Need help with lift kit purchase for 2012 JKU

I am not sure, but based on my research it seems like MetalCloak, Teraflex, and AEV seems to be in the top 3 of quality or have a lot of good reviews. I am sure there are others, such as the ones offered by Clayton Off-road. After doing mine last weekend I’ll certainly say it is not a project I would want to do twice from a labor persepctive, not to mention cost. In my opinion better to wait a little bit to get something that you’ll be happy with and will give long lasting performance.

I am not sure, but based on my research it seems like MetalCloak, Teraflex, and AEV seems to be in the top 3 of quality or have a lot of good reviews. I am sure there are others, such as the ones offered by Clayton Off-road. After doing mine last weekend I’ll certainly say it is not a project I would want to do twice from a labor persepctive, not to mention cost. In my opinion better to wait a little bit to get something that you’ll be happy with and will give long lasting performance.
did you do it by yourself? or did you have help?

did you do it by yourself? or did you have help?
Did it all by myself. My son came out a couple of times, one time he held back the fender well cover while I installed the top of the front shocks but that was it. Of course it would be easier with two people but can be done with one person. for me the most difficult part was torquing the control arms bolts to 125ft lb while holding the wrench on the other side. Half the control arms had flag~nuts so it was not all of them.

Did it all by myself. My son came out a couple of times, one time he held back the fender well cover while I installed the top of the front shocks but that was it. Of course it would be easier with two people but can be done with one person. for me the most difficult part was torquing the control arms bolts to 125ft lb while holding the wrench on the other side. Half the control arms had flag~nuts so it was not all of them.
how long did it take you?

All of Friday afternoon and all day Saturday. I’d estimate a total of 16 hours, but a lot of that was in and out of being under the Jeep, thinking through the steps etc. Having someone to help would save a fair amount of time. It wasn’t difficult and AEV instructions were pretty clear. In a couple of spots I swapped the steps of the instructions.

Reactions: mrjp
I’ve heard good things about Metalcloak, but I run an AEV. I can honestly say if I ever start over on another rig, I will not consider anything other than AEV. I drive 80mph down the interstate to the trail head. Soft enough for trails but stiff enough the roll-out on corners is minimal. As far as I am concerned, AEV nailed the engineering on their dual sport kit. I have no reservations about recommending it.

And by the way, where are you wheeling up there? I’m looking for some new parks to try…

Reactions: mrjp and Danarch
I have the 2.5 Teraflex with the 9550 shocks and am happy with it. I got it from one of the two places you mentioned. I've purchased from both.

As a heads up, Quadratec just moved over to a new computer system or something and is having some glitches. A part I ordered in early Feb and then canceled, just arrived, and I was charged for it.

I'm a bit annoyed.

• Face Palm
Reactions: mrjp