Should my 2017 JKU have lighting in the center console?

Rockinrod

I have a 2017 Unlimited Sport. Never paid much attention to this since it was new. But wife wife mentioned that the console is not lit up like the rest of the instruments, etc...at night.

I ask a service rep here at the Jeep dealer about this, he said he was not sure. And that maybe it depended on which model i had. I don't buy that...So my question is, shouldn't the center console have indirect lighting in it, so you can see which gears you are in at night? I will check the book. And fuse box...

Thanks,

R Bell

Console light.jpg

That's what i was thinking...I'll look into that. Maybe a fuse, not sure. No cup holder lights or console.

Thanks Chris...

Rod

That bulb is an easy fix it’s just a tight spot, you have to turn the bulb if I remember correctly , it was a pain because my fingers were way too big, I remember doing it without taking the shift knobs off.
I was just going to ask about that 4-wheel drive stick knob....Sucker looks hard to get off, like it's pressed on there. Saw some people on you tube using channel locks, vice grips etc, and messing it up...! You'd think there would be a set screw, argh...! Looks like plastic locking into some notches in the shaft metal...I have small hands. I may be able to get in there. I was in aircraft maintenance in the Air Force and as a civilian, Lots of experience in those tight areas I guess...We'll see...

Reactions: mrjp
I just shifted both knobs to be straight up and pulled the console as high as it can go, no need to take off the knob, that’s why it was tight, had to wiggle hands in there but it was much easier then taking off the pain in the butt knob, I believe it’s held in there by pressure no set screw

Reactions: Rockinrod
gear idication should also be shown on your dash bezel with your tach. The knobs pull right off. Pull straight up shifting them right and left ever so slightly while pulling up.

I just shifted both knobs to be straight up and pulled the console as high as it can go, no need to take off the knob, that’s why it was tight, had to wiggle hands in there but it was much easier then taking off the pain in the butt knob, I believe it’s held in there by pressure no set screw
I'll do it with knobs on...I tried pulling it off by hand last night...No go....

gear idication should also be shown on your dash bezel with your tach. The knobs pull right off. Pull straight up shifting them right and left ever so slightly while pulling up.
What year model Jeep is yours? Mine is 2017....Not four year old yet. maybe the older it is the harder it is to get off.

I was just going to ask about that 4-wheel drive stick knob....Sucker looks hard to get off, like it's pressed on there. Saw some people on you tube using channel locks, vice grips etc, and messing it up...! You'd think there would be a set screw, argh...! Looks like plastic locking into some notches in the shaft metal...I have small hands. I may be able to get in there. I was in aircraft maintenance in the Air Force and as a civilian, Lots of experience in those tight areas I guess...We'll see...
I saw a video on how to remove the shift know it was kind of easy, you pop the lower chrome /plastic ring down this frees up the knob and you can pull it straight off:

Last edited:
I pulled up the console cover and got it out without pulling the knob off...Now to get it back in... :p Went to the Jeep dealer and of course they didn't have it in stock...Got a pack of two at Auto Zone...

Here's the old one...

Bulb Console.jpg

Reactions: mrjp and BLACKJKU
I saw a video on how to remove the shift know it was kind of easy, you pop the lower chrome /plastic ring down this frees up the knob and you can pull it straight off:
I saw that too...I tried to use the screwdriver a stubby one. That plastic damages very easy....I guess worse scenario, just buy a new one...

I pulled up the console cover and got it out without pulling the knob off...Now to get it back in... :p Went to the Jeep dealer and of course they didn't have it in stock...Got a pack of two at Auto Zone...

Here's the old one...

View attachment 117437

You might give the Part Number for those that might need it.

Soon as I can tear in to it, I'll let you know.....I'm at the Pensacola NAS BTW, but I was USAF, he
This thread gave me reason to look at my console when I drove home from work last night- no lighted gear indicator. Looks like I'll be changing mine out this weekend. Gonna have to pull the knob off the 4X shifter, my hands are way too big to get under there without popping the entire console cover off.
And the cup holder lights are lame as hell, may as well not even be there for the dim green light they have. Going to dig into that as well.

The bulb is a 2721or equivalent, I believe.

Last edited:
You might give the Part Number for those that might need it.
I need to confirm it works first. I just got back home with it...Looks the same when I compared them...I will post the photo of the package when finished...Looks similar to a Maglite bulb. Push in type.

Rod