What is a good replacement shock?

Sully7962

I have a 2014 Jeep Wrangler 4 door Unlimited Sport, with a 2.5" lift on it. Whats a good replacement shock for it?

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Rancho RS5000X shocks ride the best of any "off the shelf" shock in my opinion. I've tried Bilstein 5100s, Fox, OME, and Rancho RS5000X, and the Ranchos are not only the cheapest, but ride the smoothest.

Reactions: Sully7962

Blkout

Which rancho shocks for a 2.5 inch lift? They don’t have a 2.5 inch shock...go bigger shock for there 3 inch lift?

MacGuyver

I absolutely hated my rancho shocks. They were very stiff and provided a very rough ride. They were one of the main reasons I upgraded my lift kit to teraflex 2.5 with shocks.

The gearheads in my area are generally in agreement that they are great for heavy trucks, but if you want a comfortable ride avoid them. I wasn't on these forums when I got them last year, but I did get the suggestion from the internet. I kept them on there about seven months before I got fed up.

Keatsmageats

My current Rancho RS5000X's feel very comparable to the Rubicon shocks on the stock JL's. I bought my Wrangler with them already installed, so sorry I can't compare it to my stock suspension.

Reactions: Chris

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Rancho RS5000X shocks ride amazing, it's just a shame the finish is so lackluster and cheap :LOL:

MacGuyver

Rancho RS5000X shocks ride amazing, it's just a shame the finish is so lackluster and cheap :LOL:
Those are what I had and I was very disappointed. I dug around a bit trying to find the exact item numbers, but I'll never buy a product of theirs again.

Boosthead

Rancho RS9000 work well and have a street price of less than $100 per shock. They're adjustable so you can tailor the ride to your preference. The biggest downfall I see is the finish. Most folks recommend a couple of coats of clear over the factory finish as it's lacking, especially around welds and the adjuster on the RS9000

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Those are what I had and I was very disappointed. I dug around a bit trying to find the exact item numbers, but I'll never buy a product of theirs again.
Interesting you say that! I've owned Bilstein 5100s, Fox IFPs, OME Nitrocharger Sports, Rough Country, and Rancho RS5000Xs. My favorite riding of the entire bunch would be the Rancho RS5000X shocks by a long shot.

The only thing I had that rode better would be custom tuned Fox 2.0 smooth body shocks, but those were also $300 a shock and a custom tune on top of that, so it's to be expected.

MacGuyver

Not sure. I have Teraflex 9550s now that came with the 2.5 lift and they are worlds better. I enjoy driving my jeep again.

It's possible I had the wrong length... I guess... and that affected the ride. I don't think that was the case, but :unsure: