Need help with lift kit purchase for 2012 JKU

wadsmith42

This is my first post on here, and i havent done any major mods to my jeep since i bought it. i bought it with front and rear bumper already installed, rock sliders, winch, and 18 in rims with 35 in tires. since i am a college student who only works during the summer i want to lift the jeep but mainly on a budget. i found the rubicon express 2.5 in lift which is what i was originally going to get. but then i found a 3.5 in lift that was just a little bit more expensive and i love the look of it. but what i am having trouble finding is what all i need to modify to accompany for the extra inch. i’ve heard that drive shafts and such need increased. but i want to really hear some peoples personal experiences before i pull the trigger on that 3.5 in lift. i don’t have a whole lot of wiggle room when it comes to money so if i need to i will settle for the 2.5 in but i really want the 3.5😂 please help i also saw that the weight of the bumpers effect lift height so i don’t know of that will help me at all but here are some pics of the jeep for reference. thank y’all so much

Last edited:
Reactions: vaffanculo
I have the mindset of save your money and buy it once. Instead of getting it done and then replacing it later, wasting money in the process. I have a 3.5” metalcloak gamechanger on my 14 jku and think it is perfect, tall enough to clear obstacles but low enough to not be tippy in off camber or pitch situations. They account for weight of a modded Jeep with steel bumpers winch etc and you get an actual lift of what they advertise or a little more. I have had other lifts and they sag under the weight.

I have the mindset of save your money and buy it once. Instead of getting it done and then replacing it later, wasting money in the process. I have a 3.5” metalcloak gamechanger on my 14 jku and think it is perfect, tall enough to clear obstacles but low enough to not be tippy in off camber or pitch situations. They account for weight of a modded Jeep with steel bumpers winch etc and you get an actual lift of what they advertise or a little more. I have had other lifts and they sag under the weight.
okay this is actually really helpful. but will i need to modify anything else like the brake lines, drive shaft, etc.?

If you buy the full kit, it will come with everything you need with the exception of the front drive shaft or exhaust spacers.
the only problem with that kit is i don’t have 2700$ laying around lol. i only work during the summers since i’m a full time college student. the kit that i’m looking at has

• (4) Premium N3 Series Shocks
  • (2) Front Lifted Coil Springs
  • (2) Rear Lifted Coil Springs
  • Control Arm Drop Brackets
  • Front Track Bar Drop Bracket
  • Rear Track Bar Drop Bracket
  • Pitman Arm
  • Rear Extended Sway-bar Links
  • Brake Line Relocation Brackets
  • Installation Hardware
by rough country

I get it, how much is the rough country kit? Why I said save and buy once 😄

I would not do a rear track bar drop bracket especially on lower lifts, under load or compression they tend to hit the shock body. Better to raise the axle side than drop the upper. Rough country used to have bushing problems wearing out quickly, don’t know about these days.

But I see in this case you use your factory control arms and brackets to correct geometry. Problem with that is every Jeep is different which is why adjustable control arms are the way to go.

I had the same issue. For me 1” extra and the four wheeling I do just wasn’t worth the extra money. I decided the AEV 2.5”, the rear netted 3” and the front 3.5” of lift. Of course it may settle over time. It seemed like a good spot for the cost, will accommodate 35” tires if I desire. For basis it is a JKU HR Rubi. The way I see this setup is much more capable then the 87 YJ I had which ran the Rubicon trail 3 times, which was my basis of comparison for the type of 4 wheeling I do. I think on other thing you may need with the kit that Jermbob28 mentioned is you might need wheel spacers or make sure your wheels have the correct backspacing. Also has Jermbob28 said raise the rear track bar. The AEV kit came with a track bar tower do to just that. Hope this helps, I know its a tough decision and we all just have to make what works for us.

I had the same issue. For me 1” extra and the four wheeling I do just wasn’t worth the extra money. I decided the AEV 2.5”, the rear netted 3” and the front 3.5” of lift. Of course it may settle over time. It seemed like a good spot for the cost, will accommodate 35” tires if I desire. For basis it is a JKU HR Rubi. The way I see this setup is much more capable then the 87 YJ I had which ran the Rubicon trail 3 times, which was my basis of comparison for the type of 4 wheeling I do. I think on other thing you may need with the kit that Jermbob28 mentioned is you might need wheel spacers or make sure your wheels have the correct backspacing. Also has Jermbob28 said raise the rear track bar. The AEV kit came with a track bar tower do to just that. Hope this helps, I know its a tough decision and we all just have to make what works for us.
What did your kit cost?

What did your kit cost?
Lift was $1100, geometry correction brackets were $110 or something like that. Then shipping and tax. I could have ordered through a vendor and had free shipping but they listed “out of stock” no time frame. Getting directly from AEV it shipped next day. Plus there were responsive to any questions I had.

Lift was $1100, geometry correction brackets were $110 or something like that. Then shipping and tax. I could have ordered through a vendor and had free shipping but they listed “out of stock” no time frame. Getting directly from AEV it shipped next day. Plus there were responsive to any questions I had.
Can you link it please?

Can you link it please?
Here you. - https://www.aev-conversions.com/product/jk-dualsport-xt-suspension-2-5/

The geometry correction brackets are sold separately and are not required for the 2.5” per AEV. They do recommend them, so far I am not seeing a reason for them, so they are sitting in the garage.

050CB3AF-6B2B-4727-A427-A84273E1A718.png

Here you. - https://www.aev-conversions.com/product/jk-dualsport-xt-suspension-2-5/

The geometry correction brackets are sold separately and are not required for the 2.5” per AEV. They do recommend them, so far I am not seeing a reason for them, so they are sitting in the garage.

View attachment 120799
just for reference. what would the difference between yours and this one be?

From what i've heard about Rough Country lifts you won't be happy with it.

Clayton Offroad is a Forum Sponsor check with them. https://www.claytonoffroad.com/products/vehicle/jk-wrangler-07-18

If you go with a 2.5" lift you won't have to spend so much, you won't need the adjustable control arms.

If you find your having issues with the tires hitting the fenders you can get flat top fenders.

From what i've heard about Rough Country lifts you won't be happy with it.

Clayton Offroad is a Forum Sponsor check with them. https://www.claytonoffroad.com/products/vehicle/jk-wrangler-07-18

If you go with a 2.5" lift you won't have to spend so much, you won't need the adjustable control arms.

If you find your having issues with the tires hitting the fenders you can get flat top fenders.
have you heard anything about the rubicon express lift kits? because that was the 2.5 in lift i was looking at