What is a good replacement shock?

Rancho RS5000X shocks ride the best of any "off the shelf" shock in my opinion. I've tried Bilstein 5100s, Fox, OME, and Rancho RS5000X, and the Ranchos are not only the cheapest, but ride the smoothest.

Which rancho shocks for a 2.5 inch lift? They don’t have a 2.5 inch shock...go bigger shock for there 3 inch lift?

I absolutely hated my rancho shocks. They were very stiff and provided a very rough ride. They were one of the main reasons I upgraded my lift kit to teraflex 2.5 with shocks.

The gearheads in my area are generally in agreement that they are great for heavy trucks, but if you want a comfortable ride avoid them. I wasn't on these forums when I got them last year, but I did get the suggestion from the internet. I kept them on there about seven months before I got fed up.

My current Rancho RS5000X's feel very comparable to the Rubicon shocks on the stock JL's. I bought my Wrangler with them already installed, so sorry I can't compare it to my stock suspension.

Reactions: Chris
Rancho RS5000X shocks ride amazing, it's just a shame the finish is so lackluster and cheap :LOL:

Those are what I had and I was very disappointed. I dug around a bit trying to find the exact item numbers, but I'll never buy a product of theirs again.

Reactions: BigAL07
Rancho RS9000 work well and have a street price of less than $100 per shock. They're adjustable so you can tailor the ride to your preference. The biggest downfall I see is the finish. Most folks recommend a couple of coats of clear over the factory finish as it's lacking, especially around welds and the adjuster on the RS9000

Those are what I had and I was very disappointed. I dug around a bit trying to find the exact item numbers, but I'll never buy a product of theirs again.

Interesting you say that! I've owned Bilstein 5100s, Fox IFPs, OME Nitrocharger Sports, Rough Country, and Rancho RS5000Xs. My favorite riding of the entire bunch would be the Rancho RS5000X shocks by a long shot.

The only thing I had that rode better would be custom tuned Fox 2.0 smooth body shocks, but those were also $300 a shock and a custom tune on top of that, so it's to be expected.

Not sure. I have Teraflex 9550s now that came with the 2.5 lift and they are worlds better. I enjoy driving my jeep again.

It's possible I had the wrong length... I guess... and that affected the ride. I don't think that was the case, but :unsure:

I had them on my 99. Nice ride.
I remember reading in the tj forum about the length/lift size recommended by Rancho was inaccurate. Something about cycling your sus and using those measurements to order the correct travel shocks.

I had them on my 99. Nice ride.
I remember reading in the tj forum about the length/lift size recommended by Rancho was inaccurate. Something about cycling your sus and using those measurements to order the correct travel shocks.

I put the 0-2 shocks on my JK with the 1.5 teraflex leveling kit. My old shocks were shot and saw the Rancho suggested on the internets. Hated them from day one.

The jeep did corner better and have less body lean, but man were they stiff.

Reactions: BigAL07
I had 33 x 10.50 tires and ran them at 25 psi to soften the ride. more air it would ride like a 1 ton.

I'm going to replace my shocks when I get new tires later this year or early next year and while I'm set on my tires, I have no idea which shocks to go with. I'm so pissed of with Teraflex with my spare tire mount that I'm considering replacing the Teraflex steering stabilizer just because I don't want their name or products on my JK anymore.

Reactions: Workerbee33
I've been looking at the different shocks myself, for when I do the 2.5" lift. Thanks for the help on which length to get - was not sure whether the 0-2 or the 3+ was the right way to go. Also, would LOVE the terraflex Falcons, but at that price I'm not ready to bite...yet. I used the Bilstein 5100s on my 3/4 ton truck, and they were a great ride, but it looks like the Rancho 9000s are my go to now. We'll see after I install them. Appreciate all the posts on this thread, thanks.

Anyone know the difference (other than $60) between these Bilstein shocks? I have a 2013 JKU Sahara that has 150k and I am third owner. Not sure when current shocks were installed but they are not brand name.

Bilstein 24-141727 24-141734 Pair of Front and Rear 4600 Series Shock Absorbers for 07-17 Jeep Wrangler and 2018 Wrangler JK https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OBZGXPG/?tag=jkforum-20
Bilstein B6 4600 Front and Rear Shock Absorbers Kit For Jeep Wrangler JK https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FLSDXGS/?tag=jkforum-20

Thanks for any reply

A3EF9B8E-0F31-4EA5-8B4B-6AF2A9EA0130.png

A54DB9D8-D4D8-489F-A79A-B858B0AB59CB.png

Anyone know the difference (other than $60) between these Bilstein shocks? I have a 2013 JKU Sahara that has 150k and I am third owner. Not sure when current shocks were installed but they are not brand name.

Bilstein 24-141727 24-141734 Pair of Front and Rear 4600 Series Shock Absorbers for 07-17 Jeep Wrangler and 2018 Wrangler JK https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OBZGXPG/?tag=jkforum-20
Bilstein B6 4600 Front and Rear Shock Absorbers Kit For Jeep Wrangler JK https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FLSDXGS/?tag=jkforum-20

Thanks for any reply

View attachment 122216

View attachment 122217

The B6 4600 is the higher performance shock from Bilstein. Both will fit your JK as will the standard performance 4600 series.

Also recommend you take a look at https://www.shocksurplus.com/.
I got my Ranchos here a couple years ago cheaper than Amazon or anywhere else.

Reactions: Jpartridge1992