New taillights

trover

I fitted some LED tail lights when I couldnt buy the two pin jeep bulbs. The reverse lights were a bit dissapointing, but I found these on alibaba, LED reverse and fog lamps. The design of the jeep lights is such that the bulb is larger than the hole to remove from the rear, so the bumper had to be removed - not very hard really. The polarity on the supplied plugs was wring as well, I had to re-wire to suit. Happy with the result.

IMG_0187.JPG

IMG_0191.JPG

IMG_0192 (2).JPG

I fitted some LED tail lights when I couldnt buy the two pin jeep bulbs. The reverse lights were a bit dissapointing, but I found these on alibaba, LED reverse and fog lamps. The design of the jeep lights is such that the bulb is larger than the hole to remove from the rear, so the bumper had to be removed - not very hard really. The polarity on the supplied plugs was wring as well, I had to re-wire to suit. Happy with the result.

View attachment 123247

View attachment 123248

View attachment 123249
Is it the law in N.Z. to have brake and back up lights mounted
on the bumper as well? Or is it just the way Jeep designed it
down there ? In North America haven't seen anything like that
on the rear bumper from the Jeep factory

Is it the law in N.Z. to have brake and back up lights mounted
on the bumper as well? Or is it just the way Jeep designed it
down there ? In North America haven't seen anything like that
on the rear bumper from the Jeep factory
Not in NZ, ( or Australis) but European cars all seem to have rear fog lights, the standard fog lights must be something Jeep does for export markets. As I said, not alot of thought has gone into the design of the standard rear fog, removal from the rear of the bumper is prevented by the bulb bieng larger than the bulb.

Reactions: Speartip
Not in NZ, ( or Australis) but European cars all seem to have rear fog lights, the standard fog lights must be something Jeep does for export markets. As I said, not alot of thought has gone into the design of the standard rear fog, removal from the rear of the bumper is prevented by the bulb bieng larger than the bulb.
Sorry my friend . In Canada and the US when we refer to fog lights,
we're talking about extra lighting at the front .
Are you meaning to state back up lights . Lights that only come on
while in reverse? Or do you have actual fog lights in the rear that
will operate and stay on while in Drive .
Yeah but I hear you . Sounds like pain to have to remove bumper
to replace bulbs .

Sorry my friend . In Canada and the US when we refer to fog lights,
we're talking about extra lighting at the front .
Are you meaning to state back up lights . Lights that only come on
while in reverse? Or do you have actual fog lights in the rear that
will operate and stay on while in Drive .
Yeah but I hear you . Sounds like pain to have to remove bumper
to replace bulbs .
In much of the world, there are actual fog lights mounted on the rear. They are actually an excellent idea, especially given how many of those vehicles have the potential to be driven in someplace like the UK, where what we in the US would consider crippling fog is common.

Reactions: Speartip and mrjp
In much of the world, there are actual fog lights mounted on the rear. They are actually an excellent idea, especially given how many of those vehicles have the potential to be driven in someplace like the UK, where what we in the US would consider crippling fog is common.
Really , didn’t know they mounted fogs in the rear . Good idea cause yeah some places fog is super thick .
Gives people behind a chance to see them or extra lighting when backing up .

Reactions: JeepJeezy and mrjp
Our Smart has rear fog lights. Yes we have four Jeeps and still have a Smart car.
Mrs. Dog loves the MMC Smart Car. Last time we were in the UK, I rented a 911 convertible and we spent the first week touring southern England; stayed at Caverswall Castle, Amberley Castle, Thornbury... Lovely!

The next week was in and around London. So by her choice, we rented a Smart convertible. Those things are more fun that you'd expect, on the small twisty roads in the UK, and they're an outstanding city car.

I wouldn't want to drive one on the US interstate system, though. Especially in the mountains.

Reactions: Speartip
Mrs. Dog loves the MMC Smart Car. Last time we were in the UK, I rented a 911 convertible and we spent the first week touring southern England; stayed at Caverswall Castle, Amberley Castle, Thornbury... Lovely!

The next week was in and around London. So by her choice, we rented a Smart convertible. Those things are more fun that you'd expect, on the small twisty roads in the UK, and they're an outstanding city car.

I wouldn't want to drive one on the US interstate system, though. Especially in the mountains.
Quite a few Smart Cars in Edmonton & Victoria . Never been in one . My only concern would be if you got hit by a truck or steel bumpered Jeep .

Sounds like an amazing trip .

Quite a few Smart Cars in Edmonton & Victoria . Never been in one . My only concern would be if you got hit by a truck or steel bumpered Jeep .
The passenger compartment in a Smart Car is enclosed in a structure that passes as a roll cage by NASCAR standards. With airbags and seatbelts (assuming people are smart enough to wear them) they're as safe as any vehicle on the road.

The Smart Car earned a 4-star rating from the NHTSA for frontal impacts, a 5-star rating for side impacts, and a 5-star rollover rating.
The Wrangler earned a 4-star rating for frontal and side impacts, and a 3-star rollover rating...
Sounds like an amazing trip .
We do a lot of traveling. My family is Scottish, and I spent most of my youth in the UK and Spain. Mrs. Dog had never traveled before we got married, so I've been trying to help her catch up. We travel south 3-4 times a year for dive trips. I'll drive in Europe. I'll drive on some of the islands. I will absolutely not drive in Mexico.

Reactions: mrjp
They claim they are pretty stout, as @Dirty Dog stated you basically are driving around in a steel roll cage. From others who have been in accident they claim the air bags deploy and car sort of bounces around some and that is about it. It really is amazing the amount of room inside for two people. We’ve always driven Jeeps, Suburbans, Crew Cab Silverados so it was not something we normally would consider but several years ago was driving a fair amount and gas was a killer so we got a 2012 and then the 2016 which is a much improvement. The license plate is “itsunme” as not something I thought I’d ever own.

Drove it from Sac to Lake Tahoe a few times the thing does amazing with the turbo in it.

Reactions: Dirty Dog and mrjp