Should Jeep Wranglers wave to Gladiators?

I wave at the gladiators if they wave at me first. I've found that most JL and JT driver's are looking down at their phone and not paying attention to their surroundings at all here in Michigan lol.

OMG. We're really having this discussion? And I'm contributing??

I got my 1st Jeep in '87... an' 82 CJ7 w/soft top, removable carpet for front only (think wide floormat), 258 & horrible 2.72 gears. First time I got a wave was in the back roads of Arkansas (was stationed there at the time) from a crusty old dude in a beat up CJ6 that looked like it had spent a lot of time as a work vehicle.

Mentioned it to a buddy of mine that owned a CJ5. He laughed and said that's a Jeeper acknowledging another poor fool that bought into the rough ride, leaky windows, and lack of speed. Never waved at Cherokees or Wagoneers or even pickups. Just wasn't done. It was a SWB thing.

It wasn't until Jeep co-opted the "Wave" to be all inclusive and people in XJ's started getting all butt-hurt because they didn't get a "wave" that these things started coming up. I never waved when I had my XJ nor did I expect one.

That said, IF I NOTICE THEM, I wave at all MB/CJ/YJ/TJ/JK/JL/JT's I see. Most of the time, for stock Unlimiteds at least I don't bother looking to see if I get a wave back. There are a LOT of women who don't get it and a wave coming from a 55yo white guy probably comes across as creepy.

Bottom line, wave don't wave. Life's too short to worry about crap like this, but it doesn't cost me a thing to be friendly.

I'm the 2-fingers wave:
1608572452064.png

I do not initiate waves to anything but other Wranglers. I don't consider it a "Jeep wave." I think it's the "Wrangler wave."

I do not wave to Gladiators (see above).

For you Jeep other model drivers, you might want to consider this mod if your feelings get hurt:

1608572665107.png

Should we wave to other Wranglers at Night?
I'm trying to teach my wife to do the wave. She curses me that she is trying to concentrate. She has started. She waved to a Renegade the other day. I had to scold her, you only wave to other Wranglers.
I had a Porsche Boxster for years. Porsche's don't wave, they flash their high beams. Well except some 911's to Boxsters. We were considered to far below the 911 on the food chain.
I wave and certainly wave back to any one, why not

Should we wave to other Wranglers at Night?
I'm trying to teach my wife to do the wave. She curses me that she is trying to concentrate. She has started. She waved to a Renegade the other day. I had to scold her, you only wave to other Wranglers.
I had a Porsche Boxster for years. Porsche's don't wave, they flash their high beams. Well except some 911's to Boxsters. We were considered to far below the 911 on the food chain.
I wave and certainly wave back to any one, why not
I remember that about Porsche owners. A good friend let me drive his 911 and another flashed as it went by. I made a derogatory comment about his parentage and my friend laughed and told my about the ritual. Side tip, if you have a nice sports car with a tuned suspension, don't cringe when your friend with a solid axle leaf sprung CJ drives it like a Jeep. Come to think of it, that was the last time I drove that vehicle.

Reactions: Anybodyhome
Ouch. Thank goodness I have a 2 door. They do not have 2 doors on the dealership lot here anymore. All 4 doors and Gladiolas.

I know, right? :D

And the last part of your post... it's almost profound... "All 4 doors and Gladiolas." Is that like "Everything is peaches and cream"? :p

Most of the time I can't tell if it's a JK/JKU or JL/JLU/JT until I'm already waving like a giddy schoolgirl (okay, maybe not that last bit, but you get my meaning). I'll wave, but I don't bother thinking about the "class" of the Jeep. If it looks like a CJ/YJ/TJ/JX, I wave. I salute MB's, thumbs up to well-outfitted 4x4's (even XJ's :p) & Classic Muscle or cool old cars, and flip off Prius owners... okay not that last bit either. I just chuckle at them.

Carry on...

Honestly, I have had a hard time until I pass a Gladiator to tell the difference from them and a JL, either way I will wave...even to a Cherokee especially if it is decked out.....

I give the Shaka...and I wave at Wranglers, built XJ’s, ZJ’s and WJ’s. Most JKU/JL/JLU/JT owners here in CA are oblivious and don’t wave even when I wave to them. I acknowledge most and I would say I get a wave back about 50% of the time.

Reactions: alvin808
I started out with a C J 5. At that time, if you saw another jeep you waved because he may be the one who comes over the dune where you were stuck.
That was 40 years ago.
I bought my JK a couple months ago, and got a wave and didn't have a clue what it was about. So that jeep driver got snubbed.
Sorry.