Snowbird with a '16 JKU Sport

Snowbird Tom

JK Enthusiast
Supporting Member
My van life Transit Connect transmission died on arrival last fall in Houston. Ended up finding a sweet JKU at a local dealer for a reasonable price with lots of mods. Being a retired mechanic, I gave it a good hour lookover in their lot and drove it like I stole it. Happy camper on purchase! It's set up with the complete 4" Teraflex lift, Smitty bumpers and 17" wheels with 33" MTs that were mismatched. They were swapped out for 35" XTs yesterday. Noise and ride are greatly improved and the XTs will suffice for my Michigan adventure camping trips.

Now! On with the reading here. Got's stuff to learn before jumping in with both feet. ;)

IMG_0914.jpeg

Thanks! 98k and automatic. Got a flat fender kit to do when I get back to the main home and my tools.
That helps a lot with clearance, and in my opinion just plain looks better.
With the auto and 35's, you may want to consider a gear change, unless the previous owner swapped them during the lift. And since you've got the diff open, it's also the perfect time to toss in a pair of lockers...

Reactions: Speartip
That helps a lot with clearance, and in my opinion just plain looks better.
With the auto and 35's, you may want to consider a gear change, unless the previous owner swapped them during the lift. And since you've got the diff open, it's also the perfect time to toss in a pair of lockers...

Appreciate your opinion!

Yup and I’m going to check the gear ratios and change fluids when I get home where my real tools live in a couple weeks. I’m hoping I find some 4.56 or 4.88s in them. Honestly, I think they’ve been changed because after installing the new rubber, speedo was dead on and performance is still good.

It’s only money. :)

Appreciate your opinion!

Yup and I’m going to check the gear ratios and change fluids when I get home where my real tools live in a couple weeks. I’m hoping I find some 4.56 or 4.88s in them.
Hopefully. Yours isn't a Rubicon, so it came with 3.21 or 3.73 gears originally. The 3.73 would probably be tolerable with the 33's, and feel sluggish with the 35's.
Honestly, I think they’ve been changed because after installing the new rubber, speedo was dead on and performance is still good.
Speedo adjustment takes less than a minute with JScan or similar...

Hopefully. Yours isn't a Rubicon, so it came with 3.21 or 3.73 gears originally. The 3.73 would probably be tolerable with the 33's, and feel sluggish with the 35's.

Speedo adjustment takes less than a minute with JScan or similar...
Build sheet says 3.73s with TracLock. JScan downloaded and iCar Pro 4 was ordered earlier today.

A lifted Tacoma TRD wanted to play while I was out. He wasn’t losing me from the light. ;)

At 98K, plugs will need to be changed soon. I’d recommend doing the coil packs at the same time.
Googling the process and who was the rocket surgeon that designed this engine? :LOL: Pull the intake to access coils? I'm gonna have to build an elevated platform to work on this engine since I'm a short old wrench bender with bad knees and back. MIght just slide the motorcycle lift over and use it with some rubber non-slip matting! :unsure:

Recommended coils and plugs? I only want to do this once. MOPAR and Champion would be my guess.

Anything else under there that needs attention while it's all apart? Change the intake gaskets required or recommended?

These hoods do fold back to the windshield like the old CJs, right? I also value my nekkid scalp.

Not sure who design these things, some days I think the engineers sit around laughing about mow much work it will be for some sucker to work on the engine.

I would stick with OEM for the parts. I think OEM for the plugs are NKG or Champion. I am not sure what the process is for the fuel injectors and if the same stuff needs to be removed or not. I didn’t change mine. I’d recommend doing the spark plug wires too. Id didn’t do that as I was having some other work under warranty (leaking valve gasket) being completed so while they were in there the labor for plugs and coils was only about an extra hour so I told them to go ahead and do the work instead of me just tearing it all apart again. I simply forgot to mention the spark plug wires, but probably something I will just follow up on myself.

Almost forgot, this is Jeep 2 in the driveway. Got a cheap 2002 Liberty to play in the snow a couple years ago. It’s a Michigan truck, so rockers are roached. Got all the maintenance caught up and drive it for fun and camping trips. Whopping 185k miles on it and still goes pretty good. Properly filthy!

C4FEC5B7-8DC5-4BF2-B50C-3CFFC24BADCF.jpeg

Long ago, there was a real Jeep CJ5 hardtop in the garage. Spring over axle, 360 swap, no creature comforts. Fun! Had a huge $1500 into it and $600 of that was new tires.

Googling the process and who was the rocket surgeon that designed this engine? :LOL: Pull the intake to access coils? I'm gonna have to build an elevated platform to work on this engine since I'm a short old wrench bender with bad knees and back. MIght just slide the motorcycle lift over and use it with some rubber non-slip matting! :unsure:

Recommended coils and plugs? I only want to do this once. MOPAR and Champion would be my guess.

Anything else under there that needs attention while it's all apart? Change the intake gaskets required or recommended?

These hoods do fold back to the windshield like the old CJs, right? I also value my nekkid scalp.
I changed my oil cooler/filter housing to an all aluminum when I did plugs. It wasn't leaking but while half the motor was apart to do change plugs, why not upgrade. Oh and Welcome!

I changed my oil cooler/filter housing to an all aluminum when I did plugs. It wasn't leaking but while half the motor was apart to do change plugs, why not upgrade. Oh and Welcome!

Good thought! With most of the top off, it’s easily accessible. It goes on the list for next month also.

ARGGG! No coffee this morning. o_O We're in process of coming back north to Michigan and our primary residence. Most of the household goods got stored yesterday.

Today is vacate the rental apartment in North Houston. Got a U-Haul 5x8 hooked to the back of the JK. Taking a few last things to the storage locker, then pack the go home stuff. We're donating the main furniture to our youngest son in Austin who's coming over this afternoon with a trailer. Living room, kitchen table and end tables to him. Leaves me a mattress, bed frame and 70" tv to stash.

Three days scheduled to drive home because we're retired and it just snowed up there! *shiver*

Reactions: Speartip and mrjp