2017 Rubicon 2-door has sloppy steering and feels like fishtailing

You probably have resolved your issue, but thought I’d share my experiences. Bought a used 2017 JKU. It has a lift of approx 4” with 35” tires. Driving was a little like playing Russian Roulette. Swaying badly at high speeds, taking corners at higher speeds were nail biting events, and I had pops and groans at slow speeds. Steering input was constant. Here’s what was done to resolve my issues…

1. Ball joints and tie rods replaced and aligned. Helped some, but not completely.

2. Trailing arms for front were installed. They enabled a better alignment, but I still wasn’t happy with the results.

3. Drag link was terrible. Got an expensive one ($300) from Metalcloak. It was adjustable, and well worth the money. Installed it and the drive was way worse. Adjusted it a bit (takes 2 minutes) and it was a HUGE difference. Much better. Had it realigned for good measure.

4. Lastly, I put new rear sway bar end links on. The old one was rusted and the boots were completely rotted. It didn’t make a difference in driving quality, but the drag link had already improved the ride 100%.

5. Another thing I learned, and you should remember this when you increase tire size, is that the computer thinks you have 32” tires. When sizing up, you need to recalibrate the computer. Mine had not been and my transmission was taking a beating and my speedometer was 7-8 mph off. I bought a dongle and an app (total of $60) and recalibrated myself. Instantly fixed my shifting issues.

I was told by 3 mechanics that “it’s just a Jeep thing.” Whenever I hear that, I realize I’m talking to an idiot.
The used car dealer had replaced
Ball joints
Tie rod ends
Drag link

I took it back last week for power door lock after the part came in. They checked the alignment and looked it over at the 4x4 shop next door. Their mechanic said the ball joints need to wear in. That was contrary to what I had read here from others. Maybe it will get better.

Still scary to drive at 60 to 65 mph. I believe the rubicons come stock with 33" tires, which is what I have. The speedometer seems to be accurate.

Not giving up on finding out what it is. Will be taking a closer look this weekend. If it is a Jeep thing driving like this, they shouldn't be street legal.

when I first bought my JKU I stopped at an alignment shop that would always have Jeeps parked outside. When the owner told me, "they're Jeeps on big tires. It's always going to be a little weird on the highway" (paraphrasing) but I KNEW then and there NOT to have him do my alignment. 👍👍

EDIT: happy to report that it drives very solid and confidently at 70, even 80 MPH. And it was't that shop that got me set right.

Interesting read . I agree with all the members regarding issues your having with the Jeep .
It seems to me you have two problems . Steering & loose rear end. Doesn’t matter what type of vehicle your driving. It should track straight at Hwy speeds.
For sure shorter wheel base vehicles will be blown around more than longer wheel base if cross winds are present etc. But if on relatively smooth road , minimal wind , Hwy speeds should not be a white knuckle adventure .
Anyone that tells you , oh it’s a Jeep thing , is full of it .
Personal experience in my 4 door JKU Sahara.
Tracks straight , feels stable . No dead centre on steering wheel. That’s just a fact.
As components wear play will increase in steering . I’ve replaced tie rod, drag link, track bar & wheel bearings .
It eliminated a bit of wobble that started to occur . With each replacement tightened up the ride .
There is no such thing as “ball joint needs to break in”.
As another member said BS.
Replacing ball joints tightens up ride .
1. Fishtailing . It sounds like something loose in rear end .
Jeep uses undersized fully threaded bolts for control arms & track bar. The threaded bolt acts like a file and wears out control arm bushings & can oval out mounting points . I suspect rear control arms bushings and or track bar are worn causing the rear to sway or be loose . Def inspect and you will probably find bushings are worn or mounting points ovaled out . Replace with 9/16 grade 8 shouldered bolts .
The same could be happening up front.
2. Two inch play in steering . Def inspect TB and control arm bushings and replace with 9/16 shouldered bolts . Replace wheel bearings
If still sloppy steering look at replacing steering box .
Not crazy expensive if doing yourself . It just takes a bit of time .
There are millions of 2 door Jeep’s on the road Can tell you for sure they all don’t white knuckle driving down the Hwy.Something is mechanically wrong with your Jeep.
After steering components are replaced take to reputable shop and get alignment

Reactions: Duster and BLACKJKU