Will a small lift affect my towing capacity?

Rachel71

Supporting Member
I recently had a post up regarding towing a teardrop trailer that I have purchased a 2022 Sunset Park Sun-ray Sport. From everybody’s replies I feel confident that my stock 2010 2 dr Rubicon will be able to tow it no problem, my question is if I do a small lift will this affect my towing capabilities, correct me if I am wrong my Stock 2010 2 dr Rubicon with the manual transmission comes with 31 inch tire and wheels, I would be looking to go up to a 33inch , if I do this will this affect my towing and will I be able to still tow my new teardrop trailer with 33inch wheels and tires thanks Rachel

As long as you don't do over a 2.5" lift you can get a lift cheaper, over 2.5 and you'll need alot more pieces to make it safe to drive.

You should be ok with towing with a lift under 2.5".

Reactions: Danarch and BigAL07
As long as you don't do over a 2.5" lift you can get a lift cheaper, over 2.5 and you'll need alot more pieces to make it safe to drive.

You should be ok with towing with a lift under 2.5".
So what lift do you recommend for me to run 33’s, a friend told me to do a 2inch and a 3 inch spacer lift, but if I go this route then I will be over 2.5 inch lift, please advise

What size tires you have on it now? 33" are probably only about a 1 - 2" taller then you probably have now.

Post a side picture of your JK.

What other needs do you have regarding off roading? Yes spacers are cheaper, but don’t have the same benefits as a suspension lift. It is basically just as much work to install the spacers as a suspension lift, not exactly but close. My wife had 33” on hers without a lift and did not have a vertical clearance issue. Her tires would rub the anti-sway bar and hard turns which was an easy fix.

What other needs do you have regarding off roading? Yes spacers are cheaper, but don’t have the same benefits as a suspension lift. It is basically just as much work to install the spacers as a suspension lift, not exactly but close. My wife had 33” on hers without a lift and did not have a vertical clearance issue. Her tires would rub the anti-sway bar and hard turns which was an easy fix.
Well the Jeep is for off roading , I just came back from Windrock in Tennessee restricted to the trails I could do , I want to be able to do more trails that is why I want to go to 33’s , it must be able to tow my teardrop trailer that is a must , plus it is my main transportation to and from work as well

Agreed! But many become “mall-crawlers”. Whether you do a spacer or suspension lift that won’t change your ability to tow. The difference will be in ride, articulation (travel distance) of the wheels etc. Depending on the suspension lift you get you may get a better ride, we did on each jeep. As @BLACKJKU said 2.5” lifts and under are more cost effective then over 2.5” of lift. That is a rough estimate as each suspension lift depending on manufacture, build of jeep etc. the actual lift height may be more or less. We averaged just over 3” with our 2.5” lift and haven’t had any issues, but I think the manufacture took that into account. With a spacer your increase will be what the spacer size is as it basically just sits on top of the existing coil lifting the jeep. There is nothing wrong with a spacer, I just felt going to the amount of effort to drop the axles, loosen all the control arms, track bars etc. might as well save up for a lift, pull the springs and replace them. Glad I did.

Reactions: BLACKJKU
Agreed! But many become “mall-crawlers”. Whether you do a spacer or suspension lift that won’t change your ability to tow. The difference will be in ride, articulation (travel distance) of the wheels etc. Depending on the suspension lift you get you may get a better ride, we did on each jeep. As @BLACKJKU said 2.5” lifts and under are more cost effective then over 2.5” of lift. That is a rough estimate as each suspension lift depending on manufacture, build of jeep etc. the actual lift height may be more or less. We averaged just over 3” with our 2.5” lift and haven’t had any issues, but I think the manufacture took that into account. With a spacer your increase will be what the spacer size is as it basically just sits on top of the existing coil lifting the jeep. There is nothing wrong with a spacer, I just felt going to the amount of effort to drop the axles, loosen all the control arms, track bars etc. might as well save up for a lift, pull the springs and replace them. Glad I did.
Thanks for your reply any good recommendations for a lift that I would need

Another thing you can do instead of a lift and if you like the look would be flattop fenders.
I intend to replace the factory fenders for skinner ones, the 2010 2dr Rubicon belonged to my spouse which sadly passed away on March the 4th, I am taking it to where my spouse would want it , it has already aftermarket front and rear bumpers and a winch installed, which my spouse put on , I am trying to finish what my spouse started in memory

That's nice that your wanting to do that. With the flattop fenders you may not need to lift it, you should get the fenders first and then see what it looks like.

33's will clear alot better with those fenders.

Very kind of you.

As far as a lift we’ve been happy with the AEV 2.5” Dualsport lift, which cost around $1,300 with tax and shipping.

That's nice that your wanting to do that. With the flattop fenders you may not need to lift it, you should get the fenders first and then see what it looks like.

33's will clear alot better with those fenders.
Side picture as promised still got the Tennessee mud on it from Windrock

0A068CBD-3BBD-46DE-AA98-4EB24730A8E5.jpeg

47ED53EE-CE58-4B30-A1BB-D6160BF65FEE.jpeg

Very kind of you.

As far as a lift we’ve been happy with the AEV 2.5” Dualsport lift, which cost around $1,300 with tax and shipping.
Thanks for this , I will be lifting it but later on , I never mentioned but the 2010 2 dr Rubicon with the 6 speed manual transmission with the soft top was my favorite spouse’s Jeep . My spouse sadly passed away this year on March the 4th . So I am taking this Rubicon where it needs to be in honor of my spouse, my spouse already installed aftermarket bumpers front and rear plus a winch, I have put on new shocks new front driveshaft , have had the surface rust removed from underneath plus have it undercoated, I am doing this for my spouse that is what keeps me going

5135218D-1206-4110-956D-D9B547B5FCEE.jpeg

D12BE7D4-DEEF-4465-ACBC-E8F8B63AFE71.jpeg

DC79AE71-D299-4804-9335-49D7016E5495.jpeg

Reactions: mrjp
Nice looking Jeep. For some reason the rear axle looks shifted towards the front to me for some reason, probably my imaginatio. I think with 33” you might need to remove the aftermarket mudflap Also the rock rail where circled in red may need to be trimmed. If it does it should be easy to shorten.

ED78A816-3395-4F7C-9136-CD2B309D3786.jpeg