Steering dampner help

buddcm81

Supporting Member
I recently purchased a 2015 2dr manual. I've noticed when I hit 40+mph it gets a heavy vibration from under the hood that rattles back to the rear window. Imagine a subwoofer but I'm not playing the radio. Mechanic recommended a new steering dampner. Is that the same as a steering stabilizer? I've seen a lot of threads on stabilizers, but no mention of dampners.

Thanks!

I recently purchased a 2015 2dr manual. I've noticed when I hit 40+mph it gets a heavy vibration from under the hood that rattles back to the rear window. Imagine a subwoofer but I'm not playing the radio. Mechanic recommended a new steering dampner. Is that the same as a steering stabilizer? I've seen a lot of threads on stabilizers, but no mention of dampners.

Thanks!
Yes , mechanic probably means steering stabilizer .
Unfortunately it probably isn’t
the correct repair . It will band
aid temporarily what the actual problem may be .
1. Worn hub/bearing
2. Tire or tires out of balance
3. Worn out track bar bushings
4. Tie rod / Drag link ends worn
5. Driveshaft lost a weight and
out of balance
6. Worn ball joints

There are some UTube videos on how to check track bar , drag link and tie rod to see if
those are the issue .
Same videos also will show
how to check if ball joints are
going

Yep- everything Speartip said. This is a suspension/alignment/balance issue. Needs to go on a lift and every bushing, ball joint, attachment points, even frame inspection (a cracked weld or frame rail tweaked a little).
Would highly recommend a reputable 4x4 shop that can give it the once over for you.

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I will checkout the youtube vids you mentioned. This isn't a daily driver and I'm getting ready to store it for the winter so I have some time to get the real issues diagnosed and corrected.

Follow up question: If I slap a band aid on it now (stabilizer) would that make it harder to diagnose the real problem(s)?

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I will checkout the youtube vids you mentioned. This isn't a daily driver and I'm getting ready to store it for the winter so I have some time to get the real issues diagnosed and corrected.

Follow up question: If I slap a band aid on it now (stabilizer) would that make it harder to diagnose the real problem(s)?

Before buying a band aid i'd try swapping the front wheels and tires to the rear and see what happens.

While I was under the Jeep looking around I found some caked on mud on the rims. Not much... but some. Could that be enough to throw the wheels off balance? As a reminder I get a vibration/humming around 40 mph.

While I was under the Jeep looking around I found some caked on mud on the rims. Not much... but some. Could that be enough to throw the wheels off balance? As a reminder I get a vibration/humming around 40 mph.
As @BLACKJKU & @Acxman said , it can . If the mud was pretty thick and centered on one part of the rim as opposed to being evenly ish distributed for sure can throw off balance .Clean it up and take it for a drive .

Last edited:
Cleaned up the mud and took it for a spin. It didn't doo much. Although, I got the vibration around 50mph and I'll say it seemed to lessen a bit once I had been driving for a bit. Maybe it had some impact but there is something else causing the vibration.

I'll keep at it and will be sure to keep everyone posted once I find the issue.

What about the air dam? It is quite loose. Can I remove that? Or does it serve a purpose?

For reference it is this part:

39675A73-6ED4-4224-96F9-A0E193429FD9.jpeg

Reactions: Speartip