What did you do to your JK today?

Finished up the camera install. The problem I ran into the other day ended up being a bad RCA-22 pin adapter harness. It had a short somewhere...

PXL_20231109_213819709.jpg

Got it back from getting the plugs changed and a new ignition coil for 3rd spot. Was under it and noticed a lot of grease here at the front driveshaft and trans case. Cleaned it off and definitely doesn’t look like anything is actively leaking. Any ideas?

Edit: i don’t have a rzeppa front DS, could the double cardan be throwing grease or is it just old grease?

IMG_5361.jpeg

IMG_5360.jpeg

IMG_5359.jpeg

IMG_5358.jpeg

Last edited:
Got it back from getting the plugs changed and a new ignition coil for 3rd spot. Was under it and noticed a lot of grease here at the front driveshaft and trans case. Cleaned it off and definitely doesn’t look like anything is actively leaking. Any ideas?

Edit: i don’t have a rzeppa front DS, could the double cardan be throwing grease or is it just old grease?

View attachment 125522

View attachment 125523

View attachment 125524

View attachment 125525

It looks like your pinion seal could be leaking a little bit, have you checked your oil level? Doesn't look bad enough to replace it yet, might also check the differential breather to see if it's plugged up. A plugged breather will make oil leaks at the seals.

It looks like your pinion seal could be leaking a little bit, have you checked your oil level? Doesn't look bad enough to replace it yet, might also check the differential breather to see if it's plugged up. A plugged breather will make oil leaks at the seals.
I had all fluids flushed and changed after I bought it and that was about 5k ago. Dumb question but how do I check the oil level for that?

I’ll find the diff breather tube and see how it’s fairing.

I had all fluids flushed and changed after I bought it and that was about 5k ago. Dumb question but how do I check the oil level for that?

I’ll find the diff breather tube and see how it’s fairing.

You check diff oil where you fill it, the oil level should be about at the bottom of the fill hole.

Reactions: BattJKU35
Hit 198,000 miles on Mrs. Dogs JKUR today. Still runs great. The rear main seal leaks a bit, but I can't convince myself it's worth fixing. I'll just top it off as needed until it's time for a rebuild.

I got a CEL the other day. JScan tells me it's a "thermostat rationality" error. Which is a weird way to word it.
Dug into it today. I've got a small split in the radiator. So I ordered a new radiator and thermostat.

Reactions: tJKrider
I got a CEL the other day. JScan tells me it's a "thermostat rationality" error. Which is a weird way to word it.
Dug into it today. I've got a small split in the radiator. So I ordered a new radiator and thermostat.
Is there a typical upgrade usually made when replacing a JK rad or is the OEM sufficient?

OEM is preferred over the junk available at the auto superstores.
Thx, I was thinking more like a quality, increased capacity aluminum aftermarket radiator not an auto store special... Other vehicles I have had with large followings (Mustang, Miata, etc) have multiple options available but I haven't done any research in the Jeep community yet. It may not even be necessary, nor am I looking to spend money just for the sake of it. 😀

Thx, I was thinking more like a quality, increased capacity aluminum aftermarket radiator not an auto store special... Other vehicles I have had with large followings (Mustang, Miata, etc) have multiple options available but I haven't done any research in the Jeep community yet. It may not even be necessary, nor am I looking to spend money just for the sake of it. 😀
If you're putting a supercharger or some such on your Jeep, you will likely need a larger radiator with more flow. That's often the case with performance cars; you can bet the radiator in my vette is not OEM.