Satisfied with a stock JK or do I want to Modify

The funny thing is, the JK is perfectly capable out of the box for running light trails, even in Sport/Base form. However, I nearly always recommend better tires for just about any vehicle as they can make a world of difference in driveability depending on local conditions.
But yeah, enjoy your Jeep. I've got mine just about dialed in to where I want it but that's me. That's the fun thing about Jeeps, everyone has their vision/taste/flavor, which makes them so much more interesting.

But I swear, if I come across an unmolested CJ in good shape, I'm jumping on it to restore to factory.
Okay, maybe 31's.
And a stereo.
And carpet.
Crap! Here we go again...

;)

I am responding as one that’s by all means NOT a spring chicken. I have a 2018 JK that is all stock and I wouldn’t have it any other way. I commend all of you that raise, lift, wide did this and that, but not a cup of tea for all. I have had all of that in the past, but my wife and I enjoy getting into ours and driving 80 down the road without all the humming, road noises and everything else that goes with many upgrades. And most of all, no Jeep ( Just empty every pocket) issues. 🤷‍♂️ Maybe I have just gotten lucky, but love ours just the way it is. That is the take from one of your gray-haired Jeep enthusiast.
Like you, I’m certainly not a spring chicken! I’ve had plenty of varied Jeep experiences over the years, and loved each one for what it was. I guess the argument can always be made that we can do something to improve our Jeeps, but I’m really pretty impressed with this JKU just as it came from the factory. I’ll add a personal touch here or there, but I believe this Jeep can do anything I will need it to do just as it is, except maybe get good gas mileage!

Reactions: Mrob
The funny thing is, the JK is perfectly capable out of the box for running light trails, even in Sport/Base form. However, I nearly always recommend better tires for just about any vehicle as they can make a world of difference in driveability depending on local conditions.
But yeah, enjoy your Jeep. I've got mine just about dialed in to where I want it but that's me. That's the fun thing about Jeeps, everyone has their vision/taste/flavor, which makes them so much more interesting.

But I swear, if I come across an unmolested CJ in good shape, I'm jumping on it to restore to factory.
Okay, maybe 31's.
And a stereo.
And carpet.
Crap! Here we go again...

;)
I’m with you on the tires. When these wear out I will probably get a boring set of BFG AT/KO2s. They are not very good in the mud, but I’m finished playing in the mud anyway, and I’ve had good luck with them almost everywhere else. My CJ-7 was probably my most “fun” Jeep. It was an ugly brown color, and the floorboards were rusted out, so you could see the road or the trail passing under your feet. We affectionately called it, “The Turd”, but it was a blast to drive, and made you feel like it could take you anywhere.

I bought a used complete softtop for $400 and some netting to keep the dog in. That's about everything I will ever do to my Jeep.

Oh, and $1200 to down grade to bestop core doors. Half doors do help it feel like a real Jeep and they are easy to take off and fit in the back.
Core doors with uppers do leak. When caught it a good rain it is necessary to pull a floor plug and keep the inside exposed to open air while the carpet dries. They do add to the fun factor, but the stream of water is amazing.

The stock JK is already higher and more capable than my stock TJ.

Don

Reactions: JeepJourney23
I bought a used complete softtop for $400 and some netting to keep the dog in. That's about everything I will ever do to my Jeep.

Oh, and $1200 to down grade to bestop core doors. Half doors do help it feel like a real Jeep and they are easy to take off and fit in the back.
Core doors with uppers do leak. When caught it a good rain it is necessary to pull a floor plug and keep the inside exposed to open air while the carpet dries. They do add to the fun factor, but the stream of water is amazing.

The stock JK is already higher and more capable than my stock TJ.

Don
See, that’s what I’m talking about. You’ve done a couple of things to meet your individual needs, but you realize that your Jeep is already capable enough to do what you need it to do. I admire many of the heavily modified Jeeps I see, and maybe sometimes I’m a little envious, but I’m older and at a different stage of my life than most of you. There are a few things I may wish would be different about my Jeep, but they are really just wants, not needs. I really enjoy reading about and seeing what others have done to their vehicles to get them “just right”. For some, it seems to be a never-ending quest, but for others like you, it’s all pretty simple. I’m glad you are happy with yours like you have it!

Reactions: Danarch
My Jeep is probably more capable than I am ever going to do with it but but I've always wanted one that was modified and now at this stage of the game for me I can afford it so that's why I'm doing it just to fulfill a lifetime dream.

My Jeep is probably more capable than I am ever going to do with it but but I've always wanted one that was modified and now at this stage of the game for me I can afford it so that's why I'm doing it just to fulfill a lifetime dream.
I’m glad that you are able to fulfill your dream, and that you enjoy doing it. It’s fun for me to see everyone’s pictures and read their build threads. Some of the ideas for mods are amazing, and the aftermarket vendors do a great job of providing just about anything you can imagine for these JKs and JKUs.

I have a 2016 rubicon, couldn't deal with the 32" tires and wheels. Had those upgraded, along with the 1941 brightness headlights.

I have a 2016 rubicon, couldn't deal with the 32" tires and wheels. Had those upgraded, along with the 1941 brightness headlights.
I’m going to try to stick with the 32s, but you are sure right about the headlights. My Sport is a 2017, and I believe the Sahara and Rubicon models that year were the first with the LED headlights. I wish mine had them, and I will probably upgrade the lights. Not sure yet whether I would go with H4 halogen or LED.

I’m going to try to stick with the 32s, but you are sure right about the headlights. My Sport is a 2017, and I believe the Sahara and Rubicon models that year were the first with the LED headlights. I wish mine had them, and I will probably upgrade the lights. Not sure yet whether I would go with H4 halogen or LED.
H4 Cibies and Osram bulbs are great. I dislike a lot of LED's on the market because of the glare/blue light. I like usable light that isn't harsh. That said, I do have JW Speakers and am very happy with them, but have had Cibie's in a few other JK's.

H4 Cibies and Osram bulbs are great. I dislike a lot of LED's on the market because of the glare/blue light. I like usable light that isn't harsh. That said, I do have JW Speakers and am very happy with them, but have had Cibie's in a few other JK's.
I have read posts from you and others about the H4 with Cibie or Hella, and will definitely consider going that route. Will also look into some plug-and-play replacements for the driving lights eventually.

Most LEDs use cheap led with high kelvin, jwspeaker was the lowest I found at 5000 kelvins.
If they made 4000 or 4500, I'd be happy.

I'm a flashlight hobbyist and all my lights are in those ranges, easier on the eyes and more accurate colors.

Most LEDs use cheap led with high kelvin, jwspeaker was the lowest I found at 5000 kelvins.
If they made 4000 or 4500, I'd be happy.

I'm a flashlight hobbyist and all my lights are in those ranges, easier on the eyes and more accurate colors.
Thanks to both of you for the headlight input. I’m 66, and my night vision isn’t as good as it used to be. The stock headlights aren’t very good for me to see deer ahead, and we have a lot of them around here. We also get a little snow and ice at times during the winter, and I’ve read that the LED lights won’t melt the ice unless you get the more expensive heated ones. I may just look into changing the housings and going from H13 to brighter H4 bulbs to see how that does.

Thanks to both of you for the headlight input. I’m 66, and my night vision isn’t as good as it used to be. The stock headlights aren’t very good for me to see deer ahead, and we have a lot of them around here. We also get a little snow and ice at times during the winter, and I’ve read that the LED lights won’t melt the ice unless you get the more expensive heated ones. I may just look into changing the housings and going from H13 to brighter H4 bulbs to see how that does.
Us 60 is a deer haven in the fall , early winter months. I keep my eyes peeled every time I drive it.

Us 60 is a deer haven in the fall , early winter months. I keep my eyes peeled every time I drive it.
Yes, it is, and we live near it. The deer are so overpopulated, and don’t seem to be as afraid of people and vehicles as they used to be. It’s nearing their mating season, so as you said, we have to keep our eyes peeled.

I've hit several deer in our area over the years. I used to run inexpensive Hella 500's pointed slightly outward to light up the fields/brush to give me a fighting chance. Yeah, I'll amend my initial post to say along with tires, headlights are almost a mandatory upgrade. I live in Michigan and have the unheated LED's. I wouldn't worry too much about LED icing in KY. I do coat 'em pretty good with Rain-X, which seems to help.

I've hit several deer in our area over the years. I used to run inexpensive Hella 500's pointed slightly outward to light up the fields/brush to give me a fighting chance. Yeah, I'll amend my initial post to say along with tires, headlights are almost a mandatory upgrade. I live in Michigan and have the unheated LED's. I wouldn't worry too much about LED icing in KY. I do coat 'em pretty good with Rain-X, which seems to help.
Knock on wood, I guess, but so far I have never hit a deer head on. I did however, have a deer slam into the driver’s side door of the TJ that my daughter drives now. Somehow, it busted both the front and back fender flares while pushing in the door a little bit. It was in downtown Paducah on the four-lane loop, and sounded like a cannon going off when it hit. Better lights may not have helped in that incident, but usually they would.