Snowbird with a '16 JKU Sport

M'kay! Kenwood Excelon DNX997XR super stereo removed from Jeep Liberty, old OEM installed. Got all the antennas, SiriusXM tuner and install wiring in hand. Just ordered the mount kit to physically mount it in the JK dash because I'm not quite lucky enough to have the Liberty install kit work. lol Next week, it all goes together.

It's a great choice because I have the Topo maps for Garmin on an SD card that goes into the radio along with the ability to update the road nav maps as needed.

ETA: So, went to Crutchfield's website over coffee this morning to see about install instructions. Found out I needed a few other thangs to make it all work. Since I spend money there before, I had some bonus credits from them. A nice discount off the kit order. Hope all goes well with this most complicated radio install ever for me. 😆

Last edited:
In between rain showers this morning, I finished cleaning up the hitch wiring and redid all the hitch mount light's wires. Solder/shrink tube, secured sheathing and zip tied up out of harm's way. The new lights are easily triple the light of the old beat up junk.

While I was under there, I was looking around and realized the hit that bowed the rear bumper lip also creased the muffler real well. Like I needed an excuse for a performance cat back kit next month. :LOL: Any recommendations/suggestions on good 'uns? No loud ones, but a nice low growl is cool. Gotta tuck up tight too. No crushed muffler tips.

Reactions: Speartip
In between rain showers this morning, I finished cleaning up the hitch wiring and redid all the hitch mount light's wires. Solder/shrink tube, secured sheathing and zip tied up out of harm's way. The new lights are easily triple the light of the old beat up junk.

While I was under there, I was looking around and realized the hit that bowed the rear bumper lip also creased the muffler real well. Like I needed an excuse for a performance cat back kit next month. :LOL: Any recommendations/suggestions on good 'uns? No loud ones, but a nice low growl is cool. Gotta tuck up tight too. No crushed muffler tips.
These questions are always really difficult to answer. Because one persons nice growl is another persons annoying drone.

https://wranglerjkforum.net/threads/how-to-install-an-axle-back-exhaust.30667/ will take you to a how-to I did on my axle back, with before, muffler delete, after, and acceleration clips.

I also found this compilation of exhaust clips.

Quit raining!!!

Got all the flare and grill marker lites wired. Next up, CB radio install.

IMG_0970.jpeg

IMG_0971.jpeg

Well, that was easy!

Antenna mount was put on when it came in a couple weeks ago. Stuffed a 5’ Firestik into the mount, routed the coax along the wiring inside the back door, along the outer wall, under the carpet all the way to the front. Slipped it behind the kick panel and up under the glovebox where I hung the small power box for the microphone. Connected the power mic, ran the power leads up behind the center dash console for connection when I pull that all apart for the radio install. Put the tools away and time for a cold Coke.

Following DirtyDog’s(?) lead on a phone holder led me to a combo CB mic/GMRS radio mount in the same position. Thanks for that, boss!

Project for the next couple days - build a removable floor pan for the cargo area to hold a complete tool box, Iceco JP50 fridge, 12 solar battery with a 110 converter and a recovery kit bag.

Got 36”x39” area to work with and it’s tight but doable. Plywood’s cut to size and test fitted. Padding and carpet are yet to be cut down and stapled on. Toolbox will have an angle iron base frame and a cargo strap secured under footman loops. Fridge with footman loops and a strap. Battery will be secured to decking.

Pics soon.

These questions are always really difficult to answer. Because one persons nice growl is another persons annoying drone.

https://wranglerjkforum.net/threads/how-to-install-an-axle-back-exhaust.30667/ will take you to a how-to I did on my axle back, with before, muffler delete, after, and acceleration clips.

I also found this compilation of exhaust clips.
Thanks! That was pretty comprehensive collection of decent brand systems and I saved it for sharing later. Should have stated I have the MBRP cat back system on the Liberty and it's fine. Just enough throat to make you feel alive.

Ended up getting the Dynomax Super Turbo 53804 Exhaust Muffler kit with warranty from Amazon's returns warehouse for just a few peanut shells over $100. I'll end up buying a good clamp and be done with it. Don't need no chrome tips or fancy stuff. Good throat with none of the back popping of wide open systems. It'll be here Wednesday and on by that evening. Started spraying penetrating fluid today.

Thanks! That was pretty comprehensive collection of decent brand systems and I saved it for sharing later. Should have stated I have the MBRP cat back system on the Liberty and it's fine. Just enough throat to make you feel alive.

Ended up getting the Dynomax Super Turbo 53804 Exhaust Muffler kit with warranty from Amazon's returns warehouse for just a few peanut shells over $100. I'll end up buying a good clamp and be done with it. Don't need no chrome tips or fancy stuff. Good throat with none of the back popping of wide open systems. It'll be here Wednesday and on by that evening. Started spraying penetrating fluid today.
You'll need lots of that. When I did mine, I ended up using an air hammer to split the tube in order to get it off.

Spent some money with Rhino for a recovery kit. Snatch strap and block, soft ties, tree protector and a tire repair kit with a bag to keep my crap together. Be here in a week.

Today is swap Michigan plates onto it. 9am appointment at our DMV.

Plate swap was a bzzzt. Talked to the DMV HQ folks yesterday. Oh, yeah, you have what you need. Local office? Where’s your title? I don’t have a hard copy. Texas is e-docs only. Called my loan people and they’re ordering one for me, but 3-4 weeks hopefully. Stupid know no bounds.

Rainy, drab and cold. Great day to install a stereo!!

Wired up the harness at the kitchen table, read the instructions twice and said ok. Ended up having to take the factory metal support cage out to let the Kenwood slide in. Put the four face mount screws in, turned the key before installing all the plastic (I ain't stoopit). Lights up, goes thru the setup screen and everything works. HALLELUJAH!!! Swapped the SiriusXM account over and buttoned it up. Life is good and the dash is bone clear of any visual obstructions. Topo maps in the GPS for trail riding along with the current street nav maps.

IMG_0989.jpeg

The tune playing is so damn appropriate.

Forgot - the USB charging ports got installed too. Where the bag hook ustawas.

Awesomeness!! I pulled the SD card with the maps on it from the radio and put it in my laptop to see what version of maps was on it using Basecamp. Garmin Express says - hey, dummy! You have an update for this mapset. It's now putting the newest set of maps on it. After that happens, I'll add the image map of North America Topo 100. Bought and paid for, used on several devices sequentially using an SD card.

Well, Kenwood responded. No Topo maps can be installed on the radio's system. I'll toss the windshield mount GPS into the glovebox and use it as needed offroad.

Today is swap muffler day. Had to run up and get a proper clamp from Autozoned. Got back and started the process by loosening the band clamp that's already there. Someone put a tack weld on it, so it's only option is to open up. Used a drift and hand sledge to put a nice gap in it. Next step is to let the thing cool off from the road trip to the store. She's a mite warm. I'll use a chisel to drive the joint loose then.

Prepping for a 3 day northern Michigan off roading weekend. Rough camping and all that. Mini-mutt is going as navigator. Headed to Buckley/Mesick area south of Traverse City.

Packing the cooler with solar battery and necessities, recovery gear, tools and comfort stuffs. Gonna be cool nights - down to low 40s. 🥶 Got the super cold sleeping bag with room for me ‘n fuzzy butt to stay warm.

IMG_1001.jpeg