P06DD after Dorman oil cooler install

macleanflood

JK Enthusiast
Replaced the oil cooler in our 2012 JK with the aluminum Dorman one from Amazon a month or so ago. Came with a new filter and sensors... everything installed fine except all the plastic clips on the coils...did coils and plugs at the same time...broke off and all of them got zip tied down.

No codes. Everything's been great.

Oil change light comes on.

Change the Dorman filter out for a Wix 57526...now I noticed the Dorman filter has a plastic cage and ball on one side (wish I kept it or took a picture) and the Wix doesn't. Still fits in fine... didn't use the included o-ring...put in 5 quarts of Valvoline 5w-20 High Mileage... middle of the dipstick. Test run everything is perfect... little low on coolant so I top it off.

Next day wife drives it to work. Check engine light. Limp mode in high rpms. Jscan shows P06DD.

Add a quart of oil. Clear the codes. Same issue.

Did I do something wrong with the filter? Perhaps the Dorman housing means I need a different filter and I missed that somehow?

Is the brand new oil pressure sensor dead?

155k miles...did I just lose the oil pump?

Looks like I need to order a cap so I can check oil pressure...I'll get that coming.

Thoughts?

-Mac

PS looking at pictures of the 2014+ filter they have the plastic ball... running into town tomorrow for a newer model filter.

Last edited:
Not going to be a lot of help, but checked dormans website. I didn’t see anything in the instructions about using s specific filter type. I would expect if a specific type of filter was required it list it in the instructions. I’m sure others will have input as plenty use the product.

Reactions: Speartip and mrjp
Answered my own question...it does indeed convert it to a 2014-2017 oil filter...Wix WL10010.

That or somehow I installed the wrong Dorman oil cooler...

Left side is the 2012 and right is the 2014.

IMG20230331093023.jpg

Do we have a resources item for the aluminum cooler and should we edit the original post for posterity?

-Mac

Maybe edit initial post , up to you . Would provide clarity for someone doing the Dorman conversion . Not everybody is necessarily going to read entire thread . If info in first or second post than will be noticed more . I would think anyways :)

Reactions: mrjp
Dorman, if Im not mistaken, recently released an aluminum housing for the 12-13 JK's. The 14 and up is in fact a different filter+housing. So OP, did you correct your issue going to the correct filter? Going to guess this thread is still TBC?

Reactions: Artisanau and mrjp
Well that's a great question...I assumed I ordered a Dorman. I searched for the Dorman on Amazon. I swear I ordered a Dorman...but I guess I didn't...so go figure...and yes putting the 14-17 model year filter solved all the code issues.

View attachment 124034

I’m not sure I understand but yes you ordered a Dorman .
That’s a Dorman model #.
E5BE7C6C-E65C-4DBA-96A5-F97B6517C37D.png

Reactions: Artisanau
Dorman, if Im not mistaken, recently released an aluminum housing for the 12-13 JK's. The 14 and up is in fact a different filter+housing. So OP, did you correct your issue going to the correct filter? Going to guess this thread is still TBC?
What you say is correct, but it is also correct that it doesn't matter. Jeep changed the cooler design slightly for 2014. But the 2014+ cooler works just fine on a 12-13 JK. It's slightly taller and has a couple places that are wider, but it still fits and functions properly. If I recall correctly, all Dorman coolers use the 14+ filter. Because it's a better design.

Reactions: Artisanau
This is one of the big reasons I try not to get stuff from Amazon anymore. You have to pay such close attention to the postings so you get what you think you are getting. For some things, it's the only option available annoyingly.

That being said, I've had luck with some of the cheap knockoffs, typically from Ebay. The carburetor on my 70's Stihl FarmBoss was $20 and works perfectly after the local Stihl shop hunted for an official one for around three months.

Hopefully GooPool is just a reseller, or making the same quality of stuff.

Ok...Jeep hemorrhaging oil down the back of the transmission. Round 2...ordered a Dorman from O'Reilly's.

Dorman on left. GooPool center. Original Mopar on right.

GooPool casting is noticably lighter than the Dorman. Dorman is stamped made in the USA. Dorman cap mentions the conversion to the 2014+ filter.

I think poor quality o-rings did in the GooPool. That and the included sensor was loose on removal. I confirmed tight on install. Switching back to original sensors per instructions.

-Mac

IMG20230528173748.jpg
IMG20230528181643.jpg
IMG20230528173204.jpg
IMG20230528173158.jpg

Ok...Jeep hemorrhaging oil down the back of the transmission. Round 2...ordered a Dorman from O'Reilly's.

Dorman on left. GooPool center. Original Mopar on right.

GooPool casting is noticably lighter than the Dorman. Dorman is stamped made in the USA. Dorman cap mentions the conversion to the 2014+ filter.

I think poor quality o-rings did in the GooPool. That and the included sensor was loose on removal. I confirmed tight on install. Switching back to original sensors per instructions.

-Mac

View attachment 124404View attachment 124405View attachment 124406View attachment 124407
What a pain in the ass job, but now you're a pro at it.👍

Looks like the Dorman is certainly a quality part. I actually really like that the cap orange. They're not trying to hide that it's aftermarket and it confidently let's you and anyone looking into the engine bay know it. Of course I know you'll keep the forum in the know. Hopefully this one goes the long haul.

Replaced the oil cooler in our 2012 JK with the aluminum Dorman one from Amazon a month or so ago. Came with a new filter and sensors... everything installed fine except all the plastic clips on the coils...did coils and plugs at the same time...broke off and all of them got zip tied down.

No codes. Everything's been great.

Oil change light comes on.

Change the Dorman filter out for a Wix 57526...now I noticed the Dorman filter has a plastic cage and ball on one side (wish I kept it or took a picture) and the Wix doesn't. Still fits in fine... didn't use the included o-ring...put in 5 quarts of Valvoline 5w-20 High Mileage... middle of the dipstick. Test run everything is perfect... little low on coolant so I top it off.

Next day wife drives it to work. Check engine light. Limp mode in high rpms. Jscan shows P06DD.

Add a quart of oil. Clear the codes. Same issue.

Did I do something wrong with the filter? Perhaps the Dorman housing means I need a different filter and I missed that somehow?

Is the brand new oil pressure sensor dead?

155k miles...did I just lose the oil pump?

Looks like I need to order a cap so I can check oil pressure...I'll get that coming.

Thoughts?

-Mac

PS looking at pictures of the 2014+ filter they have the plastic ball... running into town tomorrow for a newer model filter.
14-18 JK filter is what you need to use. Housing is built for the last model JK filters.
Just installed one of these on my 15 JKU. You will definitely be happy with it as you won’t find a valley full of oil and coolant like the plastic one left you with!