New Axle Shaft won’t go in

Austin__Peter

So, I got a new passenger side axle shaft for my Dana 44. When I go to put it in, it goes in, and I can feel the splines matching, but there’s still a couple inches of space, and it will slip.

However, when I put my old one in, it seats all the way no problem.

They have the same spline count and everything, the only thing I could think of is the little holes at the end. The stock one has a bigger hole the the new one. Does that go into something in the driveshaft?

Is there something I have to do to the diff to seat it right?? It’s just weird because the stock one goes in just fine, but the new one won’t go in all the way.

Anyways, any help is greatly appreciated!! Please let me know!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Isn’t there a deal where there were Rubicon’s that had the Dana 44 HD which meant a 32 spline count? I don’t know if that meant a different shaft on the front or not, but with that big of a difference in a part, that is the place to start.

I’d pull the diff cover and se show it goes in etc, may not help, but always good to change the gear oil anyway.

Isn’t there a deal where there were Rubicon’s that had the Dana 44 HD which meant a 32 spline count? I don’t know if that meant a different shaft on the front or not, but with that big of a difference in a part, that is the place to start.

I’d pull the diff cover and se show it goes in etc, may not help, but always good to change the gear oil anyway.
Pretty sure yeah, but I counted the splines and they had the same amount.

Since the difference in the holes or sockets at the end might be making the difference, if you can look with a good light where the end should seat, you might be able to figure out what the trouble is. Probably dismantle at least partially the differential and look from there if you need to.

Reactions: Austin__Peter
Do you know what locker you have? The end of the axle slides into the locker. Did you measure the axle shaft you're replacing?

Reactions: BigAL07
Yeah just the standard e lockers from factory. I throughly measured the shaft next to the old one. The end of it almost looks like it wasn’t machined down enough…