P0430 Code Catalytic Converter

Speartip

JK Addict
Supporting Member
Much has been written about this code . Figured share my experience .
JSCAN came up P0430 code . Intially I was confused as to how to fig
out if catalytic converter or other issue .
Doing some research I learned faulty ignition or fuel system delivery
can cause a P0430 code.
Tripped over a UTube video showing how to actually diagnose a faulty
C Converter.
Using a infrared thermometer once engine heated up. Idle at 2K and
check temp of CC on the intake and outlet side of the converter.
The outet should be about 100 degrees hotter than intake .
I'm at about 50 degrees so the thing is probably plugged up.
I've got super smooth idle . But at 50 , 60 & 80 kph is runs really
rough and hesitates. That is also a symptom of faulty CC.
Lack of oxygen.
On JSCAN you can read the live voltage values . Monitored mine
and they are off to what I see recommended . Can't remember exactiy
what they were saying . It's been a couple weeks since testing .
Anyway ordered a non factory CC system of Amazon .
Received that .
Just found out today can get 4 new NTK sensors locally for roughly
same pice online .
These are the NTK part #'s for a 2008 3.8 litre
23159 down stream left & right
23566 upstream left
25186 upstream Right
Do not attempt to use Bosch or any other brand of 02 sensors.
Research online showed codes popping up using other brands.
It has to do with incorrect voltage when other brands are used .
The weather here is getting wet so found a shop that will install.
Will update once everything Installed .

Reactions: BLACKJKU
Been running Bosch O2 sensors on my 07 Rubi 3.8 for close to 3 years now with zero issues. Go figure 🍺🍺

Sorry for delayed response .
Interesting about the Bosch .
Jeep forums & UTube channels all mentioned NGK and a few mentioned issues with the Bosch . Unfortunately they never gave years or details .
One channel got more in depth and mentioned sone 02 sensors don’t work in the 3.8 cause voltage is off ?
Maybe the Bosch work ok with 2007-2011 3.8 ? Issues reported possibly with 3,6.
I just be speculating here .
It’s good to know for others that NGK & Bosch work with the 3,8.
I’ve got the cats & 4 NGK sensors . Bring it in Fri for install .

Reactions: BLACKJKU
Sorry for delayed response .
Interesting about the Bosch .
Jeep forums & UTube channels all mentioned NGK and a few mentioned issues with the Bosch . Unfortunately they never gave years or details .
One channel got more in depth and mentioned sone 02 sensors don’t work in the 3.8 cause voltage is off ?
Maybe the Bosch work ok with 2007-2011 3.8 ? Issues reported possibly with 3,6.
I just be speculating here .
It’s good to know for others that NGK & Bosch work with the 3,8.
I’ve got the cats & 4 NGK sensors . Bring it in Fri for install .

Did you buy Factory Cats or aftermarket ones?

I have long tube headers and high flow cats and my downstream 02's I had to use 02 foolers to keep them from setting off the CEL.

Did you buy Factory Cats or aftermarket ones?

I have long tube headers and high flow cats and my downstream 02's I had to use 02 foolers to keep them from setting off the CEL.

They are factory replacements but not made by Mopar . Sone reviews were great . One guy wrote only lasted 6 months . Couldn’t beat the price compared to OEM brand .

E7F9F263-CD2B-4529-A1B4-17D4627FED43.png

Yeah I’m kinda bummed . Got the CC installed professionally .
The crossover pipe hangs to low for front skid plate to mount .
It hangs about 2-3” lower than stock . It did clear codes I was getting so on the right track .
I need that front skid plate cause its pretty dinged up so doing it job protecting trans & crossover pipe . Without it would rip off cross over pipe and probably damage front end of trans pan .
So much for a good deal . UGH . There is an exhaust shop located in Ontario that sells the cat setup for JK’s.
Emailed them about clearance and if mounts properly like OEM. Just waiting for response .
About $650 CDN
OEM 1200-1400 CDN
BA289A84-4282-41B8-A7C8-818594454BE1.jpeg

Yeah I’m kinda bummed . Got the CC installed professionally .
The crossover pipe hangs to low for front skid plate to mount .
It hangs about 2-3” lower than stock . It did clear codes I was getting so on the right track .
I need that front skid plate cause its pretty dinged up so doing it job protecting trans & crossover pipe . Without it would rip off cross over pipe and probably damage front end of trans pan .
So much for a good deal . UGH . There is an exhaust shop located in Ontario that sells the cat setup for JK’s.
Emailed them about clearance and if mounts properly like OEM. Just waiting for response .
About $650 CDN
OEM 1200-1400 CDN
View attachment 125350
That is a bummer. Curious, any option to have a shop cut the pipes up higher and provide a piece of new pipe between the two in order to raise the crossover pipe? Hope that makes sense.

That is a bummer. Curious, any option to have a shop cut the pipes up higher and provide a piece of new pipe between the two in order to raise the crossover pipe? Hope that makes sense.
Yeah, this should be an easy fix. Exhaust isn't rocket science. Any exhaust shop in business should be able to cut and weld to make this fit.

Apologies for delayed response . Just dealing with sone stuff .
I kinda thought about that .
Crawled underneath a couple of times to get a better idea .
Where the crossover meets drivers side . Wouldn’t really be able to bend in that area .
To cut & weld with shop rates what they are nowadays
It’s just about the same price and Just order new cats that actually fit .
Confirmed with exhaust shop
that cat system they sell 100 percent fits exactly like OEM.
No issues installing skid plate etc . Price is reasonable @ $650.
Going to install myself while the engine is apart . Have to do head gaskets now . Kinda knew on the way out but symptoms getting worse .
Since half of engine peeled apart may as well take of cats.

Reactions: Danarch
Yeah, this should be an easy fix. Exhaust isn't rocket science. Any exhaust shop in business should be able to cut and weld to make this fit.
Yeah you would think . But where crossover meets passenger side can’t really bend that area . To cut it all up and reweld may as well get new ones that actually fit .

Yeah you would think . But where crossover meets passenger side can’t really bend that area . To cut it all up and reweld may as well get new ones that actually fit .
Perhaps the farmer focused shops around me are more willing to do that kinda thing. Though at the same time I know most don't like people bringing in random internet junk.