The rickety 2008 is back! P0128

longlivenintendo

JK Enthusiast
The Rickety 2008 is back!!

I literally just changed the thermostat last summer. Been reading the other threads on this, could be the sensor too? Guess I don't mind changing it again since it's Not a big deal but maybe people know a good thermostat ? She got to 20.9 mpg by the way 🤣 could she be running too efficiently?

Screenshot_20230303-182109_OBD JScan.jpg

Screenshot_20230303-182058_OBD JScan.jpg

Screenshot_20230303-182038_OBD JScan.jpg

The coolant temp at 154 is low. This would lead me to believe the t-stat is stuck open and the engine is not getting to operating temp while coolant is flowing.

Easiest check in the world: let the engine cool and have someone start your vehicle cold while you wrap your hand around the upper radiator hose. If you feel coolant flow through the upper hose as soon as the engine starts, your t-stat is stuck open. Had this issue a couple years ago and replaced in an hour or so after ordering from partsgeek.com.

Last edited:
The coolant temp at 154 is low. This would lead me to believe the t-stat is stuck open and the engine is not getting to operating temp before it opens and allows coolant to begin flowing.

Easiest check in the world: let the engine cool and have someone start your vehicle cold while you wrap your hand around the upper radiator hose. If you feel coolant flow through the upper hose as soon as the engine starts, your t-stat is stuck open. Had this issue a couple years ago and replaced in an hour or so after ordering from partsgeek.com.
I missed that! I'd say stuck open too!

Update!

It's been a few days since I changed it Sunday and I've driven a bit and on Sunday I changed the coolant sensor as I had changed the t Stat no long ago. So far so good! If it comes back on though I'll do the t Stat next. Om the original there was slight seepage around the threads.

20230305_113642.jpg

20230305_115536.jpg

20230305_121928.jpg