use the disconnect switch. I didnt feel like it was a super smart move in case of emergency. If someone is in danger then I want a few steps as possible to get them to safety. I recall watching a Jk Gear and Gadgets video where he was heading to an expo with a group. When on the trail one in their group slipped off the side of a road and was close to rolling. He was able to act quickly and save the vehicle. Just my thoughts.
No worries, we all have busy times. Thank you for the thoughts. Not sure what I will do, I’ve never installed a disconnect switch on a winch before and never had a problem. I was wondering if it had something to do with the fact the winch can be operated remotely. Wonder what the risk would be from someone else’s remote (or some device) being able to activate the winch? If I don’t install the switch I’ll need to come up with a method to lengthen the cable as without out the disconnect switch and the extra 12” of cable its too short.

Thank you! Might be an option.

The local farm store usually has 20' 2ga jumper cables on sale for around $20.00. I ran one on my F350 from the battery to the rear and then I can plug in my winches, jumper cable, and hydraulic pump for my trailer. Makes it real convenient for about anything, but you'll only need it for the front.

Reactions: Lxxtsy
The local farm store usually has 20' 2ga jumper cables on sale for around $20.00. I ran one on my F350 from the battery to the rear and then I can plug in my winches, jumper cable, and hydraulic pump for my trailer. Makes it real convenient for about anything, but you'll only need it for the front.
So if I understand this correctly, you install one with some short cables at the battery post, then the other one with some sort cables at the winch side. Buy set of jumper cables, snip off the two ends to plug into the quick disconnects when you want to use the winch?

So if I understand this correctly, you install one with some short cables at the battery post, then the other one with some sort cables at the winch side. Buy set of jumper cables, snip off the two ends to plug into the quick disconnects when you want to use the winch?

If you just want the power at the front you'll just need enough cable from the battery to reach the connector on the winch cable, I would think 3' to 4'. Then the extra cable that's left leave the jumper clamps on one end to use as a jumper cable that will have the disconnect on the other end. So you'll need to have at least 3 of those disconnect clamps, one for the cable from the battery, one for the cable from the winch and one for the cables you'll use for the jumper cables.

Also the disconnects you'll need some solder and a small propane torch to put the cable ends on the disconnect lugs. I can post some pictures if that will help.

You're going to love that winch. I have the same one on my Willy's.

Added grab handles and grill inserts.
179CED35-2967-43A4-8382-14544E76EAD7.jpeg
D3801742-0450-46CE-82F3-CF1971B68FD5.jpeg

If you just want the power at the front you'll just need enough cable from the battery to reach the connector on the winch cable, I would think 3' to 4'. Then the extra cable that's left leave the jumper clamps on one end to use as a jumper cable that will have the disconnect on the other end. So you'll need to have at least 3 of those disconnect clamps, one for the cable from the battery, one for the cable from the winch and one for the cables you'll use for the jumper cables.

Also the disconnects you'll need some solder and a small propane torch to put the cable ends on the disconnect lugs. I can post some pictures if that will help.
Thank you, I‘ll let you know if I need pictures. Still not sure what route I will go.

I did use it. I have it mounted to the firewall behind the battery. I'll try and get a couple pictures for ya.
That would be great. Did you switch out the cable from the winch then? Mine seems too short to reach that far. Maybe I should route it different. I have it routed to the passenger side fender area, up behind the headlight and then straight back towards the battery.

That would be great. Did you switch out the cable from the winch then? Mine seems too short to reach that far. Maybe I should route it different. I have it routed to the passenger side fender area, up behind the headlight and then straight back towards the battery.
OK I'll get some pictures tomorrow after work for ya. I used the cables that came with mine.

OK I'll get some pictures tomorrow after work for ya. I used the cables that came with mine.
Did you route yours similar to how I routed mine? I have extra cables since I didn’t relocate the control box, bit not sure I want to connect multiple cables together besides the using the switch.

Did you route yours similar to how I routed mine? I have extra cables since I didn’t relocate the control box, bit not sure I want to connect multiple cables together besides the using the switch.
I have my wire ran from the winch, under the grill, up behind the passenger headlight and tight against the fender. I unmounted my fuse box to keep the wire against the fender and then tightened everything back up. I didn't use any of the extra wires.

20210909_155300.jpg

20210909_155227.jpg

Reactions: mrjp