Chirp Sound While Driving

RubiconJKHR

Hey everyone,
I’m hoping to tap into the vast wealth of expertise on this forum.
I have a chirping noise that occurs when I’m driving only. To me it sounds like it could be a wheel bearing but I’m not really sure and I’m certainly not an expert. Every time it makes the chirping sound it feels like the Jeep wants to pull a little to the drivers side, and I think that is the corner the noise is coming from. But it’s hard to pinpoint while driving. I’ve attached two videos of the sound.
I’d love to hear anyone’s opinions on what they think the issue is!
Thanks

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    3.2 MB
  • FullSizeRender.mov
    3 MB
You're going to find that many here (including me) will not be willing to download your videos. Because downloading unknown data from a random person on a forum is not real smart. You'll want to put your videos on YouTube or something similar and link them in your post so we can view them without downloading.

On the other hand, it's pretty easy to check your wheel bearings.

You're going to find that many here (including me) will not be willing to download your videos. Because downloading unknown data from a random person on a forum is not real smart. You'll want to put your videos on YouTube or something similar and link them in your post so we can view them without downloading.

On the other hand, it's pretty easy to check your wheel bearings.
Oh sorry, I wasn’t aware that it forces you to download. I thought it opens the link in a new browser window.
I will check out the ChrisFix video. Thanks for the info!

Reactions: Speartip
Oh sorry, I wasn’t aware that it forces you to download. I thought it opens the link in a new browser window.
In order for there to be a link, the file would need to be on a server that we can access. You could, I suppose, allow us to access your computer, but you might find that you lack the bandwidth to support an internet server. Not to mention the security risk you'd be facing. I mean, having access to your computer couldn't possibly allow me to do anything nefarious, could it? :)

Yes, I definitely did today. Not sure if I did on other occasions, but most likely.

That could be a def thing
My new blower motor chirped once in awhile when new .
It hasn’t done in awhile so think it’s all good now .
Good call @JeepJeezy.
On a side of it does turn out to be wheel bearings .
I just did mine . Both sides .
It’s not a tough project
Just a bit time consuming .
Well I did brakes same time .
If your brakes are good should only take a couple hours to do both sides
Cause If one is gone it would be good practice to replace both .
If you look at my build page there are some tips and pics

That could be a def thing
My new blower motor chirped once in awhile when new .
It hasn’t done in awhile so think it’s all good now .
Good call @JeepJeezy.
On a side of it does turn out to be wheel bearings .
I just did mine . Both sides .
It’s not a tough project
Just a bit time consuming .
Well I did brakes same time .
If your brakes are good should only take a couple hours to do both sides
Cause If one is gone it would be good practice to replace both .
If you look at my build page there are some tips and pics
Yeah, I’ve watched a few videos on how to replace the wheel bearing and it doesn’t look too bad. My biggest concern is getting the 12 point bolts out. But I’m sure it can be done. Good point about both sides, I hadn’t thought of that.

Reactions: Dirty Dog
Would I hear that sound coming from outside of the Jeep? I’m fairly certain the noise is coming from outside.
The blower chirp kinda does sound like it could be outside noise though. I can hear mine with the windows open. If you hear the noise while the blower motor is on, quick crank it to full blast and see if the noise changes. If the chirp happens when the blower is off, then it's definitely not the blower motor. @Speartip definitely good advice on wheel bearings!

The blower chirp kinda does sound like it could be outside noise though. I can hear mine with the windows open. If you hear the noise while the blower motor is on, quick crank it to full blast and see if the noise changes. If the chirp happens when the blower is off, then it's definitely not the blower motor. @Speartip definitely good advice on wheel bearings!

I found when my blower motor was chirping some of the sound cane from the vents . Could tell main source of noise wax coming from passenger area . Not from outside .

Most def drive the vehicle with the blower motor off for a couple days and see if your still getting chirping noise

I found when my blower motor was chirping some of the sound cane from the vents . Could tell main source of noise wax coming from passenger area . Not from outside .

Most def drive the vehicle with the blower motor off for a couple days and see if your still getting chirping noise
I’ll definitely try that, thanks!
Perhaps it is the blower motor because from what I’ve seen, a bad wheel bearing makes a constant noise while driving, while my noise is only intermittent while driving.

FWIW, it simply played in a new browser window on my phone and didn't download. 👍

I had a chirp noise that sounded just like your. It was intermittent and coming from the rear. So I took off the brake pads, cleaned and lubricated the brake clips, reassembled, and the noise was gone.

However- now and again at random, but almost every first drive of the day ONLY on cold mornings, I get the angry birds chirp. Its probably my front aftermarket drive shaft. I need to disconnect and check it. And I know my steering ujoints are good since I recently installed ball joints and checked the u's. But I hear it right under my feet. Warm weather now and I only heard it once since we've had 70 degree plus temps.

F&ckin detective work is a must with Jeep ownership 🫣

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:

So after driving with and without the blower motor on for a while, the noise seems to be connected. When the fan setting is off, there isn’t any chirping. But when the fan is set to on, it does make a chirp sounds ever so often.
But the noise definitely comes from the outside, and is much more noticeable with the windows down. So I’m really not sure what to make of that. 🤔