Should my 2017 JKU have lighting in the center console?

Just did a little research and on the bulb is EWG203 and found that a 658 GE will work. If you could find a LED that would cross over it would last longer. That is if it wouldn't cause problem with the electronics.

Reactions: mrjp
Okay, this is the correct bulb for my 2017 Jeep Unlimited Sport. Not sure how many models this fits, so double check your model...

Just make sure when you buy it, get the 2.3 watt, not the similar 1.1 Watt which is actually 0.015 thousandths of an inch larger. It won't fit in the socket...I put my dial caliper on it to verify that.

BTW, I got it back in the hole but could not make the twist with one or both hands to lock it on...It is in there and I think the inside of the console itself will hold it in there...But I think I'll just buy another shift knob and rip the other out...I was able to slide the bottom of it down, and used a good plastic/rubber gripping jar opener on it. Pulled the top cap off but the knob is not coming off short of using channel lock pliers on it...! Or I think I'll use my dremmel bits on the bottom of it where it locks to the shaft, add some relief slits...This one is solid, non-slitted, unlike the one in the video.

Bulb.jpg

Last edited:
Finally got the knob off...What did it for me was pulling the shifter all the way to the rear, then I was able to get the proper angle and used my leg as a fulcrum. Pop, off it came, just keep your face back out of the way....;) Takes quite a lot of strength...I should add that the tip of the shaft is shaped sort of like a wide fish hook which protrude out. This is what makes it so hard to get off...! I'm going to change mine out for a Quadratech Knob...

RB

Bulb 1.jpg

Bulb2.jpg

Knob Removal from You Tube

When we were putting in my racing clutch, I got a black eye when I removed the 5sp knob. Then I found out how to do it on Y Tube. Only was a member of my GMT 400 forum back then. I am right handed so it was my right eye. LOL

This thread gave me reason to look at my console when I drove home from work last night- no lighted gear indicator. Looks like I'll be changing mine out this weekend. Gonna have to pull the knob off the 4X shifter, my hands are way too big to get under there without popping the entire console cover off.
And the cup holder lights are lame as hell, may as well not even be there for the dim green light they have. Going to dig into that as well.

The bulb is a 2721or equivalent, I believe.
The bulb is a Sylvania 2723 2.3W...Just replaced mine yesterday....

Make sure you pull that shift handle all the way back, so you can get a good angle while pulling on it. It's a bit tough but it will come off...I'm a little guy 6 foot 160 lbs, smaller hands..Even as small as my hands and fingers are, I still could not install the bulb housing. Got it in the hole, but could turn it to lock it in place. Much easier taking the console cover off...!

Reactions: Anybodyhome
I was just going to ask about that 4-wheel drive stick knob....Sucker looks hard to get off, like it's pressed on there. Saw some people on you tube using channel locks, vice grips etc, and messing it up...! You'd think there would be a set screw, argh...! Looks like plastic locking into some notches in the shaft metal...I have small hands. I may be able to get in there. I was in aircraft maintenance in the Air Force and as a civilian, Lots of experience in those tight areas I guess...We'll see...
It's a finesse job, but literally just pulls off--don't need to use any tools. I pulled like a maniac for a few miutes and was scared I'd break something. Tried that a couple times, and then tried again not pulling as hard (but gae it a little twist) and BOOP! Popped right off. A set screw definitely would have been a smarter move, but then sometimes I think engineers pull crap like this just for a laugh. Go AF!

Reactions: mrjp and Rockinrod
It's a finesse job, but literally just pulls off--don't need to use any tools. I pulled like a maniac for a few miutes and was scared I'd break something. Tried that a couple times, and then tried again not pulling as hard (but gae it a little twist) and BOOP! Popped right off. A set screw definitely would have been a smarter move, but then sometimes I think engineers pull crap like this just for a laugh. Go AF!
After pulling mine off, I found a small nut and put inside the hole in the knob to keep it from locking back down.

My six speed knob comes off too easy now, with a slight twist and pull. Have to be gentle when putting it in reverse.

After reading this thread I put a new bulb in mine, it definitely took some strength and patience to get the transfer case knob off like everyone else has stated.