Satisfied with a stock JK or do I want to Modify

JeepJourney23

I’ve owned my 2017 JKU Sport S for a little over six months now, and I’m trying hard just to convince myself that I’m satisfied with my Jeep just as it is, in stock form. This is Jeep
#8 for me, and I’ve done my share of off-roading. Prior to this I’ve had a CJ-7, a YJ, 2 XJs, and 3 TJs. None of them were as nice or as expensive as this one, and I don’t know if I could bring myself to risk a bunch of trail damage to such an expensive daily driver. I’ve been lurking on the forums for quite a while, even before I bought the Jeep, trying to decide what I would want to do to it to make it just right for me, and how much I would be willing to spend on it. Where I live, Jeeps are extremely popular, and there are hundreds of them near me, many of them heavily modified and amazing to look at. One friend from church even has a 392! But when I’m honest with myself, I know I’m not going to wheel this Jeep, so I’ll probably just do some little things like different tires and a CB. I still smile every time I get in it, and turn to look at it when I walk away. Do any of you feel perfectly satisfied with your Jeep just as it is, or are you always thinking about what the next mod will be? It’s almost like some kind of disease with no cure, isn’t it? Anyway, I’ve enjoyed reading about everyone’s Jeeps, their questions, and their build threads here on the forum, and I’m glad to be part of the big Jeep family!

I’ve done a few things, but mostly non-visible but important, engine / transmission skid, transfer case skid, winch, GMRS radio, then some recovery equipment tow straps, d-rings, fire extinguisher, shovel, high-lift jack, etc. The only thing I am still thinking about is whether or not to install a 2 to 2 1/2” lift so if I want to install 35” tires some day. Mine is Rubicon HR, with a 6 speed manual so came pretty well equipped for what I’ll do in it.

But yes I still turn around and look at it. My wife enjoying it too so just got her a 2015 Sahara. Did a new bumper and winch this weekend. Will get the skids in the near future. She is wanting rock sliders.

Last edited:
I’ve done a few thinks, but mostly non-visible but important, engine / transmission skid, transfer case skid, winch, GMRS radio, then some recovery equipment tow straps, d-rings, fire extinguisher, shovel, high-lift jack, etc. The only thing I am still thinking about is whether or not to install a 2 to 2 1/2” lift so if I want to install 35” tires some day. Mine is Rubicon HR, with a 6 speed manual so came pretty well equipped for what I’ll do in it.

But yes I still turn around and look at it. My wife enjoying it too so just got her a 2015 Sahara. Did a new bumper and winch this weekend. Will get the skids in the near future. She is wanting rock sliders.

Those are some excellent mods, and you’re right that a Rubicon is pretty amazing right out of the box! It’s also neat that your wife is a Jeeper! All of my past wheeling was done on 31s and 33s, and was a lot of fun. These JKs and JKUs sure look great with 35s, though. My head is filled with ideas about headlight upgrades, Detroit Tru-tracs, lifts, re-gears, etc., but I will love driving mine even if none of those things happen!

Reactions: Danarch
My wife had wanted a JKU since 2007 when they first came out. So I caved and when I sold my TJ we bought a used 17 rubicon recon with low miles. I told my wife that this jeep will go off road and will probably get scratched and she agreed. I told her that stuff trying to deter her from buying the jeep it back fired and I`m glad it did because this thing is great and goes anywhere I have pointed it so far and we tow behind our motorhome too so we can take some trails.

Reactions: JeepJourney23
Ive got a sahara and as it is with a 3.5" lift, 35" MT's, winch and some simple low key mods, Im happy to leave it as is. Im literally finished doing anything but upkeep at this point.

I too turn and look at it when its parked. Def a type of obsession. Maybe a "disease", if you will. 😆 Cheers to all my Jeep nuts.

Last edited:
Like everyone is saying it's your Jeep and keep it like you want it, some like it stock and some like it wild.

Also glad you finally quit lurking, I don't like it when I feel someone looking over my shoulder and I can't see them.

My wife had wanted a JKU since 2007 when they first came out. So I caved and when I sold my TJ we bought a used 17 rubicon recon with low miles. I told my wife that this jeep will go off road and will probably get scratched and she agreed. I told her that stuff trying to deter her from buying the jeep it back fired and I`m glad it did because this thing is great and goes anywhere I have pointed it so far and we tow behind our motorhome too so we can take some trails.
Glad that you and your wife are enjoying exploring trails together in your Jeep. Our daughter has one of my old TJs, a 2000 model with 220,000 miles on it, and she swears she will have it for the rest of her life. Jeeps can sure become a lifestyle-changer!

Reactions: mrjp
Ive got a sahara and as it is with a 3.5" lift, 35" MT's, winch and some simple low key mods, Im happy to leave it as is. Im literally finished doing anything but upkeep at this point.

I too turn and look at it when its parked. Def a type of obsession. Maybe a "disease", if you will. 😆 Cheers to all my Jeep nuts.
It’s neat that you have yours to a point that you can enjoy it just as it is for a while. All Jeeps are very capable and very fun, no matter what you do to them!

I had a 1998 and a 2000 TJ. Both suffered from frame rot.
I guess we were lucky. I had a 1999 and two 2000 TJs, all were southern Jeeps, and the frames were excellent. I looked at several that were in pretty rough shape, though. Here In Kentucky, the road salt is not as bad as it is up north, but there is still some salt and chemical use in the winter. A lot of the off-roading here involves mud. It’s fun to play in, but definitely not fun to clean up afterwards. I would be worried about how all the mud and water would affect the electronics on these JKs, things like the wheel speed sensors and such.

Like everyone is saying it's your Jeep and keep it like you want it, some like it stock and some like it wild.

Also glad you finally quit lurking, I don't like it when I feel someone looking over my shoulder and I can't see them.
You don’t have to worry, I promise I’m harmless! I do enjoy reading your posts though, and how you have helped many on here with the questions and the problems they have.

Reactions: BLACKJKU
I look online and put stuff in a cart daily . Then I tell myself it’s not needed and try to forget then go back the next day and do it again. Did that four days straight before I pulled the trigger on my fabric doors . Now it’s new wheels……
I can definitely relate to that feeling of indecision about stuff. I feel like I study too much and over-think things a lot. Hope all of your mods turn out well for you!

I am responding as one that’s by all means NOT a spring chicken. I have a 2018 JK that is all stock and I wouldn’t have it any other way. I commend all of you that raise, lift, wide did this and that, but not a cup of tea for all. I have had all of that in the past, but my wife and I enjoy getting into ours and driving 80 down the road without all the humming, road noises and everything else that goes with many upgrades. And most of all, no Jeep ( Just empty every pocket) issues. 🤷‍♂️ Maybe I have just gotten lucky, but love ours just the way it is. That is the take from one of your gray-haired Jeep enthusiast.