Starter problem

Autozone Dorman help rack #14055. Did my 07. Same bushings fit the tranny shifter linkage , the transfer case shifter and your gear shifter. Pulled my console replaced both of those and made a minor adjustment to the shift cable at the nut and end of problem🍺🍺

Reactions: JerryD and BLACKJKU
Reactions: BLACKJKU
The one part of the TC is done from the underside. The other end you have to remove the center console enough to change out the bushing. I suspect the tranny is the same way.

Reactions: BLACKJKU
My son just bought a 07 Wrangler unlimited about a month ago and we've been chasing an intermittent starting problem. On occasion, the starter will grunt and turn the motor maybe 10 degrees, not enough to fire, when you turn the ignition to start.
I have had the battery checked, pulled the starter and had it checked. All good. Checked voltages at cable end and on yellow wire at the starter. Good as well. When I put it back together, it started fine. Next episode, a dozen or so start cycles later, same problem. I replaced the ignition switch on the lower column, we were good again until this morning.
Pulling the IDO fuse doesn't always make a difference.
Since the starter will at least try, I wouldn't think it'd be the neutral safety switch.
Needless to say, after 10 years of wanting a Jeep, this is disappointing.
Anyone else experience this? Suggestions?
Thanks!
Greg
07 3.8, 115,000 miles.
I would be inclined to look at the solenoid on the starter, and maybe the connector on the solenoid to the battery. Also, a very unlikely thing, is there oil in the starter? Long ago when dirt poor, I had a Dodge station wagon (the Mitsubishi-made Colt). It had a leaky seal at the back of the motor that leaked oil into and onto the stater. It would gradually drown with similar symptoms.

Reactions: Brens07
I would be inclined to look at the solenoid on the starter, and maybe the connector on the solenoid to the battery. Also, a very unlikely thing, is there oil in the starter? Long ago when dirt poor, I had a Dodge station wagon (the Mitsubishi-made Colt). It had a leaky seal at the back of the motor that leaked oil into and onto the stater. It would gradually drown with similar symptoms.
I have noticed an oil leak, maybe the rear main. So far, putting it in neutral when it acts up has been successful so far. New shift bushings on the way. If it acts up again, I will sure look into your suggestions. Thank you!

Reactions: Duster and BLACKJKU
Ok, so I replaced the shifter cable bushing today with the Dorman part. Was really hoping the bushing was at the shifter end. Maybe wishful thinking since the Jeep had been sitting out in the rain. Pulled it in, found the cable at the tranny, got the old bushing out and liked to never got the new one in. When I reinstalled it on the arm I was expecting a really solid clunk or pop or.something, but ran it through several gear changes before I started it and so far so good. Now, just wait and see if this fixed the no start problem.
I'm getting too old for this.😄

If not, pull the console and do the one at the shifter end also. When I did mine I loosened the nut on the cable on that end and gave it a little slack towards the firewall then tightened it back down. That in turn pushes the tranny linkage back further for better contact. That did the trick for mine. Be sure to have a few beers before u pull the console. That is also fun! lol. Good luck brother 🍺🍺

If not, pull the console and do the one at the shifter end also. When I did mine I loosened the nut on the cable on that end and gave it a little slack towards the firewall then tightened it back down. That in turn pushes the tranny linkage back further for better contact. That did the trick for mine. Be sure to have a few beers before u pull the console. That is also fun! lol. Good luck brother 🍺🍺
Thanks Al! Yeah, my Haynes manual didn't have a lot to say about pulling the console. Figured I was gonna be on my own with that!😄
Thanks everybody