Steering dampner help

That keeps gook from being flung up from the road into your engine bay. You can remove it with no negative consequences other than a dirtier engine.

But there is zero chance of that impacting your steering.

That keeps gook from being flung up from the road into your engine bay. You can remove it with no negative consequences other than a dirtier engine.

But there is zero chance of that impacting your steering.
The conversation has wandered a bit from the initial topic. I'm trying to identify a vibration that hits around 40-45 mph. The steering seems ok to me. My mechanic suggested a steering stabilizer. I'm trying to find the issue causing the vibration.

Reactions: Speartip
What about the air dam? It is quite loose. Can I remove that? Or does it serve a purpose?

For reference it is this part:
The air dam should not affect the entire vehicle, even loose. It should be tightened up though. If you can, take a look at the alignment between the track bar and the drag link. They should be nearly parallel. You say the system is not lifted, but is there a chance that one or both were replaced for some reason?

The conversation has wandered a bit from the initial topic. I'm trying to identify a vibration that hits around 40-45 mph.
If by vibration you mean a physical vibration, then that panel cannot be the cause. If you mean an audible buzzing noise, then it might. Anything can vibrate and make noise.
The steering seems ok to me. My mechanic suggested a steering stabilizer.
Your mechanic should hang up his wrenches. Steering stabilizers do not fix anything.
I'm trying to find the issue causing the vibration.
It's too bad your mechanic didn't do that rather than suggest a way to hide the problem, rather than fix it.

If by vibration you mean a physical vibration, then that panel cannot be the cause. If you mean an audible buzzing noise, then it might. Anything can vibrate and make noise.

Your mechanic should hang up his wrenches. Steering stabilizers do not fix anything.

It's too bad your mechanic didn't do that rather than suggest a way to hide the problem, rather than fix it.
Best way I can describe the sensation is: it sounds/feels like I’ve a good subwoofer. It rattles the back window (I have a hardtop). Feels like it originates up front.

It is not death wobble.

Jack up the rear axle on jack stands and have someone put it gear while another person checks the rear tires to see if they wobble, could be a bent axle shaft.

My Wife had that happen a few years ago on her Jeep Liberty , took a while to figure that one but replaced the axle shaft and all was good.

Jack up the rear axle on jack stands and have someone put it gear while another person checks the rear tires to see if they wobble, could be a bent axle shaft.

My Wife had that happen a few years ago on her Jeep Liberty , took a while to figure that one but replaced the axle shaft and all was good.
Interesting. Appreciate the input.

How much did that set you back? Do you recall?

Interesting. Appreciate the input.

How much did that set you back? Do you recall?

No I don't remember but I don't think it was over $200 for the axle shaft and new axle shaft bearings. I repaired it myself and the hardest part was getting the old bearings out of the axle housing.

I've never had to replace any shafts in a JK so not sure what they would cost.

Depending on the axle you get the axle is around $200 then the bearing and seal, which I think was around $20 total. Axles can be a lot higher depending on brand and what you want. I changed the bearing and seal myself (axle was okay). You will need a press to press the bearing on, or find a place to do it. Another option is to get the bearing already on the axle, but might cost a little more.

This is a really good suggestion . Didn't even think of this .

So you’ve ruled out the wheels . That’s a positive step .
I know it’s a PITA fig this shit out .
As @Dirty Dog mentioned above . Time to check the tie rod, drag link ends and track bar bushings .
I’m almost certain that is where issue will be . Or your drive shaft lost a weight .
How do I determine if a driveshaft lost a weight?

How do I determine if a driveshaft lost a weight?
Here are 3 pics pulled off the internet showing weights .
Rectangular curved pieces of metal tack welded to driveshaft . If recently lost one there will be noticeable colour diff where weight was .
Most but not all shafts will have a balance weight . Sometimes the shaft will have been within spec and not needed one .
220DF0DC-7EC8-4DAB-A6BA-9E8695355DB4.png
B6C21013-CB2A-43D7-8C2C-2474BD93C4C0.png
6CD21924-0711-432C-9B34-A5787845EFA8.jpeg

Here are 3 pics pulled off the internet showing weights .
Rectangular curved pieces of metal tack welded to driveshaft . If recently lost one there will be noticeable colour diff where weight was .
Most but not all shafts will have a balance weight . Sometimes the shaft will have been within spec and not needed one . View attachment 123186View attachment 123187View attachment 123188
Thanks! It does not look like it’s missing weight assuming it would have had 3 on there.

Thanks! It does not look like it’s missing weight assuming it would have had 3 on there.
You cannot assume that it needed 3. Most driveshafts will need at least one balance weight, but some will need more. Some need none. The number and location of weights varies widely.

Haven’t replied in a while… been too busy to keep digging into this issue. But I did have some time recently to discover this on my front driveshaft CV joint. Looks burst to me. Am I diagnosing this correctly? My Jeep is not lifted.

86B63AFD-3B2E-4BBF-8AC9-6D12861B84AE.jpeg

Haven’t replied in a while… been too busy to keep digging into this issue. But I did have some time recently to discover this on my front driveshaft CV joint. Looks burst to me. Am I diagnosing this correctly? My Jeep is not lifted.

View attachment 123638

The rubber boot probably has a rip in it, it's rubber and doesn't last forever. I'll never understand why they ever put a joint like that on these Jeeps.

Reactions: BigAL07
The rubber boot probably has a rip in it, it's rubber and doesn't last forever. I'll never understand why they ever put a joint like that on these Jeeps.
So going back to my original issue (vibration at 45 mph) - any thoughts as to this being the culprit?