Vader - 2013 Oscar Mike JKU - Trail Rig Build

Correct. The holes are drilled through the top and bottom of the frame rails. The bolts are fairly long. The bumper has the mounting holes in it. So I set it in place then center punched the top and bottom of the frame. I didn't have long enough drill bits to get all the way through from one side. When I was done drilling I test fit the bolts and they fell through with no issues. Now I am going to get it painted so I can permanently attach it when I get it back.
Nice looking welds. I'm more of a booger welder...
I'm assuming you're going to sleeve the bolt holes, to prevent frame crush?

Nice looking welds. I'm more of a booger welder...
I'm assuming you're going to sleeve the bolt holes, to prevent frame crush?

I wasn't planning on it. I haven't seen any of the frame chop bumpers sleeve those. I looked into several different manufactures, they all pretty much mount the exact same way. Not saying its a bad idea. It would add strength.

I wasn't planning on it. I haven't seen any of the frame chop bumpers sleeve those. I looked into several different manufactures, they all pretty much mount the exact same way. Not saying its a bad idea. It would add strength.
I've never done this on a JK, but I did some similar things with a YJ and the frame could be crushed. Any time it's physically possible, I prefer to put crush sleeves in. It's cheap, easy insurance.

Do I assume correctly that the front axle will be wider than stock? So the monster 42’s will have room to turn .
If so how much wider than stock ?
Do your wheels have min backspacing to help with clearance ?
Bumper looks really good !

Do I assume correctly that the front axle will be wider than stock? So the monster 42’s will have room to turn .
If so how much wider than stock ?
Do your wheels have min backspacing to help with clearance ?
Bumper looks really good !
You are spot on! The new axles are 73.5" wide. I believe the stock axles are 65.5" wide. So that gives me 4" on either side. And yes, the wheels also have less back spacing. I'm hoping with all of that plus the trimming I did will allow me a somewhat normal turn radius. I'll find out in a couple weeks. I just got back from dropping off the wheels, tires, and keys.

Reactions: mrjp and Speartip
You are spot on! The new axles are 73.5" wide. I believe the stock axles are 65.5" wide. So that gives me 4" on either side. And yes, the wheels also have less back spacing. I'm hoping with all of that plus the trimming I did will allow me a somewhat normal turn radius. I'll find out in a couple weeks. I just got back from dropping off the wheels, tires, and keys.

Ok , so a lot wider than stock .
I imagine with that width and min backspacing your turning radius shouldn’t be effected .
Cool project , can’t wait till you get it back . Hopefully with these major mods you will still be able drive on the streets where you live .
I’m still running factory flares as the law can be really picky here . I’m using 4.5” back spacing on wheels which makes tires stick out about 1 1/2” beyond flares with no mud flaps . Haven’t had problems with that .
Seen a handful of Jeep’s around running wide flat steel flares . Haven’t spoken to anyone of them so not sure if red flagged .
The narrow flares here would not fly . You’d get pulled over first time the police saw it .
To give you an idea . My sister a few years ago got pulled over and ticketed. Her rear tail tail lenses were faded so bad almost pink in colour . They are supposed to be red .It was an older Taco 4 Runner .

Ok , so a lot wider than stock .
I imagine with that width and min backspacing your turning radius shouldn’t be effected .
Cool project , can’t wait till you get it back . Hopefully with these major mods you will still be able drive on the streets where you live .
I’m still running factory flares as the law can be really picky here . I’m using 4.5” back spacing on wheels which makes tires stick out about 1 1/2” beyond flares with no mud flaps . Haven’t had problems with that .
Seen a handful of Jeep’s around running wide flat steel flares . Haven’t spoken to anyone of them so not sure if red flagged .
The narrow flares here would not fly . You’d get pulled over first time the police saw it .
To give you an idea . My sister a few years ago got pulled over and ticketed. Her rear tail tail lenses were faded so bad almost pink in colour . They are supposed to be red .It was an older Taco 4 Runner .
Yeah, I'm certain this build project wouldn't be taking place if I lived in an area with those laws. It would probably look a lot closer to a Corvette. lol

Width wise I should be the same as a one ton truck, but tire coverage is going to be lacking. Heck 4 wheelers and side by sides are legal to drive on the road where I live.

Reactions: mrjp and Speartip
Yeah, I'm certain this build project wouldn't be taking place if I lived in an area with those laws. It would probably look a lot closer to a Corvette. lol

Width wise I should be the same as a one ton truck, but tire coverage is going to be lacking. Heck 4 wheelers and side by sides are legal to drive on the road where I live.

Well you could build here , just have to trailer to the trails . Seen a couple guys doing that . Many quad and side by sides on the island . All get trailered to the trails .
I was thinking same thing , about width of a 1 ton .
Very cool build brother . Def appreciate and respect that your doing it all the right way and not cutting any corners :)

Reactions: Qaddiction and mrjp
I'm not sure what else I can say about this build. Impractical, illogical, irresponsible...but oh my...WOW. #DreamJeep.

Curiosity got the best of me tonight. I got to take my daughter to soccer practice. It just happens to go past the town in where my rig is undergoing major surgery. lol. So, on the way back, we stopped off to see if it might be sitting in the recovery room. I thought there would be a decent chance it would be. I knew they would have to measure and order the drive shafts after it was built up. Sure enough, it was! I have no idea exactly what all has yet to be done as I have not bothered the shop. I only stayed for a minute, but wow. This thing is huge. The wide stance looks incredibly stable. It was after dark. So the picture isn't the greatest, but here is a sneak peak. I took this single picture. I'm kicking myself for not taking a few more. In due time I suppose. I'll list more pictures and details of the build when I actually get it back.

20230418_205529.jpg

I'm not sure what else I can say about this build. Impractical, illogical, irresponsible...but oh my...WOW. #DreamJeep.

Curiosity got the best of me tonight. I got to take my daughter to soccer practice. It just happens to go past the town in where my rig is undergoing major surgery. lol. So, on the way back, we stopped off to see if it might be sitting in the recovery room. I thought there would be a decent chance it would be. I knew they would have to measure and order the drive shafts after it was built up. Sure enough, it was! I have no idea exactly what all has yet to be done as I have not bothered the shop. I only stayed for a minute, but wow. This thing is huge. The wide stance looks incredibly stable. It was after dark. So the picture isn't the greatest, but here is a sneak peak. I took this single picture. I'm kicking myself for not taking a few more. In due time I suppose. I'll list more pictures and details of the build when I actually get it back.

View attachment 124133

Vader is alive !!
Well just about.
Honestly man, looks sic!

A few questions .
With the big tires what gears are you going with?
I imagine 5.86or higher ?
Being that your diff's are just about indestructible
would your drive shaft ujoints be the weak point? So
you don't bust up anything up river ie. transfer case
in case you jam a tire on a rock or whatever.
Do you think the T Case can handle the load or
do you see yourself switching to an Atlas at one
point ?
Which lockers did you go with?

I've been doing more research for my rig. Obviously
completely diff type of build . But it's educational for
bouncing ideas of one another . Originally
was going to go with Eaton E locker but for whatever
reason the price has sky rocketed here in Canada.
$1800. That's just for one locker .

So I'm now thinking of a Truetrac LSD in the rear with a
Spartan Helical LSD up front . Just trying to control costs
a bit . If I ever tripod will just ride the brake. We don't have
rock trails like they have down there . So safe to say mine is
more of an overlanding rig with a few narly trails here & there.
I'm planning G2 chrome moly shafts front & back.
Gearing 4.56. My 3.8 has 260K so just
trying not to over rev it to much on the Hwy that's
why thinking 4.56. When the 33's wear out
some more jumping up to a 35" .

If the rain holds out for a day this weekend
installing Powerstop pads & rotors
and new bearings/hubs ..

It's at least half alive! lol

I went with 5.38 gears. That was the lowest ratio they offered.

I would say the u-joints will be my weakest link, but I did up the size of them as well. 1350 front / 1410 rear.

It has the stock transfer case. I plan on riding it out until something goes bad, or I feel the need to switch it out. Honestly, I need to educate myself more on the differences between the sport / rubicon / and atlas t-cases. I may need some seat time to see how the gearing feels and what the rig needs.

I went with the e-lockers on this build. It will be my first experience with e-lockers. I have ARB air lockers in my other 2 rigs. I have not had any issues with the ARB lockers. Not sure why I went e-lockers this time, but I did.

I also have similar high mileage on my motor. That was kind of what I was looking for in a way. I wanted to find a cheaper base to start with. Ultimately, I want to swap in a V8 with an 8 or 10 speed transmission.

Reactions: Speartip
It's at least half alive! lol

I went with 5.38 gears. That was the lowest ratio they offered.

I would say the u-joints will be my weakest link, but I did up the size of them as well. 1350 front / 1410 rear.

It has the stock transfer case. I plan on riding it out until something goes bad, or I feel the need to switch it out. Honestly, I need to educate myself more on the differences between the sport / rubicon / and atlas t-cases. I may need some seat time to see how the gearing feels and what the rig needs.

I went with the e-lockers on this build. It will be my first experience with e-lockers. I have ARB air lockers in my other 2 rigs. I have not had any issues with the ARB lockers. Not sure why I went e-lockers this time, but I did.

I also have similar high mileage on my motor. That was kind of what I was looking for in a way. I wanted to find a cheaper base to start with. Ultimately, I want to swap in a V8 with an 8 or 10 speed transmission.

The chrome moly front axle shafts I'm looking at have a 1350 Ujoint.
Driveshafts going with a 1310 ujoint in the front. Fig it's better
and much easier to deal with broken drivshaft as opposed to
axle especially if on the trail.

The Sport & Sahara have 1 to 1 4 Hi.
2.72 in 4Lo.
The Rubicon has 2.72 in 4 Hi.
4 to 1 4 Lo.

I find with the trails & obstacles I'm doing 2.72 for low is just right.
Also use it when going down a mountain. Saves the brakes.
4 to 1 is literally for crawling.

Agreed seat time will tell you how things are and adjust from there.

Read pros & cons about the air lockers . Biggest complaint was air leaks.
But your saying no issues. Interesting . Maybe something I may have to
consider for the rear. As they are less expensive than the E lockers.
Wondering if some negative I read came from those who actually havnet
used them. That seems to be a thing on forums. Guys offering theories
as opposed to actual experience. Was planning an ARB dual compressor
anyways so that would take care of air.
Should clarify 260K Kilometers .
162k Miles.
Hopefully you get Vader back soon.
Let us know how it drives & feels.

Reactions: Qaddiction
Ok, the wait is over. I finally got my rig back this weekend. It had quite the makeover while it was gone. A lot of parts which I have been accumulating over the last year finally got installed. I'll start with the lift. I had an EVO High Clearance Long Arm Pro Suspension installed. That comes with King coilovers at all four corners which I painted red. A set of Fusion axles, Elite Kingpin Dana 60 front and Elite 80 full float rear. Those are stuffed with selectable E-Lockers and 5.38 gears. Those are being spun by Tom Wood drive shafts (1350 front and 1410 rear). Steering is PSC box with hydraulic assist. Fusion 2.5 ton drag link and tie rod finish off the steering. To round off the front, I had a Swayloc front sway bar, a Teraflex front trackbar, and some Rough Country bump stops installed. I think the only extra piece in the back is a custom made trackbar. Here are some pictures of how it currently sits.

20230709_150359.jpg

20230709_150407.jpg

20230709_150414.jpg

20230709_150423.jpg

20230709_150431.jpg

WOW what engine are you planning to put in that Jeep my 12v's that are slightly modded have never broken a D70 rear axle? Or did you just get a killer deal on the axles?
Ultimately, I would like to put a newer LT with a 10 speed. We will see if that part of the dream comes true. Although, I'm surprised it has come as far as it has already!

I don't have a good answer to be honest. What minimal time I have behind the wheel so far, I think I will be fine without high steer. Time will tell.
Sure, it'll be fine, so long as you don't mash that tie rod and expensive hydraulic ram into a rock... The high steer conversion doesn't eliminate the risk (nothing does...) but it does move those relatively fragile components up and out of the way, so you're more likely to bang your axle tube or diff cover instead.

I don't think most rigs need this, but for a hard core trail rig (which is what it seems you're building), I'm a big fan.

Ok, the wait is over. I finally got my rig back this weekend. It had quite the makeover while it was gone. A lot of parts which I have been accumulating over the last year finally got installed. I'll start with the lift. I had an EVO High Clearance Long Arm Pro Suspension installed. That comes with King coilovers at all four corners which I painted red. A set of Fusion axles, Elite Kingpin Dana 60 front and Elite 80 full float rear. Those are stuffed with selectable E-Lockers and 5.38 gears. Those are being spun by Tom Wood drive shafts (1350 front and 1410 rear). Steering is PSC box with hydraulic assist. Fusion 2.5 ton drag link and tie rod finish off the steering. To round off the front, I had a Swayloc front sway bar, a Teraflex front trackbar, and some Rough Country bump stops installed. I think the only extra piece in the back is a custom made trackbar. Here are some pictures of how it currently sits.

View attachment 124822

View attachment 124823

View attachment 124824

View attachment 124825

View attachment 124826

WIW , Just WOW!
Looks awesome !
How does it feel driving ?