2016 Jeep Wrangler JK won’t start and has a "hot oil" message on dash

Jayydav

Hello, I have a 2016 Jeep Wrangler JK. Recently, it had started to not crank on first try. Now, it’s taking several tries before it actually cranks. The radio, A/c still comes on. Everything works, but it doesn’t start. It doesn’t click or act like it wants to start. It does nothing when the key is turned, besides turn the radio/ac on. Yesterday, I noticed “HOT OIL” come up on the dash. I checked oil level. It was fine. Temperature outside have been in the 90-100’s. I doubt that has anything to do with it.

Anything that changed electrically recently? Dead battery, near dead battery; anytime you needed to disconnect battery to do something else under the hood?
I'm not guessing it's the starter at all as much as an ECU issue. I'm assuming you haven't checked for any codes it's throwing?

Reactions: Danarch
Anything that changed electrically recently? Dead battery, near dead battery; anytime you needed to disconnect battery to do something else under the hood?
I'm not guessing it's the starter at all as much as an ECU issue. I'm assuming you haven't checked for any codes it's throwing?
I haven’t disconnected anything or changed anything. Not throwing any codes. Had battery checked. It was good. It only says “Hot Oil” when it’s failing to crank. Once it’s running, there’s no message.

When was the last time the battery clamps and grounds were cleaned? Did you get the battery tested to make sure it's good, a weak battery can cause problems.

Reactions: BigAL07
Hello, I have a 2016 Jeep Wrangler JK. Recently, it had started to not crank on first try. Now, it’s taking several tries before it actually cranks. The radio, A/c still comes on. Everything works, but it doesn’t start. It doesn’t click or act like it wants to start. It does nothing when the key is turned, besides turn the radio/ac on. Yesterday, I noticed “HOT OIL” come up on the dash. I checked oil level. It was fine. Temperature outside have been in the 90-100’s. I doubt that has anything to do with it.

1D1E62B4-CB9E-44F5-AC2C-ED80DF781CDB.jpeg

Have you tried putting it neutral to see if it will start? Or wiggle the shifter back and forth in Park while trying to start it?

Did you try starting it at the starter by jumping the battery post to the small terminal on the starter solenoid?

I just searched and the Hot oil light has to do with your transmission. Have you checked the fluid level lately, does it look dirty or smell burn't.

The neutral start switch is located inside the transmission on the Jeeps and it could be the problem with the starter not working properly if the other things don't work that I suggested.

My advise would take it to a transmission shop and not a Dealer to have the transmission check out if everything else checks out ok.

I just searched and the Hot oil light has to do with your transmission. Have you checked the fluid level lately, does it look dirty or smell burn't.

The neutral start switch is located inside the transmission on the Jeeps and it could be the problem with the starter not working properly if the other things don't work that I suggested.

My advise would take it to a transmission shop and not a Dealer to have the transmission check out if everything else checks out ok.
when I got my oil changed, I had them check the transmission fluid. Said it looked brand new.

May not be your issue but someone else might have issue that I recently had. 2008 JK with 119,000 pushing 120K. Turn key nothing, try again harder and hold and would start. My problem was the ignition switch, I replaced it with the OEM Mopar for $65. Well this fixed my issue, been starting without issue for a week now. Easy swap out and some say that is normal wear out for Jk with 120,000.

May not be your issue but someone else might have issue that I recently had. 2008 JK with 119,000 pushing 120K. Turn key nothing, try again harder and hold and would start. My problem was the ignition switch, I replaced it with the OEM Mopar for $65. Well this fixed my issue, been starting without issue for a week now. Easy swap out and some say that is normal wear out for Jk with 120,000.
Did you also get the Hot Oil warning with the ignition problem?

I am having the same issue.

2016, V6, Automatic Transmission, 70k miles.

Turn key, hesitate start.

Once start, HOT OIL indication.

Check Engine light

Traction indicator light on dash comes on.

Constant audible Dinging chime.

Place into gear, transmission slams into gear.

Once driving, fails to switch gears.

Turn jeep on and a number of times, eventually it corrects it's self and the Gremlin goes into hiding for 4 months, then pops out to play games again.

Took to Dealership, they pulled battery, and said they fixed it, with out touching a thing, other than my wallet!

I am having the same issue.

2016, V6, Automatic Transmission, 70k miles.

Turn key, hesitate start.

Once start, HOT OIL indication.

Check Engine light

Traction indicator light on dash comes on.

Constant audible Dinging chime.

Place into gear, transmission slams into gear.

Once driving, fails to switch gears.

Turn jeep on and a number of times, eventually it corrects it's self and the Gremlin goes into hiding for 4 months, then pops out to play games again.

Took to Dealership, they pulled battery, and said they fixed it, with out touching a thing, other than my wallet!

Bad connections, weak battery, junk Factory battery clamps will cause alot of electrical issues.

Reactions: Danarch
I have a 2016 Jeep wrangler with only 30,000 miles on it and I just had to put a new transmission in it and now it’s saying hot oil on the dash when I tried to start it and it had been sitting for over 2 hours and wouldn’t start only thing that worked was to turn the switch on put it in neutral turned the switch again and it started does anyone know what that means…