What gears will work best with 35s and highway driving?

exactly.
If you have an auto, 456 and a true 35” tire is ok. But still a little revy in my opinion
If you have the 6 speed manual, then 4:10 and a 315/70/17 (34.6) will do just fine.
I’m in the second group.

have you actually measured your tires???

about 3 weeks ago i purchased 315 70 17s, thinking they would be 34.4", as thats whats the online converters say... however, after installing, mine measure just a bit above 33.5"...

i have stock 4.10 gears on an auto Sahara 07, and these do not feel too bad after Jscan recalibration...

have you actually measured your tires???

about 3 weeks ago i purchased 315 70 17s, thinking they would be 34.4", as thats whats the online converters say... however, after installing, mine measure just a bit above 33.5"...

i have stock 4.10 gears on an auto Sahara 07, and these do not feel too bad after Jscan recalibration...

yes, measuring your actual run size is very important for accurate calculations.
Manufacturers all have different run sizes, compared to their advertised size.
cooper is almost dead on, most of the time, whereas Goodyear always runs small. I don’t have recent experience with any others

Chris, It's Marty from your old stomping grounds. Last year I bought a 2017 JKU Sahara 6-speed with a 4 inch lift and 35's on Dana 30/44 with 3.12's (ya, bleh!). It was built out fairly well and came with both a hard top and soft top...very nice ride. Even nicer to have AC for once! Although it was a "look at me/parking lot princess" that never left the pavement. Besides the 35's on 3.12's, it had a few other dubious mods that I either re, up, or de-modded. Ok, enough of that. I'm looking into re-gearing now. Have been leaning towards 4.56 - looks like you're recommending 4.10 for the manuals. This will be daily driver but will also get wheeled in the mud and snow a few times per year. Probably not gonna do much rock crawling. I'm still in the same neighborhood with hills all around and no plans to move. Towing will be limited to the dump with a small utility trailer a couple times per year. It will have to pass over both mountain ranges several times per year. What say you?

Chris, It's Marty from your old stomping grounds. Last year I bought a 2017 JKU Sahara 6-speed with a 4 inch lift and 35's on Dana 30/44 with 3.12's (ya, bleh!). It was built out fairly well and came with both a hard top and soft top...very nice ride. Even nicer to have AC for once! Although it was a "look at me/parking lot princess" that never left the pavement. Besides the 35's on 3.12's, it had a few other dubious mods that I either re, up, or de-modded. Ok, enough of that. I'm looking into re-gearing now. Have been leaning towards 4.56 - looks like you're recommending 4.10 for the manuals. This will be daily driver but will also get wheeled in the mud and snow a few times per year. Probably not gonna do much rock crawling. I'm still in the same neighborhood with hills all around and no plans to move. Towing will be limited to the dump with a small utility trailer a couple times per year. It will have to pass over both mountain ranges several times per year. What say you?

According to this chart you should use 4.56 or 4.88's

I`m running 35`s with 4:10`s and if you are going to deal with mountain passes often I would go with 4:88 at least.

Reactions: BLACKJKU
I have 4.88's on my TJ and it drives great, except for hills 'n stuff. But that's got more to do with the 4 malnourished squirrels pushing 33's. I'm going to let my 16 year old son drive the TJ cause it's a pig...and I can pull out the passenger seat in under 5 minutes. 8)

Thanks. I was all set on 4.56's until I read Chris' comments about running 4.10's. Curious hear his input...hasn't lead me wrong yet.

There are really three major differences when picking gears:

is it a '07-'11 3.8, or a '12+ 3.6 engine. Two different charts
is it a manual or automatic transmission. Again two different charts.
What is the tire size you want to run.

For a good daily driver with some overlanding/hill climbing, you'd want to be near the middle/upper end of the green.

So for your 3.6 manual transmission here is the chart:

On 4.10's, you're close to the "sluggish on hills" yellow category.

On 4.56's, you're close to the "trail rig" blue category.

IMHO if you have any hills or do any overlanding, I'd go with the 4.56's on a manual transmission/3.6L/35's combo.

You could also easily run 37's on the 4.56's if you ever upgrade the front axle from a D30 to a D44.

36gears2.png

Reactions: ROTTEN TOMATEN
I used to have 4.10s and 35s with the auto tranny. Wasn’t the best on steep grades. Definitely could use more power. My Jeep is on the heavier side though. I second the 4:56 for 35s. Will put you right about 2500 at 70mph.

I know have 5:13s and 37s and love it. If I saw a lot of highway miles and cared a lot about hwy mpg I would have done 4:88s.

Reactions: mrjp
So after reading the replies, I should know the answer but I'm going to ask anyway. I have an 08 jku auto with 3.73 gears and want to run 35's doing the math I need 4.56 gears. I currently run 265 75 R18 and tach 2000 at 70 with rpms going up to 25000 to 3000 after regearing would that not be putting more stress on motor and trans?
If you have an 08 auto I would not go with 4.56 at all. You would have sluggish, crappy performance, hardly ever be able to use your overdrive. You will be very under powered. I would do 5.13. What is your front axle?

Reactions: Vman
If you have an 08 auto I would not go with 4.56 at all. You would have sluggish, crappy performance, hardly ever be able to use your overdrive. You will be very under powered. I would do 5.13. What is your front axle?

I love the 5.13's on my '07 auto. With the truetracs I can chirp the wheels turning from a stop and for a second I'm fooled into thinking I have a real engine 😅

• Face Palm
Reactions: mrjp and Jermbob28
I have a 2012 Rubicon with the 6 speed manual. When it was on 33s, I felt it was pretty peppy on the highway. The engine was turning about 2750 rpms at 80 mph. The 3.6 loves to spin.

Now that it has 35s, rpms are about 2500 at 80. Acceleration in 6th gear is now a little sluggish. If I were regearing my Jeep from 3.12s, I wouldn't waste the money on 4.10s. I'd be debating between 4.56 & 4.88 gearing. After crunching the numbers on the Grim Jeeper gearing calculator, I'd probably get the 4.88s.

For my Jeep, I wouldn't spend the money to regear from 4.10s to 4.88s. Cruise control will hold a steady 80 mph in 6th gear. But I would like to buy a bit more torque.

Mine performs great. However I will say I am stock. I have Mopar hightop fenders that allow me to run "35s" on stock rubicon suspension.

I have plenty of get up and go, i can beat some cars off the line if i want to floor it. I have never thought "man, i wish i had more get up and go"

Running at 70 it stays at around 2500 rpm. My only complaint is of course MPG. I get significantly better MPG in the city than the highway. 16 highway and 19 city.
I imagine with other gears you can remedy this, but the cost for me would outweigh the gas savings and its a jeeps so its whatever.

All in all, I personally have no issues with my 4.10s.
My Rubicon is pretty much opposite that, though I'm running 32s. The city ranges 14-16, but highway and freeway can get up to around 20-22, depending on the wind. If your freeway mileage is lower than stop and go, I would suggest looking at some calibrations to check that. The 70 mph tach reading is right in line with mine, and again, I'm running 32s rather than 35s.