General 4WD Driving Question with automatic tranny

Danarch

JK Addict
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
I’ve always wheeled in a manual, currently have the 6sp. My wife and son each have a auto. The son has the 3.8 with auto, which has D, 1, and 2. It actually has 4.10‘s in it. While he is learning I am thinking the jeep should get better traction then it is with minor rock crawling. Then it hit me one day, when rock crawling should he put in 1 or 2 instead of D? Also if he puts it in 1 or 2 will it shift if he hits too high of an RPM? I know sounds like a basic question, but I am used to manuals.

Reactions: mrjp and Dirty Dog
I’ve always wheeled in a manual, currently have the 6sp. My wife and son each have a auto. The son has the 3.8 with auto, which has D, 1, and 2. It actually has 4.10‘s in it. While he is learning I am thinking the jeep should get better traction then it is with minor rock crawling. Then it hit me one day, when rock crawling should he put in 1 or 2 instead of D? Also if he puts it in 1 or 2 will it shift if he hits too high of an RPM? I know sounds like a basic question, but I am used to manuals.

If it's put in 1st will it stay in first no matter what speed/rpm your going and not still shift into 2nd? If it stays in 1st then you can pretend like it's a manual trans.

I know my Dodge diesel trans will stay in 1st and 2nd until I move the shifter. When I move it to 3rd it will then automatically shift into OD and LU.

I have always treated an auto like a manual off-highway. Put it in 1st or 2nd and it will stay there until you chance it. If you're in first and do not upshift, you will hit the rev limiter, which will keep your RPM from going any higher.

Reactions: Danarch
Same as @Dirty Dog. I used it as a manual when off-roading.

Thank you everyone for the input. On 2097 auto I think the only two options are 1 and 2, I don’t think there is an option to “tap” shift to higher gears. I think my wife’s 2015 she can tap the shifter and go through all the gears. Thank you again everyone.

If you are going slow during rock crawling the automatic transmission is going to be in 1st gear anyway. Going into 1 is no different as far as traction is concerned, it's the same gear.

Whenever I go off road . I always put in 2nd and disengage overdrive.
I will drop into 1st if going over obstacles or up a steep hill.
The trans reaction sometimes can be a little slow and if
going up a super steep hill I can react faster than trans .
A pedal commander might help this . It's on the list .
I read keeping out of drive and disengaging OD helps
keep the trans cooler as well.
A really helpful addition to the auto is a trans cooler .
Once got a trans fluid hot warning while going up a steep
incline . Well climbing a mountain . Never again after
trans cooler .
I have stock gears . 2008 Sahara. Read 3.73 is stock in that
configuration .
If taller gears that may change things a bit .

Thank you everyone for the input. On 2097 auto I think the only two options are 1 and 2, I don’t think there is an option to “tap” shift to higher gears. I think my wife’s 2015 she can tap the shifter and go through all the gears. Thank you again everyone.
You can manually shift any automatic transmission. It's not a slap shifter, so you do have to pay attention to what you're doing.

Please remember an auto transmission is designed to upshift. I have seen many a newbie unnecessarily fighting a downhill run using/burning brakes while leaving the shiter in D. Use the shifter offroad to control ascents and descents.

Reactions: Danarch and SteveF
Please remember an auto transmission is designed to upshift. I have seen many a newbie unnecessarily fighting a downhill run using/burning brakes while leaving the shiter in D. Use the shifter offroad to control ascents and descents.
Absolutely . Always use 4 Low for hill descents . It def saves brakes and gives more control on loose gravel than braking would

Welcome to the forum