"A Jeep Rescue" Home for troubled Jeeps is at it again with another engine swap!

RangerRick

I am now onto another engine swap over on sister website wrangleryjforum.com for anyone wishing to follow

"A Jeep Rescue" The home for troubled Jeeps is at it again. This time we are swapping a Cummins 3.9L 4BT engine and 5-speed transmission into a CJ-7. Come watch our progress over on the sister forum for YJ Wranglers if you would!

Thanks for looking!

Link to the new thread: https://wrangleryjforum.com/threads/the-diesel-jeep-build.27564/

Also an update:

BOTH V8 TJ's have changed hands again and I got several questions from new owners.

The V8 runner is now on it's 3nd owner after me and the project parts V8 swap jeep is on it's 2nd owner.

Not because of the V8 but because of life-changes in the owners lives.

They live on.......

RR

Nothing better then a Cummins in anything other then a Dodge, i'm looking for a 4bt myself do do another Cummins swap.

I'll be watching. Is your zf5-42 the gas or diesel trans, I used the Diesel trans in my Fummins behind a 12v and best trans out there.

Or are you using the smallblock zf5?

Reactions: RangerRick
We currently have two Jeeps:
1 is a JKUR, the other is a CJ-7. We will be working on both in the coming months and post up for those who would like to follow.

I will also post pictures of the JKUR we have when I do the lift kit, wheels and tires. I will also show the mods on our JKUR that we are doing as a build thread when I get to it as well.

Will be installing an RK 2.5/3.5 full suspension kit.
Will be installing 35" tires with 17x9 wheels.
Will be using wheel adapters to go to 5x5.5 lug pattern.
Will show mods made to the Smittybuilt tire carrier for the bigger tire & new 5x5.5 lug pattern wheel.
Will show how to use the AEV programmer to re-program wheel size in the ECM and what that Entails.
Will be installing weld-on frame rock sliders to better protect body over the Rubicon factory sliders.
Will be installing the rock lights.
Will be doing new R & P ratios to 5.xx gearing.
Will be up-armoring diffs and steering on the JKUR.
And more..... I'm sure lots more......

It's time, either I upgrade the JKUR now or I trade it in on a new Diesel JLUR or HEMI JLUR......

RR

Still on schedule for the upgrades to our JKUR, just busy with life and the Diesel Jeep build over on sister site for YJ's.

I will also be having the clearcoat paint repaired on the windshield frame and hood that has become "chalky" looking.

RR

Reactions: mrjp
Things are changing we may sell the JKUR so anyone interested in So. CA for a JKUR she is for sale.

2009 JK Unlimited Rubicon Edition.
Black on Black
Two tone slate grey on black interior
Dual tops HT & soft top
Nav stereo w/subwoofer
Tow receiver
Smittybuilt F & R bumpers with tire swing out
121K miles
3.8L V6 Automatic
BFG all terrains
Factory alloy 17" rims
$19,500

If buyer pays asking price I will throw in the following:

Full RK 2.5/3.5" lift kit with shocks and all parts. This is the full kit that retails about $2,100.
It has never been installed and is new in the packages.

What it needs:
Hood and windshield paint clearcoat
Drivers side electric door lock and rear passenger door electric door lock cleaned or replaced as they stick and don't reliably work.

Everything else is in great shape, she has been dealer maintained and has had all recalls done.

Comes with the factory lifetime front brake caliper warranty paperwork.

I can send pictures to seriously interested parties. It is the Jeep in the photo with the towers on my profile.

Thanks for looking and reading!

• Sad
Update:

Ended up selling our JKUR a year ago. One reason for no updates and not much posts lately.

I am full swing building the CJ-7 Cummins turbo diesel jeep. It already has upgraded axles under it from when I had the Vortec Gen III V8 in it. Enjoyable ride that regularly saw 20+ MPG fuel economy with better than 300 Hp.

However, the other day I saw a 2011 JKUR with the upgraded Gen-2 interior, ( much improved cosmetics). It had the color matched top and was lifted with the ORO high end crossover lift kit and on 38" tires.

The test drive was interesting because this wasn't your average JKUR. It was packing the 6.4L 392 Hemi and it's automatic transmission.

Wow was it like night and day compared to our past V6 JKUR! Why Jeep didn't offer even the basic 5.7L Hemi V8 as a factory option in the JK is beyond me to this day.

One word:
Fun!

RR

Nothing better then a Cummins in anything other then a Dodge, i'm looking for a 4bt myself do do another Cummins swap.

I'll be watching. Is your zf5-42 the gas or diesel trans, I used the Diesel trans in my Fummins behind a 12v and best trans out there.

Or are you using the smallblock zf5?
Sorry it took so long to answer you on this @BLACKJKU but yes I am using the ZF s5-42 transmission.

It is the small block wide ratio gasser variant. I yanked it out of a 1994 Ford Bronco that was equipped with the EFI 4.9L 300 Cu. In. straight-6 motor. It was the bargain basement bottom trim XL, an ex USFS green ranger vehicle. Steel wheels, dog-dish hubcaps and non tinted manual hand crank windows. Bench front seat & rubber floor too. Oddly enough, it did have electric door locks and cruise control. The only options apparently. It had an 8.8 rear axle and whatever twin I-Beam semi IFS Ford used those years.

The new owner was converting it to a rock crawler on 1-Ton F350 axles and a 351W automatic from a parts F350 he had in his yard.

If it turns out the power band doesn't match as well as the diesel variant of this transmission, I will rebuild the interior guts with the diesel variant. However, I think it will be fine and for added bonus the gasser has a really nice deep crawler 1st gear vs. the diesel variant. I wouldn't have had to have the JB conversions 4:1 in the D300 but since it's in there already, I am not removing it now.

I will have almost exactly a 94:1 1st gear, low range crawl ratio with the 4.10 gears in the axles. Perfect for the Rubicon Trail, Fordyce and the Dusy-Ershim trails I frequently crawl. In fact, many times I will start out in 2nd or 3rd gear with the ratios at my disposal now.

The SAE to Ford bellhousing adapter on the 4BT is made for the small block bolt pattern so I can't connect the diesel variant to the Cummins directly.

I am not going with a dual mass flywheel so I won't have to worry about it exploding and causing damage to the ZF integral bellhousing. Something that does happen on the big block dual mass version occasionally.

I already have received the AA adapter kit for the D300 transfer case so it can mount to the ZF transmission. it is a 9925 I believe, same as for the C6 automatic transmission.

I have also received the motor mounts and in the coming weeks will start test fitting the entire drivetrain in the CJ. Everything has been cleared out to make room and take measurements. There is a 1" poly performance body lift on the CJ already so I shouldn't have to do any mods to the tub pinch seam at the firewall to fit this package. I decided to make life easier for me and order the Farmstrong Jeep CJ-7/8 mounts instead of engineering my own.

All clutch parts will be stock Ford. No custom anything in case I break down in the middle of nowhere I can go to any parts house or Ford dealer and get parts to fit. Straight forward conversion so nothing that is one-off anywhere on my rig except some steering and components used in the D44 I have up front. Everything else is parts that are common to production vehicles that are in junkyards or dealers will have the parts.

About the only thing I will have to do is custom bend the shifter lever for better dash clearance. The known thing about these conversions with the ZF is the relatively short distance from the bellhousing to the shift tower. Ford had the shifter close to the firewall in their trucks those years.

Again, I learned my lesson about custom axle shafts, bits & bobs. What happens when you break a part that is custom and have to contact the shop that did the work to get a replacement. NOT GOING THAT ROUTE EVER AGAIN.

If there weren't smog in CA on 1998 and up diesels, I would have considered another 4BT in our JKUR using the Allison 1000 6-speed transmission instead that was behind the Isuzu/GM Duramax 6.6L like what I had in my old Sierra crew cab long bed 2500HD. Great transmission that would perform marvelously behind the Cummins. Possibly the later ISB electronically controlled 16 valve version for more refinement in the later JK vehicle.

RR

I sold one of those transmissions about 6 years ago to a guy that put it behind a 4bt, I think he used a adapter from a bread truck that had the 4bt.

Keep us informed on this.

Reactions: RangerRick
Can't really use any transmission that came stock in a Jeep because they are all too weak or if from an early CJ and strong enough, don't have any O.D. capability which is a real problem for any street driven Jeep.

I will keep you all up to date.

BTW, I am putting together the build on the sister forum https://wrangleryjforum.net if you care to check it out. Will be dropping more photos on it in the future when I get the time to edit.

RR

Reactions: mrjp and BLACKJKU