Lifetime powertrain warranty buyout

Scott W

I’ve got a 08 jk that has 250k miles on it. I’ve kept up with inspections but I have a blown head. It’s been in the shop for months at the dealership while they have been looking for a replacement engine or parts to repair my current engine. I am getting a call from the regional guy tomorrow at which time they are going to offer me a buyout because they say that the parts to repair my keep are unavailable. It seems to me that Chrysler is purposely discontinuing parts for the purposes of getting out of the warranty. Thoughts on my options. And what would be a fair buyout?

So you feel that if I am offered market value for the jeep and I get to keep it, that would be fair?I need an educated opinion. If it costs me 5-6 k to replace the engine, I’m looking at pocketing 6k or so. I personally would rather have my jeep fixed and keep the warranty but evidently that’s not an option

So you feel that if I am offered market value for the jeep and I get to keep it, that would be fair?I need an educated opinion. If it costs me 5-6 k to replace the engine, I’m looking at pocketing 6k or so. I personally would rather have my jeep fixed and keep the warranty but evidently that’s not an option

Best thing to do is to see what they offer, and then ask about possibly keeping the jeep. Tell them you need to think it over then report back.

Reactions: Danarch
So a regional guy for Chrysler calls today and offers me nada/kbb 7k (which is way less than what you can sell the keep for now) and didn’t even offer to let me keep the jeep. So they expect me to sell them my jeep for way less than market value and I get nothing for my lifetime powertrain warranty? In my opinion, they should have come to me apologizing for not being able to hold up their end of the contract and trying to make it right. At minimum I should have been offered market value for the jeep and a compensation for losing the warranty and probably should let me keep the jeep. What are your thoughts. I can’t be the only person dealing with this right now. Am I being unrealistic here. Mopar is at fault for this issue. Not me

• Wow
Reactions: mrjp and JeepJeezy
I wouldn't give it to them and loose money on it. If they want out of it they should at least pay you what the engine replacement was going to cost and let you keep it.

Yes. I own it. The lifetime powertrain warranty is solid in its definition. They want out of these warranties so in my opinion they stopped making the engine and parts. But since they made this decision, they should come up with a better option than to offer me what a low traded in offer from kbb and that is all. No warranty compensation, no fair market value. And I don’t want to sell my jeep. I want it fixed. I bet if they bought it from me, they would “find” an engine and put it on the lot for 15000 sighting that it has a brand new reman engine. 🙄

This is a general opinion question. If you owned a jk with 250k miles on it with a lifetime powertrain warranty still in tact, what would that warranty be worth as far as jeep possibly trying to buy you out of it?

This is a general opinion question. If you owned a jk with 250k miles on it with a lifetime powertrain warranty still in tact, what would that warranty be worth as far as jeep possibly trying to buy you out of it?

Actually the Warranty only covers repairs to the Jeep, but if they say they are buying the Warranty out and also taking the Jeep then they should give you what the Jeeps value is.

I think they should be buying you out by giving you what ever the cost was for replacing the engine. What is the name of the Warranty Co?

Reactions: mrjp
Mopar can’t find a factory engine for my 08 jk with a lifetime powertrain warranty. So they are trying to buy my jeep. I don’t think that it’s fair for them to buy my jeep even at market value and not give me something for the warranty. So I’m asking what is a fair buy out for my warranty. Why would I just give it up ?

It’s probably hard to determine a fair value at this point. There is the value of the Jeep but how do you place a value on a lifetime warranty? In my opinion the longer you own it the more value it has because it is simply more prone to need repairs due to wear and tear.

Is it required to be taken to a Jeep dealership? Jeeps are one of the most popular vehicles on the road and parts just don’t simply stop being available for them. True they may not be factory or will be refurbished but they are available. People are still repairing the old faithful in-line 6’s (4.0-4.2)

Reactions: FJQue
Yes. Jeep has to do the repairs with Mopar parts. Problem is that Mopar has conveniently stopped making parts for the 07-09 Jks

If it where me, I would expect them to give me the money back for the warranty and let me keep the Jeep. They defaulted on their part of the contract. I honestly feel that is fair.

Cars break down. Its not their doing that the engine reached its demise. Everything "dies" as TypoNegative put it. You surely got a nice set of miles from it too, so its not a bitter end necessarily.

I would also get a reman in it after you settle with Jeep. And even more certainly if the Jeep had no other issues prior to the engine failure.

Wish you the best. 👍 Keep us posted. Its always nice to hear the outcomes.

Cheers.

This probably won't help . Extended warranties are like insurance .
You write off your vehicle , insurance pays you out and keeps vehicle. You don't get to double down & keep vehicle .
These warranty deals like insurance are there for only one reason.
Make money . They enjoy bringing money in to make a profit . But don't like to hand out so much .So I'm kinda not surprised they low balled you . They are a bit of a scam .
I paid 15K CDN for my 08 last June .
Def read fine print on warranty . It would say fair market value if Jeep is unfixable for whatever reason . But I'm guessing warranty company covered their ass every which way on this and it won't say anything remotely close to that .
You like your jeep . Maybe look at reman parts and flip,for the bill yourself to repair .

Reactions: mrjp
This lifetime powertrain warranty came free of charge with the jeep when I purchased it. Chrysler was in a pinch at the time and added this perk to select vehicles to encourage people to purchase them. It was part of the reason that I purchased the jeep and I have held up my end of the bargain by keeping up with the required check ins. They want out of these warranties now that it’s starting to cost them money. If they were to put a reman engine in the jeep, it would most likely fetch anywhere between 11-12k right now. So what I should have is a jeep worth that still under the warranty. I don’t want to sell my jeep or I already would have. It’s very much in their best interest to buy this jeep and end the warranty. Why should I have to lose this warranty because they want it to end without compensation? This is their own doing by their decision to stop making parts for this jeep. They should make sure you his right