Water in jack storage area

Tadpool

I have a 2016 Jeep Wrangler 4 door and found several inches of water in the jack storage area. Has anyone had this happen? And if so have you located how the water is getting in?

Does this happen when it's raining? If so, are you running a hard top or a soft top?
I have a hard top. I just noticed the water yesterday it was about 2 1/2 inches worth of water under the little cargo tub, where the jack is stored. We have had some rain in Texas, but this has never happened before, (Has always leaked at the front doors, even after 6 visits to the Jeep dealer) I have been taking it to the hand held car wash a lot. Carpet and mat in back were dry. Jack is completely rusted. It really surprised me.
Thank you

I have a hard top. I just noticed the water yesterday it was about 2 1/2 inches worth of water under the little cargo tub, where the jack is stored. We have had some rain in Texas, but this has never happened before, (Has always leaked at the front doors, even after 6 visits to the Jeep dealer) I have been taking it to the hand held car wash a lot. Carpet and mat in back were dry. Jack is completely rusted. It really surprised me.
Thank you

If I had to guess, the water came from either the hardtop freedom panels (a common area for leaks with heavy rain), or you may be missing a floor pan plug.

Reactions: Tadpool
Have the same problem with rain since new, 10yrs. Slice the drain plug, for future drainage but do not remove. Mice will try and get in if you have them. I try to park with the nose up if possible. Remove all jacking equipment, it will rust over time. Here we have salt to deal with in the winter. Is there someone without Freedom Top leaks?

Reactions: BigAL07
I bought a used 2013 JKU this summer and just opened that little compartment to check the Jack to go on sand (permit requires a working Jack). I found a completely rusted in place Jack and about an inch of rusty water in there. Had to sledge hammer the Jack out and put a new small hole in the plug like Troy66/68 suggested. Regular check in on the Jack compartment is probably a good idea for all

I bought a used 2013 JKU this summer and just opened that little compartment to check the Jack to go on sand (permit requires a working Jack). I found a completely rusted in place Jack and about an inch of rusty water in there. Had to sledge hammer the Jack out and put a new small hole in the plug like Troy66/68 suggested. Regular check in on the Jack compartment is probably a good idea for all
The 12 I bought this summer had the same issue. I replaced it with a bottle jack.

I think all my water was coming from a completely rotted out cabin air pressure flap on the tailgate. Removing that and replacing it with a siliconed on delete plate while installing Morryde tailgate reinforcement seems to have stopped the dust and water.

Now I just need to get the freedom top to stop leaking on the radio...

-Mac

Not sure how floor pan drain plugs were allowing water into the jack storage, which is right in front of the tailgate.
I would inspect the tailgate opening weatherstripping and the tailgate vent behind the spare as mentioned above.

My "jack space" is filled with recovery gear. If I need to lift it anywhere other than my garage, I use the Highlift.

Reactions: Speartip
The 12 I bought this summer had the same issue. I replaced it with a bottle jack.

I think all my water was coming from a completely rotted out cabin air pressure flap on the tailgate. Removing that and replacing it with a siliconed on delete plate while installing Morryde tailgate reinforcement seems to have stopped the dust and water.

Now I just need to get the freedom top to stop leaking on the radio...

-Mac
Hey Mac- Thanks for your reply. I also got the Morryde tailgate hinge. The thing is awesome! Much more sturdy and secure than OEM hinge. I will check the cabin pressure flap. The drain on the bottom of the Jack storage area was clogged so I hope that helped.

Also - same with leaking Freedom Panels. Another guy posted about getting weather stripping from Home Depot and scraping the old stuff off. Lots of little projects this weekend!

Reactions: mrjp
I have a 2016 Jeep Wrangler 4 door and found several inches of water in the jack storage area. Has anyone had this happen? And if so have you located how the water is getting in?

See if that helps.

Mine had the same issue. The weatherstripping between the glass and tailgate was not glued down at the ends. The water was dripping off the bottom of the glass and running down the inside of the tailgate and into the Jack storage area. I glued it down, but still getting a small amount of water and I believe it’s the issue shown in the video.

Your basically driving a convertible, so be patient.

Reactions: mrjp and BigAL07
I had the same problem. My jack is a big pile of rust as is the tire irons. Looking at an oem used set for my 2010 JK unlimited. They're super expensive. Anyone have suggestions on alternative choice set that are quality and can handle a 2-in lift and oversized tires, that won't break the bank?
Also has anybody found a waterproof bag that you can put the new jack equipment in in that space to avoid the issue? I see they sell storage compartment waterproof bags which I'm looking at (which historically has the same water issues) to see if that's an alternative if not.

I had the same problem. My jack is a big pile of rust as is the tire irons. Looking at an oem used set for my 2010 JK unlimited. They're super expensive. Anyone have suggestions on alternative choice set that are quality and can handle a 2-in lift and oversized tires, that won't break the bank?
Also has anybody found a waterproof bag that you can put the new jack equipment in in that space to avoid the issue? I see they sell storage compartment waterproof bags which I'm looking at (which historically has the same water issues) to see if that's an alternative if not.
The OEM stuff is junk anyway. Quadratec sells them for about $200. For about $100, you can buy a HI-Lift jack. A good mount for it will cost you less than $50. I have mounts that attach to the rear downbars of the cage and keep the jack inside the hardtop, so there's less risk of theft.

Reactions: Daisy 6152012
Although I keep nothing in it, my jack storage space has a plug, just like the floorboards.
Do the older models not have a plug?