Traction control light flashing or staying on

Bbreynolds93

While driving our 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sport 4D, the traction control light will flash and it acts like the abs is trying to engage or the light will flash and then stay on. Also, when this happens the cruise control will disengage or not work at all. I was told it’s a steering sensor that needs reset, I’m looking for answers so we can eliminate the problem.

We haven't, we do have a scanner. I will have my husband scan it when it does it again. The shop where we take our vehicles for all things 4x4, said that it could be a steering sensor that needs reset. It has a 4" lift on it, which was done by the previous owner. We did an alignment and our shop said that we will need to replace both the upper and lower bushings because they have quite a bit of play in them. I was able to speak with the previous owner (he's local to me 40 miles) )and he said he didn't have any problems with it.

Yes, that's the problem with these JKs. Unlike the TJs and models before them, they are so electronically controlled, that you really need a fleet of diagnostic tools to figure out electrical stuff like this. They definitely aren't as DIY friendly as the older Jeeps.

Got the issue fixed, I actually had a pinion bolt that was extremely loose. Our 4x4 guys found it when they were realigning my Jeep. When they drove it the steering wheel turned hard to the left, luckily no accident. They put it on the rack and found the problem. My Jeep drives a 100 times better and all because of a loose bolt.

I am having a similar issue, traction control, ESP and sometimes 4x4 lights flash and the chimes go off. Will go an hour without happening then it will go non stop for an hour then stop again for a while. I've checked all the grounds I can find under the hood, I ran another ground from the negative battery terminal to the alternator. Checked the wheel speed sensors, steering wheel is straight, battery is 14+ volts. No related codes. It's driving me crazy, 2008 JKU.

Attachments

• Jeep dash.mp4
    18 MB
What I noticed in the video was everytime you turned the steering wheel back and forth fast was when the ESP light came on. That's what the ESP does the ECM thinks the Jeeps rear is loosing traction going sideways and it's supposed to correct it.

Yes checked with a scanner, no codes and I even ran it with live data watching the speed sensors. It really seems like a ground or loose connection maybe because it may go for 20 miles and nothing then all of a sudden it just won't stop. Even creeping along a dirt road at 3 mph it will just flash and ding then stop for a while. Local garage has no idea.

Yes checked with a scanner, no codes and I even ran it with live data watching the speed sensors. It really seems like a ground or loose connection maybe because it may go for 20 miles and nothing then all of a sudden it just won't stop. Even creeping along a dirt road at 3 mph it will just flash and ding then stop for a while. Local garage has no idea.

My ESP and ABS lights have been on for about 2 weeks but I guess i'm lucky I don't get the ding.

Maybe you just have a problem with the ESP sensor.

Is there a ESP sensor, I thought it was the wheel speed sensors that provided the data.

The sensor is under the center console, there is alot of info on deleting it. This tells how to reset it so you might try this.

Reactions: BigAL07 and mrjp
Oh yes, I have tried the steering wheel reset a few times (with the jeep running) and it does nothing. It is intermittent and shows no DTC but very annoying when it won't stop. The traction control system works, I tried on some ice today and the skidding car light starts to flash then goes out. Drive a ways and the traction control and esp and chimes start again. May have to try the front hub assemblies, I have jacked the jeep up and they seem fine but something is causing this.

Oh yes, I have tried the steering wheel reset a few times (with the jeep running) and it does nothing. It is intermittent and shows no DTC but very annoying when it won't stop. The traction control system works, I tried on some ice today and the skidding car light starts to flash then goes out. Drive a ways and the traction control and esp and chimes start again. May have to try the front hub assemblies, I have jacked the jeep up and they seem fine but something is causing this.
Did you figure out what it was

Can
287D0545-D5FC-4618-BF8D-41A8189412B3.png
anyone help me figure out what’s wrong with my Jeep these lights continue to flash and beep

Broken record chiming in again…
The factory clamp on the negative battery terminal is a piece of shit.
It LOOKS like it is tight, but it isn’t.

Remove the nut, bend the ‘fingers’ down & back a bit, then clean the post and put it back together.
Bending the fingers back actually allows the clamp to effectively tighten onto the battery post.

The fluctuations in voltage caused by this loss of ground is enough to mess with the ecu & cause all kinds of phantom errors and codes that will make you chase your ass to fix.

I literally just had this issue on my ‘15 JKUR a week ago, and at least 3 others have also solved their issues by fixing this connector.

I plan on replacing it in the near future for one that has a better engagement with the post.