Transmission fluid check

longlivenintendo

JK Enthusiast
Just wanted to check my transmission fluid cuz ya know why not. The engine is cold and the fluid was above the hot dots. Is that a problem? Nothing wrong with the shifting just was curious. And what do you think about the color? When do you think it is dirty? To me it looks red orange and not brown which I'm guessing is ok.

20230323_101420.jpg

Most vehicles want the trans to be at operating temp and trans in neutral when checking the fluid level. Best to check your owners manual to be sure.

But from the color it looks as if it need to be changed, your owners manual will tell you at what miles it should be done.

Depending on the year and if your original owner.
Often trans fluid and filter for whatever rewson
get over looked.
Recently had my trans flushed and a new filter installed.
It solved the 1200 RPM , 50 KPH vibration I was having .
I'm 2nd owner of this Jeep. There is a real possibility that
it was never changed before so fluid was so old it had
"Broken down" and not providing sufficient lubrication.
I would suggest if your 2nd owner to get it changed along
with filter.

Reactions: BLACKJKU
yeah we're the original owners. We've had her for 15 years now so not sure when or if we've done it. We have never gone off roading, some hauling here and there but nothing regular. There are some good videos out there with tips. Main challenging part is putting permatex as a gasket on and not doing too much as I've heard the replacement gasket isn't too good

Reactions: Speartip
yeah we're the original owners. We've had her for 15 years now so not sure when or if we've done it. We have never gone off roading, some hauling here and there but nothing regular. There are some good videos out there with tips. Main challenging part is putting permatex as a gasket on and not doing too much as I've heard the replacement gasket isn't too good

Lube Locker makes the best gaskets, not sure if they make them for the Jeep transmissions yet or not.

As long as it's a Mopar or a name brand filter it would be ok. I always liked to either buy a new oil pan with a drain plug or else put a drain plug in the Factory pan. Makes the next time not so messy.

I've heard some good and bad stories with changing the pan. I dunno at 196k I'd be happy if the transmission didn't die on me first before changing the fluid again haha

At 196k i'd be more worried about the fluid and filter never having been changed and causing the trans to have problems.

What's people's experience with using other store bought atf+4 transmission fluid vs mopar? It says to use mopar on the dip stick. I mean I know I'm going to go with that ( just checked transmission fluid while hot and idling, Def need to add some) I have some atf+4 STP and it's gonna take a week or 2 for mopar to arrive seems a bit strange it's not readily available in local auto stores

Since you’ll be underneath .
I’m guessing transfer case fluid hasn’t been done ?
That’s a pretty easy , quick job . It also uses ATF +4.
TC has a drain plug . It also has a fill plug . Just fill till it starts creeping back out of fill hole .

What's people's experience with using other store bought atf+4 transmission fluid vs mopar? It says to use mopar on the dip stick.
Shocking. The manufacturer wants you to spend more money with them??? Who'da thunk it?

There is no such thing as Mopar ATF fluid. They buy it, slap a label on it, and add some to the price. Just get whatever is at your local auto parts store.

Since you’ll be underneath .
I’m guessing transfer case fluid hasn’t been done ?
That’s a pretty easy , quick job . It also uses ATF +4.
TC has a drain plug . It also has a fill plug . Just fill till it starts creeping back out of fill hole .
wait so you can/should do both? how many quarts of fluid would this be haha? so just suck out the fluid from the dip stick and also the drain plug and remove the pan?

wait so you can/should do both? how many quarts of fluid would this be haha? so just suck out the fluid from the dip stick and also the drain plug and remove the pan?

Yes the transfercase fluid should be changed once in a while along with the front and rear diffs, especially if you do much offroading and drive through water.

Just what are you wanting to suck from the dipstick?

The transfercase has a drain at the bottom and a fill plug about in the middle.

Sounds like you better just take it and have someone do it for you while you watch to see how it's done.