Starter problem

Brens07

My son just bought a 07 Wrangler unlimited about a month ago and we've been chasing an intermittent starting problem. On occasion, the starter will grunt and turn the motor maybe 10 degrees, not enough to fire, when you turn the ignition to start.
I have had the battery checked, pulled the starter and had it checked. All good. Checked voltages at cable end and on yellow wire at the starter. Good as well. When I put it back together, it started fine. Next episode, a dozen or so start cycles later, same problem. I replaced the ignition switch on the lower column, we were good again until this morning.
Pulling the IDO fuse doesn't always make a difference.
Since the starter will at least try, I wouldn't think it'd be the neutral safety switch.
Needless to say, after 10 years of wanting a Jeep, this is disappointing.
Anyone else experience this? Suggestions?
Thanks!
Greg
07 3.8, 115,000 miles.

Last edited:
Only the negative, the positive broke and was replaced a couple weeks ago.
The negative is holding tight.
In retrospect, the yellow connector on the solenoid had a little slop to it. I'm wondering if it's not always making good connection (?)
I don't ever remember, in 40+ years working with cars, seeing something like this. Starters either clicked, whirled, were slow, or just dead.

Only the negative, the positive broke and was replaced a couple weeks ago.
The negative is holding tight.
In retrospect, the yellow connector on the solenoid had a little slop to it. I'm wondering if it's not always making good connection (?)
I don't ever remember, in 40+ years working with cars, seeing something like this. Starters either clicked, whirled, were slow, or just dead.

You need to replace that ground clamp also it's a known electrical problem.

Last edited:
Just got out to try the starter again. No go, same grunt. I put it in neutral and it fired right up. Several times in park. So the neutral safety switch is the culprit? I really thought if the switch was faulty, it wouldn't have done anything.

Just got out to try the starter again. No go, same grunt. I put it in neutral and it fired right up. Several times in park. So the neutral safety switch is the culprit? I really thought if the switch was faulty, it wouldn't have done anything.
Either your neutral safety switch or the "bushing" for the selector at the transmission is bad.

Reactions: BigAL07
When you say the bushing for the selector, I'm assuming the bushing on the cable end of the shift arm in the transmission?
If you look on top of the transmission, you'll see the selector arm and on the end is a plastic bushing inside what reminds me of a heim joint. The bushing wears and can cause a no start and/or no selection of gears. It's a cheap and easy fix. Even if it wasn't your main problem now, it will be in the future. My WJ used the same bushing. The bushing went on it and left me stranded. Luckily I carry zip ties and was able to zip tie back on to start it and get me home.

Reactions: JerryD
That's what I thought. If I may, can it be accessed by removing the shifter or does it have to be done underneath? And is that a dealer only part ?