Is this used 2010 Jeep Wrangler Sahara a good purchase?

parkerdaley

2010 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, $19,700, ~60,000 miles, 3.8L V-6 cyl, 4WD

Hi,

This will be my first time purchasing a Jeep, and I'm wondering if this used car seems like a safe/reliable purchase?
https://www.century-cars.com/used/Jeep/2010-Jeep-Wrangler-eee1f4300a0e0a173379ae54a6ee90f2.htm
0454fe15a31991e4ed7f37f42003bbcax.jpg

It has low mileage and is in extremely good condition externally, but I have had it inspected by a mechanic who found a few potential internal issues. I'm wondering if these things are common with Jeeps, how problematic they will be in the future (even after being fixed), and if they make the car unsafe/unreliable in general:

https://documentcloud.adobe.com/lin...:scds:US:78ddef8a-6614-4c63-aed5-78f47e4800d4

Items on the report circled as potential issues:
- "steering: outer/left/right/idler/center link"
- "suspension: ball joint, upper/lower/left/right"
- "differential: dirty"

Here is the CarFax history report: https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=dlr_3&vin=1j4aa5d18al125419

Thank you in advance for any input!! I'm super excited to purchase a Jeep and this seems like a great option based on my research, but I don't want to miss any red flags since I'm not as knowledgeable about these cars.

Attachments

• Jeep inspection.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 279
Last edited:
I thought the price was a little steep, but the mileage is ridiculously low for an 11-model year old vehicle. However, even with the low mileage, the fact your mechanic found a suspension and steering link issue tells me the PO might have tried his/her off-road skills and got in over their head.
Take it for another test drive, get it up to speed and try some steering maneuvers, slowly crawl over a couple curbs or rocks and see how she reacts. Steering link and suspension issues at 60k miles is a little suspect, but not a deal breaker if the right person corrects the issues.

Reactions: mrjp
I thought the price was a little steep, but the mileage is ridiculously low for an 11-model year old vehicle. However, even with the low mileage, the fact your mechanic found a suspension and steering link issue tells me the PO might have tried his/her off-road skills and got in over their head.
Take it for another test drive, get it up to speed and try some steering maneuvers, slowly crawl over a couple curbs or rocks and see how she reacts. Steering link and suspension issues at 60k miles is a little suspect, but not a deal breaker if the right person corrects the issues.
X2 to this.

That is really high price for a 2010 low miles and all. Red flags on that inspection sheet that imply is was not an easy 60k. Not sure what weak horn means either.

How much do you trust the mechanic? And do you plan on lifting bigger tires etc? To fix the problems listed will bump up the price immediately. You won't be able to drive it long like that.

Also, what is going on with the hood there? looks not closed.

Love the color though.

Reactions: Anybodyhome
I think the price is a bit on the high side but it’s clean looking rig check it over for rust the mechanical report don’t look bad normal maintenance stuff the steering items may be a CYA by the inspector but check it out good

Looking at the carfax it does show it had 6 previous owners. That in itself is not a bad thing, however, you may want to look at the length of ownership to see if it was handed off quickly for the last few owners. The other thing to keep in mind is that being a Sahara pushes the price up slightly, not as much as Rubicon but still a bit of an increase over a Sport. With all that said, it is difficult to find a clean Jeep JK, that has not been modded, and low miles in any model year. KBB.com has the price range from $16,500 to $19,800, what they are asking is at the top of the range, there should be room to negotiate.

6 owners would scar me (as previously said if they were quick turn overs) and from the mechanic inspection there is a bit of pain to pay to square those issues. I think prices are moving up though in general. When I started looking several months before I bought, Inventory was disappearing quickly and what was left and new to the market was more expensive. My 2010 hardtop Sport, manual was a bit less than what your looking at. I'm 3rd owner at 46k miles. I'll have to put out a few hundred $$ of DIY stuff to get it mechanically where I want but it's an 11 year old car. Once the right one comes your going to have to jump and be prepared to pay a bit more I'm afraid

6 owners would scar me (as previously said if they were quick turn overs) and from the mechanic inspection there is a bit of pain to pay to square those issues. I think prices are moving up though in general. When I started looking several months before I bought, Inventory was disappearing quickly and what was left and new to the market was more expensive. My 2010 hardtop Sport, manual was a bit less than what your looking at. I'm 3rd owner at 46k miles. I'll have to put out a few hundred $$ of DIY stuff to get it mechanically where I want but it's an 11 year old car. Once the right one comes your going to have to jump and be prepared to pay a bit more I'm afraid
I agree that 6 owners is a red flag, if you decide to buy this, id try to get them to throw in a warranty. I have a couple of friends that sold Later model jeeps that had mystery problems that no one was able to locate. Leaving them along side the road, then it gets to the dealership and everything is fine. Can't find any problems. Two weeks later, same issue.

2010 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, $19,700, ~60,000 miles, 3.8L V-6 cyl, 4WD

Hi,

This will be my first time purchasing a Jeep, and I'm wondering if this used car seems like a safe/reliable purchase?
https://www.century-cars.com/used/Jeep/2010-Jeep-Wrangler-eee1f4300a0e0a173379ae54a6ee90f2.htm
View attachment 117740

It has low mileage and is in extremely good condition externally, but I have had it inspected by a mechanic who found a few potential internal issues. I'm wondering if these things are common with Jeeps, how problematic they will be in the future (even after being fixed), and if they make the car unsafe/unreliable in general:

https://documentcloud.adobe.com/lin...:scds:US:78ddef8a-6614-4c63-aed5-78f47e4800d4

Items on the report circled as potential issues:
- "steering: outer/left/right/idler/center link"
- "suspension: ball joint, upper/lower/left/right"
- "differential: dirty"

Here is the CarFax history report: https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=dlr_3&vin=1j4aa5d18al125419

Thank you in advance for any input!! I'm super excited to purchase a Jeep and this seems like a great option based on my research, but I don't want to miss any red flags since I'm not as knowledgeable about these cars.
I think so. I think un-lifted wranglers present the least likely to have issues after the sale. Take it to a local shop and pay them to look it over.